Fatal Accidents - Driver or Road Problem?

Aventador

Speed limit for cyclists on pedestrian footpaths?! OMG!! hahahahahahahaha ... r u kidding me...!!! hahahahahahahaha ...

Who is enforcing this?! Pardon my reaction, but I'm seriously imagining a TP/LTA officer hiding behind some shrubs/trees/pillars, even lamp-post, with a hand-held speeding machine in his hand and catching speeding cyclists.. this is crazy [laugh][laugh] [laugh] ... so, how to catch a cyclist going at 50kmh?

This is where public education on Active Mobility is lacking or NONE existence

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en/walk-cycle-ride/rules-and-code-of-conduct.html

↡ Advertisement

Speed limit for cyclists on pedestrian footpaths?! OMG!! hahahahahahahaha ... r u kidding me...!!! hahahahahahahaha ...

Who is enforcing this?! Pardon my reaction, but I'm seriously imagining a TP/LTA officer hiding behind some shrubs/trees/pillars, even lamp-post, with a hand-held speeding machine in his hand and catching speeding cyclists.. this is crazy [laugh]  [laugh] [laugh]   ... so, how to catch a cyclist going at 50kmh?

They haven't really thought it through.  Laws that can't be enforced are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Recently I answered the survey on how I thought PMDs and cyclists should co-exist with pedestrians - and the questions showed little understanding of the potential problems, designed to get the 'correct' response.

They haven't really thought it through. Laws that can't be enforced are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Recently I answered the survey on how I thought PMDs and cyclists should co-exist with pedestrians - and the questions showed little understanding of the potential problems, designed to get the 'correct' response.

Till now, u still don't understand that there is predetermined results to achieve. The questions are geared towards that.

OMG! hahahahaha..... I must have been 'sleeping' for quite a while [sweatdrop]

I was still educating my kids that when they cycled in public, to observe safety and traffic rules such as to dismount and push their bicycles when coming to a pedestrian crossing, to cycle in a straight line when taking the road, etc.

For me this is great parenting and will make the roads less dangerous for your kids.

Well done.

Till now, u still don't understand that there is predetermined results to achieve. The questions are geared towards that.

I gave the survey a chance, you don't know until you see the questions.  But feel free to make assumptions about what "I still don't understand".  [thumbsup]

so the car owner can claim 110% from the taxi liow ... since he zero fault ?

Arrested, but not proven guilty yet. Only the Judge has the final say if he is guilty. Until that verdict is passed, the claim process cannot start.

Ha! You should see how some cyclists ( I see mostly Caucasians ) ride on Nicoll Highway during some of the weekday and often weekend mornings. Even with just 2-3 of them, they can hog one lane on the right:( 

On the right or left?  If they go right it would usually be for turning into Middle Road or Mountbatten Road.

For me this is great parenting and will make the roads less dangerous for your kids.

Well done.

Thanks! And I think it also benefits both road users and pedestrians. I, too, drive and use bicycles and PMDs occasionally. I really appreciate those responsible cyclists and PMD users when I drive, especially when they give clear signals to allow me to pass them or give way to them when coming to pedestrian/zebra crossings.

I will make it a point to do the same when I cycle, i.e. I will slow down to stop a distance away before the crossing to give a clear signal to an oncoming vehicle to let the driver drive pass first, before I proceed on. Thus, when I'm with my kids, they will observe and hopefully, do the same for everyone's safety, not just theirs.

On the right or left?  If they go right it would usually be for turning into Middle Road or Mountbatten Road.

Sometimes, left and occupying one lane. Sometimes, right and also occupying one lane. And no, it was not always that they would turn into Middle/Mounbatten Road. Sometimes, I see them heading straight towards Shenton Way until Lau Pa Sat, where they would turn right towards Telok Ayer.

• Praise 1

Arrested, but not proven guilty yet. Only the Judge has the final say if he is guilty. Until that verdict is passed, the claim process cannot start.

It was not reported in the press the other driver was arrested.

My view is that he is at least partially culpable for the death of that 19-year-old lady, as I have the impression he was going at high speed at the traffic junction from the video.

To me, this accident could have been less severe, or prevented if:

1) Taxi driver did not turn with his vision obstructed, or

2) Incoming driver travelled within speed limit and jam brakes when he saw the first turning car.

• Praise 1

His mentality is I have the RIGHT OF WAY. As I said before in the other thread, he was driving the mammoth Nissan Presage...a full size MPV.

Yes, I agreed he is partly at fault too. 

I think a jail term could be imposed on him

His mentality is I have the RIGHT OF WAY. As I said before in the other thread, he was driving the mammoth Nissan Presage...a full size MPV.

Yes, I agreed he is partly at fault too. 

Such a waste of precious lives.

Read the article and cannot help wishing she and her friends were at another place that fateful day, totally safe.

Those with her also suffered badly too. One had brain injury and the other in vegetative state. All so young and full of promise.

Haiz. I genuinely hope her parents will learn to cope with life without her, never forgotten but knowing they will reunite with her one day. It is heartwarming that her friends are so much part of her own family. I laughed at that portion when she asked how come she's invited for dinner at her own house. A stab in the heart when she told her dad, no need for a bigger house. Just need a home.

An angel left all too soon.

Thanks for sharing

Safe ride

Cheers

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1