Bicycles shops and bicycles for young children

Fishy

As above, planning to reach my boy how to cycle. Are there any bicycle shops in Sengkang with learner bicycles? Also what is the best way to let a boy learn how to cycle? With learner wheels or remove? Need some expert fathers to advise. Thank you

↡ Advertisement

As above, planning to reach my boy how to cycle. Are there any bicycle shops in Sengkang with learner bicycles? Also what is the best way to let a boy learn how to cycle? With learner wheels or remove? Need some expert fathers to advise. Thank you

balance bicycles. Go google.

Cruzee is the best one so far.

Strider is ok but heavier.

My girl just took few hours to transit from balance bike to pedal bike. Training wheels only used for 1 hr then stored inside storeroom already.

there's a cycling or bicycle thread also. 

My girl just took few hours to transit from balance bike to pedal bike. Training wheels only used for 1 hr then stored inside storeroom already.

Thank you for the advice. Didn’t know there’s a balance bicycle. Wil research. During my time, it’s really just cycle n fall and bruise and repeat e process... and it was time consuming. Want a faster and less painful way

No pain no gain. :D

Thank you for the advice. Didn’t know there’s a balance bicycle. Wil research. During my time, it’s really just cycle n fall and bruise and repeat e process... and it was time consuming. Want a faster and less painful way

• Praise 1

well some people just want to learn it the hard way.

i tell some of my friends, they also skeptical. Say why pay more for less metal ...

Though anyone who done some reading up will attest that balance bike is the way to go.

my son is 3 yrs 4 months. his balance bike mastery is even higher than my girl. To me, he will probably transit to pedal bike within 1-2 hours, just that pedal bikes don't come so small.

yeah dont need training wheels if transition fm balance wheel to pedal bike. turning with balance wheel is the opposite of turning on a 2 wheeler so better not to introduce it at all if possible.

Just let the kids have fun on balance bike.. when they get to big for the balance bike, move to 16" pedal bike. If the kid cant manage the pedal on the 16" bike, remove the pedals 1st and use it as a balance bike for awhile. when he/she get used to the bike, put back 1 pedal... then after a day or so add the other pedal.

If u need to assist ur kid to balance, place ur arms under theirs from the back. Don't hold the bike itself.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Thank you for the advice. Didnât know thereâs a balance bicycle. Wil research. During my time, itâs really just cycle n fall and bruise and repeat e process... and it was time consuming. Want a faster and less painful way

When I learnt to cycle, I never fell once.

I only started falling after I could ride on two wheels.

No one helped or taught me... Just went out with friends and then go up a small slope and learn to balance my way down without having to pedal.

Anyway, I also never bought my bicycles when I was a kid... I would go to the dump and collect thrown away bikes and assemble them myself. Usually only the tire tubes need replacement.

Edited by Ysc3

yeah dont need training wheels if transition fm balance wheel to pedal bike. turning with balance wheel is the opposite of turning on a 2 wheeler so better not to introduce it at all if possible.

Just let the kids have fun on balance bike.. when they get to big for the balance bike, move to 16" pedal bike. If the kid cant manage the pedal on the 16" bike, remove the pedals 1st and use it as a balance bike for awhile. when he/she get used to the bike, put back 1 pedal... then after a day or so add the other pedal.

If u need to assist ur kid to balance, place ur arms under theirs from the back. Don't hold the bike itself.

yeah the training wheels i used it to get my girl ready to apply power down in her foot, cos she didnt know how to pedal correctly.

My classmate friend (who's a mum) told me about this balance bicycle thing 3 years ago, really very intuitive for the kids to learn  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

yeah the training wheels i used it to get my girl ready to apply power down in her foot, cos she didnt know how to pedal correctly.

I find most of the smaller bikes have bad ergonomics for kids to pedal. The crank length and rider triangle just seems off.

Another thing is the brake choices... most are on coaster brakes as opposed to hand brakes.

Only when we get to 20" bikes that things start to get more "right"

When I learnt to cycle, I never fell once.

I only started falling after I could ride on two wheels.

No one helped or taught me... Just went out with friends and then go up a small slope and learn to balance my way down without having to pedal.

Anyway, I also never bought my bicycles when I was a kid... I would go to the dump and collect thrown away bikes and assemble them myself. Usually only the tire tubes need replacement.

maybe not to the dumps, but I agree best to get hand me downs for bikes if starting young as they outgrow very fast. And its not a good idea to get a bigger bike for them to "grow in to it" as the ergonomics is bad... makes it very un natural for the kids.

Just sharing what we been doing. Not fastest or best way, just my way.

I got this bike from Decathlon, with the extra 2 side wheels at the rear for my boy when he turned 2.

At the beginning he only rides at home. Got him used to getting onto it and pedalling.

Now 2 years 7 mths I had started to bring him downstairs, made him wear a helmet and ride. 

He seems to enjoy it. He is able to steer, brake, ring bell, u turn. When I tell him to go fast, he says cannot.

I have no time schedule when to remove the wheels, just let it natural and observe when he is ready.

In any case, he is faster than me cos I only started cycling around 7.

14quote-dragon-bike.jpg

Edited by Columbian78

for younger kids, balance bike is the way to go.  my boys are on two wheel at around 3 year old (2nd one before 3 years old!) because of balance bikes.  Tricky thing is actually to find two wheel bikes that are that small when they graduate to real bikes, and the coaster brake is quite counter intuitive for them.  

for older kids, if empress place (farrer road) is not too far to travel, there is a guy there at block 4 who can apparently teach how to ride a bike in a matter of a few hours.  i think he sells bikes too.

I went for cheaper option. Just buy a kids bike from ntuc and remove the training wheels and use it like a training bike.

Trained my daughter to kick and roll just like a training bike. In one day, she can roll down a small slop for a fair distance. 2nd day train her to pedal.

3rd day can cycle liao.

• Praise 2

I went for cheaper option. Just buy a kids bike from ntuc and remove the training wheels and use it like a training bike.

Trained my daughter to kick and roll just like a training bike. In one day, she can roll down a small slop for a fair distance. 2nd day train her to pedal.

3rd day can cycle liao.

what was her age then?

what was her age then?

In her Primary 1.  The idea is this training bike is to get the kid to roll as far as possible without their feet touching the floor. The further they can stay on the bike,means the better their balancing. Either leg kick and roll, or find a gentle slope let them roll down. IF they can roll down all the way to bottom of the slope, can start pedal training liao.

Edited by Ender

Twincharged

3rd day can cycle liao.

yar lor ... i also learned to cycle that way .... first balancing then pedaling at the same time.

In her Primary 1. The idea is this training bike is to get the kid to roll as far as possible without their feet touching the floor. The further they can stay on the bike,means the better their balancing. Either leg kick and roll, or find a gentle slope let them roll down. IF they can roll down all the way to bottom of the slope, can start pedal training liao.

Yeah their psychomotor is more advanced at this age. So can pick things up. Faster. Anyway my dg balance bike is now my son's.

my son can coast 15-20 meters down slope (can do even much longer if got longer slope) and he's 3

So that's the advantage. And you don't even have to teach them. He just chase my wife on the uni wheel and my dg on the pedal bike

Anyway ts, have fun teaching your kids. Millions of kids learn how to cycle every year! Haha

yar lor ... i also learned to cycle that way .... first balancing then pedaling at the same time.

Problem is sg not many grass slopes

Twincharged

my son can coast 15-20 meters down slope (can do even much longer if got longer slope) and he's 3

So that's the advantage. And you don't even have to teach them. He just chase my wife on the uni wheel and my dg on the pedal bike

Anyway ts, have fun teaching your kids. Millions of kids learn how to cycle every year! Haha

Problem is sg not many grass slopes

I stayed in bedok north when I was small and would go to the park beside the PIE to roam ... and the cement slopes there were quite good and long and there were not many people around to knock into also.

I don't like grass ... resistance makes it difficult to ride, let alone balance.

but nowadays, newer estates don't have so much land for recreation.

Googled Balance bicycles. Son is 9. He’s unlikely to ride on a balance bicycle as it is mainly for smaller children. Guess got to buy him a bmx and start riding. Where is a good place to buy bicycles? Tried decathlon, a bit expensive than some neighbourhood shops I tried.

↡ Advertisement