The State of LTA

Ravinged

52 members have voted

1. 1. Does LTA need a total overhaul?

• Yes - sack the top management and rebuid with a new management more in touch with the ground
    • No - top management can't control everything, the problem lies with the civil servants under their charge

Read a coverage in which LTA was singled out as one of the "problematic" statutory boards...

“It also depends on which Government agency. For example, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) is actually really late to the game. With the Ellison Building incident, they were reticent about engaging heritage consultants to advise them. They wanted to put a road through and wanted to take down parts of the structure of certain shophouses. It was a protected building yet they wanted to do this.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/lai-chee-kien-architect-historian-on-the-record-10181678

I'm sure many of us have our gripes with LTA but to be singled out by an Associate Professor takes this to another level, it isn't just about disgruntled road users. Dr Lai seemed to highlight several examples, all directly linked to misgivings with LTA. Over the years, I think LTA has really shown that it is one of the slowest and laidback statutory board with a questionable track record.

1. Failure to kick SMRT on its butt earlier on until massive problems arose in public train system

2. Slow response to personal mobility devices after countless incidences

3. Almost at a loss what to do with the legal framework when ride-haling technology came into the picture

4. Refused to acknowledge the flaws in COE system while yet continuing to shout control of vehicle populations

I don't know, there may be others you guys wanna add on.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5
  • Dislike 1

Turbocharged

I don't hope much from them actually, just improve traffic and road conditions will do. Some roads are so overloaded with vehicles because of more condos/buildings being built in that area but the roads remain the same.

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 4

I don't hope much from them actually, just improve traffic and road conditions will do. Some roads are so overloaded with vehicles because of more condos/buildings being built in that area but the roads remain the same.

It could be demographically, certain locations car owners have decreased despite increased build up. I see many empty car parks nowadays especially after ERP gantry was erected on almost every car park. Edited by Showster
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

It could be demographically, certain locations car owners have decreased despite increased build up. I see many empty car parks nowadays especially after ERP gantry was erected on almost every car park.

More likely people are leaving earlier these days to avoid timings paying ERP. Edited by DACH

More likely people are leaving earlier these days to avoid timings paying ERP.

Carpark more empty especially the older condos and HDB carparks.

Supersonic

Carpark more empty especially the older condos and HDB carparks.

HDB carparks, I still see places with cars parking roadsides. Not sure about older condos but most likely more are rented units.

But sometimes as early as 6am, some cars are already out and some expressways like CTE are quite heavily used so early in the mornings.

Turbocharged

Read a coverage in which LTA was singled out as one of the "problematic" statutory boards...

I'm sure many of us have our gripes with LTA but to be singled out by an Associate Professor takes this to another level, it isn't just about disgruntled road users. Dr Lai seemed to highlight several examples, all directly linked to misgivings with LTA. Over the years, I think LTA has really shown that it is one of the slowest and laidback statutory board with a questionable track record.

1. Failure to kick SMRT on its butt earlier on until massive problems arose in public train system

2. Slow response to personal mobility devices after countless incidences

3. Almost at a loss what to do with the legal framework when ride-haling technology came into the picture

4. Refused to acknowledge the flaws in COE system while yet continuing to shout control of vehicle populations

I don't know, there may be others you guys wanna add on.

5. Road conditions seem to be getting bad with unevenly paved patches. Basically, lta does not seem to go down to the grounds to make sure roads are properly patched up after road works.
  • Praise 4

Totally Agree.

Roads conditions are really like lousy on many trunk roads.

Expressway way are still quite ok.

But it's the smaller roads many are lousy conditions. Those utilities & fibre excavations on the road have crappy reinstatement works.

Just few months back I wrote to LTA on the roads around my neighbourhood, almost all, I mean every single road has such work.

They only repair the road immediately outside the MSCP.

Most are still lousy. If such things bring to MP will probably get shot back that theses are minor discomfort, we have bigger things to worry.

Why we complain on such small issues on only affect a small group of car owners.

• Praise 1

5. Road conditions seem to be getting bad with unevenly paved patches. Basically, lta does not seem to go down to the grounds to make sure roads are properly patched up after road works.

Yes - Many brand new roads are uneven.  Foreign workers checking foreign workers....  Congrats LTA - You have finally helped Singapore achieve 3rd World standards at First World costs!

• Praise 4
  • Dislike 1

I think the most cost effective way is to wait for feedback than sending out cars to survey the road.

But sometimes feedback only treat the one spot.

Send car out can hit tree. So seems like they haven't been driving much nowadays.

Supersonic

Totally Agree.

Roads conditions are really like lousy on many trunk roads.

Expressway way are still quite ok.

But it's the smaller roads many are lousy conditions. Those utilities & fibre excavations on the road have crappy reinstatement works.

Just few months back I wrote to LTA on the roads around my neighbourhood, almost all, I mean every single road has such work.

They only repair the road immediately outside the MSCP.

Most are still lousy. If such things bring to MP will probably get shot back that theses are minor discomfort, we have bigger things to worry.

Why we complain on such small issues on only affect a small group of car owners.

I will complain again and again until they get their job done.

The reason that these agencies don't do their work because the people don't push them.

Either push them to get the job done, else just vote them out.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Turbocharged

I think these are the 'bo pian' factors that figure into CS and ministries work ... each ministry has its own priority target, and there are also national interests and agenda.

Sometimes the road cannot be expanded anymore. If you see the new BTO constructions these days, the buildings are coming right up to the side of the roads, leaving just enough buffer space for a small lane leading to carpark and a sidewalk. I can't imagine the noise level for the residents living in these type of new BTOs ...

And yet with such restrictions, there seems to be more and more dwellings being stuffed into already congested areas. Looks like some other ministry's 'increase SG population' target is taking priority over LTA's. LTA is hard-pressed to maintain the traffic flow as it is with unabated increase in population, add to the fact that the public transportation system is also fighting a losing battle. Root cause of LTA's problem is not solved!

• Praise 1

Supersonic

I think these are the 'bo pian' factors that figure into CS and ministries work ... each ministry has its own priority target, and there are also national interests and agenda.

Sometimes the road cannot be expanded anymore. If you see the new BTO constructions these days, the buildings are coming right up to the side of the roads, leaving just enough buffer space for a small lane leading to carpark and a sidewalk. I can't imagine the noise level for the residents living in these type of new BTOs ...

And yet with such restrictions, there seems to be more and more dwellings being stuffed into already congested areas. Looks like some other ministry's 'increase SG population' target is taking priority over LTA's. LTA is hard-pressed to maintain the traffic flow as it is with unabated increase in population, add to the fact that the public transportation system is also fighting a losing battle. Root cause of LTA's problem is not solved!

And it's a sign that the population increase should be slow down even further and even stopped.

Else it's not going to be beneficial and sustainable in the long run.

Yes - Many brand new roads are uneven.  Foreign workers checking foreign workers....  Congrats LTA - You have finally helped Singapore achieve 3rd World standards at First World costs!

It happens elsewhere as well. 

(edited)

Can't say I disagree with your opinion. Every ministry and stat board has their own individual roles and KPIs.

In LTA's case, it's worth highlighting if even an academic had singled it out to be "arrogant" to the point it feels it needn't consult anybody in what it wants to do. I think quite frequently, our Ministers cites multi-agency approach to resolving issues but here, a stat board has shown that it is not really keen to work with others, unless forced to.

LTA doesn't act until there are enough loss (public properties or lives) on the road. If we have a military that is preemptive to be equipped and readied in advance, I can't see why LTA can't take this approach. I do suspect it is a deeply ingrained lacklustre culture in LTA that has been there for decades.

Edited by Ravinged
↡ Advertisement