ECU Tune after engine overhaul

Ki113r

Hi guys, my Audi 1.8TFSI was on MTM staged 1 tune.

I did an engine overhaul with new sets of Wossner pistons recently.

Would it be recommended to go for a re-tune of the ECU? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Yes.

Change new guitar strings also need to retune.

Thanks. Premium-MTM says no need to retune. Who should I approach for retune? They will take away my old map right?

You changed piston probably of the same spec but of better quality.

I see no reason to retune as the mtm stage 1 is already optimized through test and trial run baaed on original spec.

Unless you lookind at another tune that i feel is reducdant. Stick with the proven one.

You changed piston probably of the same spec but of better quality.

I see no reason to retune as the mtm stage 1 is already optimized through test and trial run baaed on original spec.

Unless you lookind at another tune that i feel is reducdant. Stick with the proven one.

Hmm ok thanks for the tips.

Hmm ok thanks for the tips.

2 things IMHO:

The tune from MTM would be optimized for a stock car in new/good condition.

So your new pistons would bring you closer to stock condition assuming you had worn parts. So no need re-tune.

2nd, my understanding is that the ECU for Audis are smart enough to make such minor adjustments, so shouldn't need re-tune.

ANyway, if MTM don't want take your money say no need re-tune, I would believe em!

• Praise 1

If your new pistons come back with different compression ratio, you need to use custom tuning, those canned map (tuner can't change any parameters) will not help.

• Praise 1

With Forged pistons, you can run higher timing + higher boost ;-)

But the DQ200 can only take 250NM max?

• Praise 1

hi bros, as far as my knowledge goes, dont need to retune. my tuner at kaki bukit advice me when i ask him the same thing and hes quite experienced. I had stage 1 non-MTM but i changed to wossner pistons oso. the mapping stays in the ecu microchip, wont lose one even if car complete reset. 

no point retuning because Ake109 say one...…..Audi ECU quite smart.

• Dislike 1

hi bros, as far as my knowledge goes, dont need to retune. my tuner at kaki bukit advice me when i ask him the same thing and hes quite experienced. I had stage 1 non-MTM but i changed to wossner pistons oso. the mapping stays in the ecu microchip, wont lose one even if car complete reset. 

no point retuning because Ake109 say one...…..Audi ECU quite smart.

You didnt really interpret your tuner remarks correctly.

1. Point of program stayed in Non-Volatile memory is Valid . Your program is not stayed on RAM ( Power off , no more). 

2. Stage-1 non-MTM settings could be not fully optimized to push to limit, as such quite a large range of  Piston  Compression ratio could be run with the Map. Typically stock map is doing so.

Your tuner might have statistic on this and do this recommendation.

I believe in science , I will not make bold assumption but experiment it out . At least run through data log to confirm the map can match the new hardware.

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys, my Audi 1.8TFSI was on MTM staged 1 tune.

I did an engine overhaul with new sets of Wossner pistons recently.

Would it be recommended to go for a re-tune of the ECU? 

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=269458443892870&id=267386614100053&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARBogWsD1pSWhPdSzwdNweMx2KcM3TRrnF0ygJT5cw8_nP5ZiCIX7NCD_isB2Ui4wHoAsBbLsc1XVtZfd_NqTinmL83flpDX2ADqbUzC35Er0O20MCImuxkf-cJ6tJpx5DCfCoo&__tn__=K-R

↡ Advertisement