COE renewal question

bhwee

Sorry not sure about the timing.

Should work if you renew in the morning and lf the system allow you to renew your road tax in the afternoon/evening, you can drive the next day (start of your new COE period).

But too many if, for comfort............

I renewed COe and road tax at the counter at the same time.

No need to wait till afternoon.

But must renew insurance way before.

↡ Advertisement

hihi sorry to keep repeating the same kind of qn 

my coe for opc vios expires 9 march 2019. when is the latest i can renew my coe ? also, should i convert to normal b4 or after i renew coe? when is the ideal date range?

You can renew coe anytime from now. But since COE is on a downward trend, I'd rather you wait till March 2019's 1st COE bidding results (Wednesday, 6th March 2019, 4pm). Then you see the PQP (average 3 months), then can go renew le. Renew at LTA SIn Ming, pay road tax at the same time, then drive behind those workshops to change to normal car number plate. All can be done within an hour or 2.

9th March expire cannot wait for March result.

Correction, PQP for March 2019 result only on 2nd bidding of the month. So should be 20th February 2019 Wednesday 4pm onwards.

Edited by Zxcvb

hihi sorry to keep repeating the same kind of qn 

my coe for opc vios expires 9 march 2019. when is the latest i can renew my coe ? also, should i convert to normal b4 or after i renew coe? when is the ideal date range?

1. COE latest renewal is by 8th March 2019, of cos u can wait for 1 mth (cannot drive) but pay $100 late renewal upon renewal and renewal start date is from vehicle last day.

2. OPC coversion can be done on the very last day, cost $100 for conversion and $2 last day road tax.

I renewed COe and road tax at the counter at the same time.

No need to wait till afternoon.

But must renew insurance way before.

Yes that is provided you renewed your insurance way before.

My reply was for insurance renewal in the morning and paying road tax in the afternoon (after the system is updated with valid insurance). [laugh]

You can renew coe anytime from now. But since COE is on a downward trend, I'd rather you wait till March 2019's 1st COE bidding results (Wednesday, 6th March 2019, 4pm). Then you see the PQP (average 3 months), then can go renew le. Renew at LTA SIn Ming, pay road tax at the same time, then drive behind those workshops to change to normal car number plate. All can be done within an hour or 2.

oh ok ... meaning the PQP as of 6th March, will be based on 5 COEs or 6 COEs average ? 

then what about the insurance ? when need to sync up the insurance? have to apprioach axa (my insurer) or they will inform me?

1. COE latest renewal is by 8th March 2019, of cos u can wait for 1 mth (cannot drive) but pay $100 late renewal upon renewal and renewal start date is from vehicle last day.

2. OPC coversion can be done on the very last day, cost $100 for conversion and $2 last day road tax.

so i can wait for the first COE release in march right ...

OPC conversion can be done together with the renewal of COE same day right? 

hmm what abt the insurnace?

Edited by Afarty

oh ok ... meaning the PQP as of 6th March, will be based on 5 COEs or 6 COEs average ? 

then what about the insurance ? when need to sync up the insurance? have to apprioach axa (my insurer) or they will inform me?

All PQP result will be on the 2nd bidding of the month. There's no PQP result on 1st bidding of the month. So your COE renewal on March will take PQP result on 20th February 2019 Wednesday 4pm.

Yes, OPC conversion can be done together on the same day. If you want to do it slightly earlier like a week before it expires, you just have to pay a small fee for the pro-rated road tax.

Just like any other year, always pay your insurance before road tax. Also inform insurance you converting to normal plate.

All PQP result will be on the 2nd bidding of the month. There's no PQP result on 1st bidding of the month. So your COE renewal on March will take PQP result on 20th February 2019 Wednesday 4pm.

Yes, OPC conversion can be done together on the same day. If you want to do it slightly earlier like a week before it expires, you just have to pay a small fee for the pro-rated road tax.

Just like any other year, always pay your insurance before road tax. Also inform insurance you converting to normal plate.

ohhhh .... first week of march that result does not result in PQP .... i see .. so latest is end feb that one .... so i need to approach my axa i guess

ohhhh .... first week of march that result does not result in PQP .... i see .. so latest is end feb that one .... so i need to approach my axa i guess

eh paiseh .... followup question .... assuming i plan to do my renewal of coe + conversion of opc (on the same day at LTA?) on end-feb (i.e. after the second round of coe announced) and before my coe expiry in early march ... when should i renew my car insurance? i mean .... is it a matter of calling up my existing insurer to say i plan to renew my coe with normal plate and get a quotation or how? cos typically, my insurer will send out the new quotation ebfore it expires ... so in this case, when to do it, and the coverage how to know starts from when  [confused]  

eh paiseh .... followup question .... assuming i plan to do my renewal of coe + conversion of opc (on the same day at LTA?) on end-feb (i.e. after the second round of coe announced) and before my coe expiry in early march ... when should i renew my car insurance? i mean .... is it a matter of calling up my existing insurer to say i plan to renew my coe with normal plate and get a quotation or how? cos typically, my insurer will send out the new quotation ebfore it expires ... so in this case, when to do it, and the coverage how to know starts from when [confused]

Why you worry? When comes to collecting money, your insurance will be very prompt in sending you a letter to renew 1-2months before COE ends.

Actually you can also convert to normal plate anytime now. Don’t have to wait till end of COE. You can’t siam the $100 admin fee one.

LTA dont bother about insurance when u renew COE. Only when u wanna pay road tax at Vicom/STA, they will ask. If your car COE is due in March, after 2nd bid of normal QP in feb you can decide to pay in march or feb (whichever is lower)

For renewal no inspection required and to break the OPC eal need not go for any inspection, just get a workshop to break it and place the normal scheme plate will do.

Why you worry? When comes to collecting money, your insurance will be very prompt in sending you a letter to renew 1-2months before COE ends.

Actually you can also convert to normal plate anytime now. Don’t have to wait till end of COE. You can’t siam the $100 admin fee one.

TO convert anytime, he will need to top up roadtax and ARF for the balance duration.

Edited by cmcex

I am a newbie here, could you please help to find the best solution for my case:

I recently bought a 2nd hand Honda Civic, COE expired on 16 Apr 2019. Road tax is also fully paid until then. However, when I bought a car, my insurance plan is from 21 Nov 2018 to 20 Nov 2019. In that case how could I align the COE, road tax and insurance plan together? And I know that I will need to send my car for inspection before I can renew the road tax, and with the current insurance plan, I think I can not renew the road tax for 1 year (till Apr 2020) since the insurance is not up to that date.

Besides, when we renew the COE, e.g in March, is the new COE start from that date, or from the end of that month? I am a bit confused since there are contradictory information from many posts herein.

Thank you very much. 

I am a newbie here, could you please help to find the best solution for my case:

I recently bought a 2nd hand Honda Civic, COE expired on 16 Apr 2019. Road tax is also fully paid until then. However, when I bought a car, my insurance plan is from 21 Nov 2018 to 20 Nov 2019. In that case how could I align the COE, road tax and insurance plan together? And I know that I will need to send my car for inspection before I can renew the road tax, and with the current insurance plan, I think I can not renew the road tax for 1 year (till Apr 2020) since the insurance is not up to that date.

Besides, when we renew the COE, e.g in March, is the new COE start from that date, or from the end of that month? I am a bit confused since there are contradictory information from many posts herein.

Thank you very much. 

the last vehicle inspection should have been done on the 9th year, i.e. by 17 April 2018. assuming the new COE start date is 17 April 2019, the due date for the next inspection is on 16 April 2020.

i believe insurance companies do not offer insurance coverage for anything less than a year. at least, that's what AIG told me. so in order to align the insurance coverage period with the road tax, you need to extend the insurance coverage period to 16 April 2021 when you renew the insurance by 20 November 2019, i.e. 21 November 2019 to 20 November 2020 (1 year) + 21 November 2020 to 16 April 2021 (slightly less than 6 months).

regarding the new COE start date, it may sound a bit confusing. so just refer to this link. https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/onemotoring/home/owning/coe-renewal.html

Edited by Spinelli_ck

the last vehicle inspection should have been done on the 9th year, i.e. by 17 April 2018. assuming the new COE start date is 17 April 2019, the due date for the next inspection is on 16 April 2020.

i believe insurance companies do not offer insurance coverage for anything less than a year. at least, that's what AIG told me. so in order to align the insurance coverage period with the road tax, you need to extend the insurance coverage period to 16 April 2021 when you renew the insurance by 20 November 2019, i.e. 21 November 2019 to 20 November 2020 (1 year) + 21 November 2020 to 16 April 2021 (slightly less than 6 months).

regarding the new COE start date, it may sound a bit confusing. so just refer to this link. https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/onemotoring/home/owning/coe-renewal.html

Thank you very much. All of my concerns have been cleared. 

So from my understanding, the order of action I need to do is as follow:

1/ Get the COE renewal

2/ Extend the current insurance plan (expired by 20 November 2019) to 17 Apr 2020 so it will be aligned with the new Road tax

3/ After the insurance is extended, get the Road tax renewed for 1 year till 17 Apr 2020.

Does that look right or anything else I need to care also?

Thank you very much. All of my concerns have been cleared. 

So from my understanding, the order of action I need to do is as follow:

1/ Get the COE renewal

2/ Extend the current insurance plan (expired by 20 November 2019) to 17 Apr 2020 so it will be aligned with the new Road tax

3/ After the insurance is extended, get the Road tax renewed for 1 year till 17 Apr 2020.

Does that look right or anything else I need to care also?

first, renew the COE. once the COE is renewed, pay the road tax (6-month). this is assuming your new COE start date is 17 April 2019.

when you receive the notice to renew the insurance, contact your insurer to extend the insurance coverage period to 17 April 2021, not 17 April 2020. that's how you align the insurance and road tax to expire on the same date.

• Praise 1

To those who are waiting on the sidelines to renew COE, if yours is not due, I say WAIT. 

On a conservatively note, PQP should drop to $23K / $28K for Cat A & B by mid year.

Currently at $26,047 / $31,335 for Cat A & B

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1