2018 / 2019 7th Generation Lexus ES

Carbon82

no, as i dont want to complicate it. took the chance to do 4 door sound proof at the same time. Wanted to add a sub but did not find time to do so. 

BTW, mine is the previous gen. not the new one :(

Did you change the amplifier?

head unit cant change lei will lost all the info function correct?

It can be done. Just a matter of whether you want or not, and how much you're willing to pay.

Mine's the IS Exec non Mark Levinson. I changed to a full 3-way. Only the HU remained. The rest all changed.

Edited by Earthboy
↡ Advertisement

no, as i dont want to complicate it. took the chance to do 4 door sound proof at the same time. Wanted to add a sub but did not find time to do so.

Yup correct. Can't change the HU

did the sound proofing made any noticeable difference to your ride?where and how much you paid for it?thnks

• Praise 1

oh yes. there was no sound proof done from factory. :(

did it with robin audio. 2 layer STP for 4 doors 600$

did the sound proofing made any noticeable difference to your ride?where and how much you paid for it?thnks

• Praise 1

Former Toyota employee here.

Firstly, they are very conservative in implementing new tech. Their R&D have pretty advance tech, but for production, everything is validated (probably) twice as much compared to other carmakers, thus by the time it’s green lit for mass production, it’s old tech.

New tech adoption is so slow and difficult, it often frustrate even Toyota employees.

Another thing about Toyota R&D, they have regional design houses, with the aim to “localized” parts design as much as possible, even the smallest design (engineering) details.

For example, the inside ribs of a Hilux’s wheels in Brazil is about 5mm thicker than the ones in Thailand, so they can withstand 12G, instead 10G, because they did a survey of Brazil potholes, found out they are 20% bigger compared to a Thailand pothole.

Vietnam tires have tickers sidewalls, because people on Hanoi like to climb over curbs. South Africa’s absorbers are 2mm thicker, because people less likely to brake when they see a rock. Air intakes for tropical countries are placed 15mm higher, because there have more floods. Tiny changes which are easily managed at parts manufacturing level, but have significant impact in reducing failure rate.

For comparison, a German 3-series’s Transmission Oil cooler may be good enough for German weather, but they are same size for a UAE 3-series, which will kill the transmission.

A Golf’s Dual-clutch is nice in Autobahns, it won’t lost long in Indonesia’s stop-go 20km/h traffic jams,

And that's why North American Toyota's a rarely exported, or Euro/Asia model imported, not only because of regulations and tax, but NA's usage condition is so much different from other countries, the cars wont be as reliable as intended.

Another thing, not all country has the same situation regarding car service. And Toyota is very knowledgeable about this.

Missed the Civic Type-R turbo oil change schedule because that single Honda dealer in your island is full? You just slash 2 years out of the turbo’s life..

But do you know a Toyota Etios in India have water proof Volume knobs, because they did a 6 month in survey 10 different states and concluded most dealers use soap to clean the interior, seriously.

And don’t let me start on materials, so many version, variation, caveats for standards, sometimes it feels like they are exporting to a different planet.

So, this is why most Toyota ends up with a 4 AT, 50hp/liter engine, with boring hard plastic interior, numb steering, and goofy tiny wheels with huge wheel arc gaps.

And there’s Toyota procurement and manufacturing practice, which I’ll probably write more about later.

• Praise 11

Took my car on 15th Nov, came with 80% tank (pretty generous of them), pumped once after that. Last night took the car out for dinner found fuel to be very low and range of only 6km. Nevertheless went for my dinner first.

post-235536-0-66195500-1543830211_thumb.jpg

After dinner took the car to ESSO.

So the first full tank that I purchased gave me 815km and this purchase was 48.4L meaning fuel consumption was 16.8km per litre (or 5.9L per 100km)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3HG1k38w3I&t=65s

I will monitor further and report here

• Praise 11

Placed a 11K deposit during the ES pre launch and decide not no go ahead with the perchase. Was informed by SE that he had submitted my refund on 10 October . So far only received $2.5k credit into my UOB credit card , but not the $8.5k which was charged to my OCBC credit. Asked the SE few times, and SE said “My finance side replied they will check with the merchant bank”

Coming 2 mths already, still have not received my full refund. Anyone here experience the same ?

• Praise 1

Placed a 11K deposit during the ES pre launch and decide not no go ahead with the perchase. Was informed by SE that he had submitted my refund on 10 October . So far only received $2.5k credit into my UOB credit card , but not the $8.5k which was charged to my OCBC credit. Asked the SE few times, and SE said âMy finance side replied they will check with the merchant bankâ

Coming 2 mths already, still have not received my full refund. Anyone here experience the same ?

If you have seen how merchants void or refund payment, it’s only a few buttons on the machine and viola it’s done. It’s almost as easy as charging you for payment.

Send email as a demand. 2mths is too much.

↡ Advertisement