• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
33 replies to this topic | 105 praises

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:24 PM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Thinking of buying a new foldie. Riding a Dahon for the past 5 years. Quite happy w the quality. Currently shortlisted the Dahon mu8 but keeping options open on Tern. What would be a recommended Tern for $1k budget?

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:10 PM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Used to ride a tern.

Here break there break, needed to use cable tie to secure. Lousy $700+ foldie.
Doppel praised this
do to others what you want others to do to you......

Posted 28 April 2018 - 05:05 PM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Used to ride a tern.

Here break there break, needed to use cable tie to secure. Lousy $700+ foldie.

Haha...your Tern sounds like SMRT

Posted 28 April 2018 - 05:28 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Unker, buy Brompton la.

Last a long long time. Good resale value.

Buy in HK.
Doppel and Discoburg praised this

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:45 PM

Chongster
  • Chongster
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Tern is dahon’s son right? I have the old dahon x10 . Good stuff
Doppel praised this

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:22 PM

Ml2spin
  • Premium member
    Ml2spin
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Apply same logic as cars: do research online and then do local test drive/ride. If you are happy with Dahon, you may not see the appeal or value in Brompton — it’s a bit like Android vs iOS.
Doppel praised this

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:40 PM

mersaylee
  • mersaylee
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Sorry Soya to piggyback your thread.

Any recommendation for the missy with a low budget of 300? I have ever bought two white elephants only to sell away at togo site...so wish to have minimal potential loss...

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:50 PM

Ender
  • Premium member
    Ender
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Any recommendation for the missy with a low budget of 300? I have ever bought two white elephants only to sell away at togo site...so wish to have minimal potential loss...

If likely to be white elephant, don't cycle regularly, just go for bike sharing. I have cheapo Aleaco foldie, that also become white elephant. Now I cycle Mobike after my run. Ever since the bike sharing scheme came, I cycle more often.
You don’t stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running.

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:55 PM

Wormee
  • Premium member
    Wormee
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Thinking of buying a new foldie. Riding a Dahon for the past 5 years. Quite happy w the quality. Currently shortlisted the Dahon mu8 but keeping options open on Tern. What would be a recommended Tern for $1k budget?

Try the Travalo FS-S from Bikeactually. Under 1k but it's good.

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:59 PM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Unker, buy Brompton la.

Last a long long time. Good resale value.

Buy in HK.

Brompton?...scared ppl tink i kelong. Lol

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:05 PM

mersaylee
  • mersaylee
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

If likely to be white elephant, don't cycle regularly, just go for bike sharing. I have cheapo Aleaco foldie, that also become white elephant. Now I cycle Mobike after my run. Ever since the bike sharing scheme came, I cycle more often.

Thanks for the suggestion but my “your highest” royal butt sits no used saddle...I personally have no faith in those available at giant store...they are heavy too.

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:27 PM

Theoldjaffa
  • Premium member
    Theoldjaffa
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I had a Dahon Mu SLX and Tern Verge P9.

I feel the Tern folds in a more "ergonomic" way.

You should try to see if you like it.
Mercs praised this
--------------------------------------------
Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with those who don't have it.

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:19 AM

Discoburg
  • Premium member
    Discoburg
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

There is a thread in Men's hobby on foldable bikes. Check it out.

Davidtch praised this

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:35 AM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Tks bros for the suggestions & recommendations. Will check it out

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:23 PM

Shuaige12345
  • Shuaige12345
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Have both Dahon and Tern. Owns 4 foldies with different wheel size and my favourite is still the Tern X10 for its lightweight and relatively fast speed. I prefer the folding style of Tern, but Dahon comes with a landing gear(if bought at local dealers) which makes it easier to be pushed around. Tern Eclipse D16 is a pretty good bike if you want 26" wheels. Should be slightly above your budget. 

Any criteria in mind? Lightweight? Wheelsize? Number of gears? 

Theoldjaffa and Lala81 praised this

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:32 PM

mersaylee
  • mersaylee
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Have both Dahon and Tern. Owns 4 foldies with different wheel size and my favourite is still the Tern X10 for its lightweight and relatively fast speed. I prefer the folding style of Tern, but Dahon comes with a landing gear(if bought at local dealers) which makes it easier to be pushed around. Tern Eclipse D16 is a pretty good bike if you want 26" wheels. Should be slightly above your budget.

Any criteria in mind? Lightweight? Wheelsize? Number of gears?

I’ll be the coolie...so lightweight priority.

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:01 AM

Shuaige12345
  • Shuaige12345
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Iâll be the coolie...so lightweight priority.

Then can consider dahon dove which is at 8.5kg. Single speed, 14” wheels. Can order from Taobao. Should be around $400 though.

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:16 AM

mersaylee
  • mersaylee
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Then can consider dahon dove which is at 8.5kg. Single speed, 14â wheels. Can order from Taobao. Should be around $400 though.

Thanks for the recommendation. Will definitely consider that.

Btw, what’s the selling point of Dahon over say Brompton and Tern?

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:29 AM

Theoldjaffa
  • Premium member
    Theoldjaffa
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thanks for the recommendation. Will definitely consider that.

Btw, whatâs the selling point of Dahon over say Brompton and Tern?

Each has their own merits I guess.

Dahon is like the pioneer in foldies.

Brompton for it's ultra compactness when folded. Good for city commuting and train trips and small spaces in office or at home.

Tern is founded by the son of the founder of Dahon. The way it folds is different and there's a "cover" for the handlebar when folded.

Personally I like the way Tern rides the most.
This is the cover I'm talking about. My Dahon didn't have it. Not sure if the current models have.

B204882B-EBFA-48A4-A9F4-08E0BB345670.jpeg
Lala81 praised this
--------------------------------------------
Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with those who don't have it.

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:43 AM

mersaylee
  • mersaylee
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Each has their own merits I guess.

Dahon is like the pioneer in foldies.

Brompton for it's ultra compactness when folded. Good for city commuting and train trips and small spaces in office or at home.

Tern is founded by the son of the founder of Dahon. The way it folds is different and there's a "cover" for the handlebar when folded.

Personally I like the way Tern rides the most.
This is the cover I'm talking about. My Dahon didn't have it. Not sure if the current models have.

attachicon.gifB204882B-EBFA-48A4-A9F4-08E0BB345670.jpeg

Thanks for sharing.

I always thought Tern was a Philippino brand. What I’d learnt about their bikes was their unique folding design allow for quick folding and unfolding...

Found this...
https://sg.carousell...eferrer=/likes/

is the asking price reasonable for an used C7? Maybe I get this to replace my mtb.

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users