2019 Toyota RAV4

DACH

For the price BM is selling the Rav 4, CX-5 wins hands down. In price, quality and specs. I think the CH-R has better interior quality and features. I think it is for the die hard Camry buyers/uncles that no longer want to pay 140k for a Camry. 

CH-R interior feels too clamped and claustrophobic for the thick C pillar.

↡ Advertisement

CH-R interior feels too clamped and claustrophobic for the thick C pillar.

I was referring to the quality of the interior and not space. The Rav4 is spacious and is good if you need the space. The interior quality looks similar to the Altis's interior.

The dashboard looks like digital. Is it fully digital or still partially analogue?

Looks full digital to me.

Dunno will lag or not hahahah

Neutral Newbie

Looks full digital to me.

Dunno will lag or not hahahah

It's confirmed Analogue. 

FULLY ANALOGUE for a 2019 release car. What a joke. Spoke to BM staff and they said because this was factory-fitted. And plus unit is not a plug-and-play screen thing, it's a whole piece. So likely need to replace the entire HU including CD-rack. So as a result this DOES NOT have a reverse camera too.

I think if they bring in the higher trims, by the time mark-up, will be similar in price to harrier, and then they got nothing to place in the 120k range to compete w cx-5/forester range (yes i know omv of forester sucks). This one's OMV is decent at 28k

What a waste though, most cars now come with reverse camera as standard.. Not that I need it, but it gives that extra insurance when reversing in tight corners. 

Good thing is rear seat area is spacious even when configured driver's seat to my height (I'm 1.85m tall)

Still hopeful for BM to bring in a 2.0L hybrid or nicer trims. Love the white one w the black coloring design and blacked out wheels. 

It's confirmed Analogue.

FULLY ANALOGUE for a 2019 release car. What a joke. Spoke to BM staff and they said because this was factory-fitted. And plus unit is not a plug-and-play screen thing, it's a whole piece. So likely need to replace the entire HU including CD-rack. So as a result this DOES NOT have a reverse camera too.

I think if they bring in the higher trims, by the time mark-up, will be similar in price to harrier, and then they got nothing to place in the 120k range to compete w cx-5/forester range (yes i know omv of forester sucks). This one's OMV is decent at 28k

What a waste though, most cars now come with reverse camera as standard.. Not that I need it, but it gives that extra insurance when reversing in tight corners.

Good thing is rear seat area is spacious even when configured driver's seat to my height (I'm 1.85m tall)

Still hopeful for BM to bring in a 2.0L hybrid or nicer trims. Love the white one w the black coloring design and blacked out wheels.

Which is more spacious in interior? Harrier or rav4?

Went to test drive (Ubi) the RAV4, Harrier Turbo and lastly the CH-R this afternoon. Quite free today. I know the SE long enough to test drive the 3. LoL...

I was told even Japan has not launch the new RAV4 yet. So the test drive unit that has that HU isn't the actual unit. But dunno how true cos to have something like Apple Carplay or Android Auto it can easily jack up the omv additional 5K( with all the BT, GPS license, Reverse Camera, video/audio playback can easily add up the cost). OMV is close to 30K for this car. Selling at close to120K the profit margin is very slim. So if ppl expect a good HU you will likely to see price tag go up. By how much I dunno. So expect something cheap or some locally fitted unit maybe, I really dont know. SE also dunno. haha...

This car comes 2.0L NA mated to a 10speed CVT gb, torque converter. At first I was also doubtful, 10 speed sia...when I use the tiptronic I was able to get it up to 9 speed. 10 speed I probably have to go really fast.

Power rating is 170hp, Torque figures 203Nm. No turbo lah. So don't compare with Harrier. Haha... Kerb weight....I forgot, got to look at the brochure. Somewhere 1.4ton I think.

With the 10sp CVT it can get up to speed pretty quickly I must say. The engine does not sound strained even when push hard, very refined, very hushed. Sports mode....don't bother, it's just holding the gear ratios longer. Best drive in Normal mode.

Throttle respond is good. It reacts to your right foot inputs readily despite it having a cvt gb. No cvt whine or cvt lag. Smooth linear acceleration.

Handling is firm/tout but not say uncomfortable or back jarring. It's actually comfy, good for long drives. Compared to the Harrier...harrier suspension feels softer, more body roll around bends. Feels a bit floaty even. Maybe becos of how fast it goes. Straight line speed for Harrier isno doubt fast but the suspension don't give you the confidence to go fast around bends. The smaller CH-R actually handles best among the 3 but not apple to apple. Maybe power to weight is similar to Rav4. Adequate but not overwhelming.

Interior is well put together. Not like in the past...those assembled in Thailand. The one I test drive has a black interior with black or grey roof lining. Same with the Harrier and CH-R. Wireless phone charging, rear aircon, electric tailgate, safety sensing, radar cruise control, push button engine start/stop, lane departure warning , auto start/stop (all these can be switch off if you find it annoying). Only thing missing is the rear view camera when parking cos of the HU that came with it.

The Dash is a bit weird though with the half analog dials at the two ends and a digital speedo in the center. Maybe due to cost so no full digital.

The exterior colour, urban khaki looks kinda military. Not bad looking. Alloy wheels are 18" on the test unit, smoke chrome-ish. Tire profile kinda high, couldn't see the specs. Overall is quite good in terms of value and build. The new Camry and Harrier both omv around 30K selling at 140K. Of course some will say no turbo. It feels more modern over the Harrier (which in my opinion looks like lao hero with the eagle).

For me a family of four I think it's good enough. Have to see what the missus say. I didn't bring her and the kids along. I also haven't try out the competitors.

• Praise 14

(edited)

For 119k, the Rav 4 is priced to compete head-on with the CX-5 2.0. It will be interesting who shows up at the finishing line this year. My vote goes to CX-5.

How about the Forester? Edited by DACH

I also think the rav4 is good value and was somewhat wowed when I was told the price. But I would wait for the higher trim levels first. They only have one trim level that is too basic. Toyota sense is cool. But having old school headunit it is unforgivable for this car. It is silly, but come on!

I also agree the CRV 7-seater is pricey, and I justified some of the price difference through lower road tax and insurance.

For me, it really came down to intangibles. When a car designer and engineer build a car, they build it holistically around a specific engine, gearbox, chassis and specific success criteria. After they build the 'ideal' version, they create variants with bigger/small engines etc. But it doesn't change the fact that the car was built around a specific drivetrain.

I found it harder to justify some models, because SG always gets down-rated versions due to our laws. That is, we always get models where the engine and gearbox was never actually designed for the car in the first place. Cx5 and Rav4 are examples of this, as both were built around 2.5l engines and 6/8 speed gearboxes. In other words, we don't get the experience that the engineer or the designer envisaged. Rather we get a watered down experience.

That's partly why I like the CRV. It was always intended to be the 1.5T engine, CVT transmission etc. So we get the same experience our US counterparts get (but at 5x the price). It's super intangible, but that's part of why I like the CRV.

But you choose your car that you like and works for you, your family and budget. As long as you're happy with the purchase, I think that matters the most. It's hardly a science. It's all down to personal choice and budget.

Very sensible MCFer. Wish the forum will be filled with more people like you instead of those funny joker's.

Enjoy ur car!

Went to test drive (Ubi) the RAV4, Harrier Turbo and lastly the CH-R this afternoon. Quite free today. I know the SE long enough to test drive the 3. LoL...

I was told even Japan has not launch the new RAV4 yet. So the test drive unit that has that HU isn't the actual unit. But dunno how true cos to have something like Apple Carplay or Android Auto it can easily jack up the omv additional 5K( with all the BT, GPS license, Reverse Camera, video/audio playback can easily add up the cost). OMV is close to 30K for this car. Selling at close to120K the profit margin is very slim. So if ppl expect a good HU you will likely to see price tag go up. By how much I dunno. So expect something cheap or some locally fitted unit maybe, I really dont know. SE also dunno. haha...

This car comes 2.0L NA mated to a 10speed CVT gb, torque converter. At first I was also doubtful, 10 speed sia...when I use the tiptronic I was able to get it up to 9 speed. 10 speed I probably have to go really fast.

Power rating is 170hp, Torque figures 203Nm. No turbo lah. So don't compare with Harrier. Haha... Kerb weight....I forgot, got to look at the brochure. Somewhere 1.4ton I think.

With the 10sp CVT it can get up to speed pretty quickly I must say. The engine does not sound strained even when push hard, very refined, very hushed. Sports mode....don't bother, it's just holding the gear ratios longer. Best drive in Normal mode.

Throttle respond is good. It reacts to your right foot inputs readily despite it having a cvt gb. No cvt whine or cvt lag. Smooth linear acceleration.

Handling is firm/tout but not say uncomfortable or back jarring. It's actually comfy, good for long drives. Compared to the Harrier...harrier suspension feels softer, more body roll around bends. Feels a bit floaty even. Maybe becos of how fast it goes. Straight line speed for Harrier isno doubt fast but the suspension don't give you the confidence to go fast around bends. The smaller CH-R actually handles best among the 3 but not apple to apple. Maybe power to weight is similar to Rav4. Adequate but not overwhelming.

Interior is well put together. Not like in the past...those assembled in Thailand. The one I test drive has a black interior with black or grey roof lining. Same with the Harrier and CH-R. Wireless phone charging, rear aircon, electric tailgate, safety sensing, radar cruise control, push button engine start/stop, lane departure warning , auto start/stop (all these can be switch off if you find it annoying). Only thing missing is the rear view camera when parking cos of the HU that came with it.

The Dash is a bit weird though with the half analog dials at the two ends and a digital speedo in the center. Maybe due to cost so no full digital.

The exterior colour, urban khaki looks kinda military. Not bad looking. Alloy wheels are 18" on the test unit, smoke chrome-ish. Tire profile kinda high, couldn't see the specs. Overall is quite good in terms of value and build. The new Camry and Harrier both omv around 30K selling at 140K. Of course some will say no turbo. It feels more modern over the Harrier (which in my opinion looks like lao hero with the eagle).

For me a family of four I think it's good enough. Have to see what the missus say. I didn't bring her and the kids along. I also haven't try out the competitors.

excellent and insightful sharing of test drive experience! will go down and test drive

How about the Forester?

Forrester is a different league due to its Turbo powerplant. It is for people who want the power and space of a Harrier but not willing to pay Harrier's price. I personally think Forrester is overpowered.  A lot of body roll when cornering and brakes cannot handle the power. Can be dangerous if you are not a skilful driver. Also lacks refinement. Design wise, its individual taste. Would you consider a Forrester if you are considering a Rav4 or CX-5?

Edited by EdwinLee_146267
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1