The State of LTA

Ravinged

52 members have voted

1. 1. Does LTA need a total overhaul?

• Yes - sack the top management and rebuid with a new management more in touch with the ground
    • No - top management can't control everything, the problem lies with the civil servants under their charge

That's exactly the point. Shouldn't this be the focus of the opposition before they even talk about alternative voice? Go fix themselves and get themselves strong first.

So in business context, if you are a SME and you have to face a big established competitor. So, what do you do? Try to strengthen your business? Try to find people who believe in your cause and yet, doesn't cost too much? Try to create a value-add? If your larger competition is going to flood the market with promotions, what are you going to? How can you change your strategy? Or, are you going to sit in your office every day and whine .... booo hooo hooo .... the big competitor bully me !?!?

Let's get real.

Singaporean is realistic rather than idealist.  Without promo code, who gonna use a particular service?

Similarly, without million dollar salary, how to attract talent?  If top rated talent could join civil service and earn million, why do these 2nd or 3rd tier talent not joining civil service?

Without $$$ or talent, forget whatever you says above.  Unlike SME, running an alternative cabinet requires more than 1 Elon Musk.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

There are cameras installed on today's buses.

What is LTA talking about?

It's not proven not reliable. It was reliable in the past, but took a great dip down in the reliability due to complacency and incompetent people.

The low level lta staff answering my mail might not be aware or just don't care.

The bus drivers must also download the video and send to their higher mgt. Either not done or something failed along the way. Because this has gone on for many years already.

The marketing slogan has to "touch the heart".

In the 1940's, the red army told the people "join the red army, and get a piece of land". And the nationalists' slogan ? "protect your country and the whole family will be proud". Guess which one attracted more "volunteers" ? [laugh] [laugh]

%E6%89%93%E5%9C%9F%E8%B1%AA%EF%BC%8C%E5%

1311042013271497-600x448.jpg

Of course, "join the red army, and get a piece of land".

That's why promo code is very important in Singapore.

Twincharged

You can choose not to like the current Government, just like I do. But after 5-6 replies, nobody can answer if they are going to put investment into a company without any prospectus. It's always easier to talk but unable to act, aye.

To set the record straight, there is a poor choice of reverse-psychology. I don't believe in that religion bulls**t. But even historical scriptures can be carbon-dated, just FYI. That is what makes it such a poor example.

The ruling party when started was the underdog and in reality the opposition back then. They too did not had a prospectus. 

If all university graduates look for a job, all of them have a degree but non of them have a prospectus for their potential employer, so all these people cannot find work.

• Praise 1

If the board of directors screw up, then you as the shareholder could elect new directors at the next AGM. It is normally the only company that everyone has invested in, but some people may sell their shares and invest in other companies.

In this case, Singaporeans are the shareholders and it's up to Singaporeans to vote in the next "AGM". The different parties are in fact the different "companies" we can consider. So do we not have more than one "company"? I believe this question has already answered itself.

So if anyone wanna give up their "shareholding" in Singapore and take up "shareholding" in Australia or New Zealand or wherever they choose, I believe there is nothing to stop them from doing so. The only thing stopping them I can see is much higher income tax elsewhere etc. We can't have the best of both worlds.

Singaporean is realistic rather than idealist.  Without promo code, who gonna use a particular service?

Similarly, without million dollar salary, how to attract talent?  If top rated talent could join civil service and earn million, why do these 2nd or 3rd tier talent not joining civil service?

Without $$$ or talent, forget whatever you says above.  Unlike SME, running an alternative cabinet requires more than 1 Elon Musk.

So, the opposition should strengthen themselves up. Even in MNCs, some of the million-dollar projects came up from an average staff's idea. If we are at the stage where the opposition continues to find excuses, that time, I believe is better off spent on strengthening themselves. Only then, Singaporeans will have some real competition to choose from.

Get your own house in order before you try to fix an island. Get your own island firmly rooted before you try to fix a region. If you cannot even take care of your own house, can other house owners trust you to take care of theirs? The answer is very clear-cut, even though, painful to acknowledge.

The ruling party when started was the underdog and in reality the opposition back then. They too did not had a prospectus. 

If all university graduates look for a job, all of them have a degree but non of them have a prospectus for their potential employer, so all these people cannot find work.

It's 2018 now.

You invest in another company, then you have to elect another board of directors, or in some companies, the board of directors elect themselves.

Do whatever we need to do, of course. Why are we in a position that we are complaining we want to change the board but yet whine about the enormous number of new people we need to bring in? Right?

Supersonic

The marketing slogan has to "touch the heart".

In the 1940's, the red army told the people "join the red army, and get a piece of land". And the nationalists' slogan ? "protect your country and the whole family will be proud". Guess which one attracted more "volunteers" ? [laugh] [laugh]

%E6%89%93%E5%9C%9F%E8%B1%AA%EF%BC%8C%E5%

1311042013271497-600x448.jpg

Join the SAF, get a free COE.  :grin:

Think no need NS already. Will get enough people in the army. 

(edited)

So, the opposition should strengthen themselves up. Even in MNCs, some of the million-dollar projects came up from an average staff's idea. If we are at the stage where the opposition continues to find excuses, that time, I believe is better off spent on strengthening themselves. Only then, Singaporeans will have some real competition to choose from.

Get your own house in order before you try to fix an island. Get your own island firmly rooted before you try to fix a region. If you cannot even take care of your own house, can other house owners trust you to take care of theirs? The answer is very clear-cut, even though, painful to acknowledge.

I wish that ruling a country is that simple.  How many CxO in a company?

Do you realise that there are 15 ministries in Singapore (excl PMO)?

That means you have CEO + 15 CxO.

Since you have problem with state of LTA, what can you do as a citizen (other than whining)?

Edited by Davidtch

I wish that ruling a country is that simple.  How many CxO in a company?

Do you realise that there are 15 ministries in Singapore (excl PMO)?

That means you have CEO + 15 CxO.

Since you have problem with state of LTA, what can you do as a citizen (other than whining)?

I am glad we share this same thought now on the same line. That was exactly what I was driving at. It isn't as simple as being unhappy with PAP and simply just vote another party in. It's much more than that, and, the all important thing is - is our opposition in Singapore ready to take on such a humongous task?

I started this thread as a point of discussion. I certainly didn't imply at any point that - I am going to fix LTA. If anything, as "shareholders" of the country, the next "AGM" is for us to think about.

Twincharged

So following your logic, LHL cannot run this island because his own household is in a mess. The fact that this country runs on "Confucianism" principle family values. He don't even want to carry out our most beloved person, LKY, wishes. 

Also, there is something wrong, Einstein did not complete school because his teacher thinks he is a nut case but he turns out to be brilliant scientist.

Stephen Hawking, in no small sense a vegetable because he is basically paralysed, so if he is in Singapore, he would be considered useless and there are no resources to see people like him bloom. He turned out to be another far and few in between brilliant scientist. 

Those thrown in prison before, all no bloody good, background so bad because in prison how to lead a country let alone an island. Remember Nelson Mendala. You cannot pick and choose and say oh the law there very rubber, then you don't respect their law. How about Singapore, so many foreigners (well recognised legal expert) condemn our courts judgement? 

Because if you were born in a poor family (below poverty line) and you constantly run around 1/2 naked when young, does that precludes you from being a great leader. Go look into your history book.

In your logic: I guess Officer are immediately better and more qualified than NCO in leading a country or at least make major sound policies. I ask you Goh Keng Swee a lousy no good corporal can beat any of the current military generals anytime with his little finger.

The other point is, your logic got problem, it is a chicken and egg issue. if opposition do not have the opportunity, worse fingers and toes cut each time they try, how to come out with prospectus. If you care to read, SDP had been proposing a lot and many are taken as their own by the ruling party. I am not an SDP supporter but these are facts that we need to acknowledge.

You have to be realistic, you ask yourself, any organisation or opposition party got $1billion dollars to through into PA. 

I am no opposition nor ruling party member. But as a voter, you cant just take everything at face value, you need to understand then make an informed decision.

When we vote, we are NOT ungrateful to the party that has gotten us here, but as a nation we have aspiration and direction where we want our nation to be in the future for ourselves and our children. And if we believe that the party cannot do that, then we need to make a choice.

Just like so many people condemn NOL leaders for loosing money each and every year without fail. It is a "National asset", why did we sell because we need to chop. The new company (not the biggest of company) bought over within one year turn around with a gross profit and still going strong.

If you choose to believe in what you want to believe, it is your every right and nobody can do anything. It is a very important decision because you and I have to live with our decision whether for the better or worse because together we are one people.

• Praise 4

I can send you my account, I seek an investment from you. I can assure you I will make you money, but I will not show you any P&L for now.

Deal?

If opposition do not have the opportunity, worse fingers and toes cut each time they try, how to come out with prospectus.

I apologise if I assume you do believe in religion, may be, Christianity. If you are a Christian, following your reasoning and demand before you believe the opposition party, I have a few questions for you: have you see God or Jesus Christ for that matter? Have you witness the miracles that claimed? Have you visited heaven and confirm it exist? If all the answers are NO, then how do you believe in Christianity.

The issue with the current government is that, the current government work on their own without the citizens, with the new government (coalition or as majority) we expect them to work with the people as one Nation.

This is a good one, just to add on the second paragraph. Something that I've thought for a while, if the government expect the people to work as one nation, shouldn't we expect all of the Singaporean political parties (mainstream government and opposites parties included) to work as one. Anyway, all of them claims to do putting policies for the good of the country, if our so-called wanna-to-be leaders cannot even unite among themselves, who are they to be put in a position to convince that we can unite among ourselves(different ideas).

Government is like any leadership - if you cannot work as one Singaporean people (mainstream political party and opposition parties) how can you convinced your own citizen/people that people from other citizenships can solve your own country problems by joining your government.

• Praise 2

Lots of the road still have bumpy refill after excavation.

Wasn't it compulsory for any contractor that excavate the road to make good the road properly? Conform didn't use compactor to flatten the bumps.

What mind boggling is these "make-good" trenches will run across all lanes on the road.

Then after few km will see something similar.

Guess LTA busy registering PMD and catching PMD flouters. Also busy with new ERP and OBU.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Not easy.

I see so many road works and road improvements going on these days. The digging for MRT tunnels definitely adds on.

Living near Loyang. Saw 2 new bus stops being set up on Flora Drive. Layman thinking. Just put up bus stop structure, easy. 5 days job. Not so.

There are canals running beneath the road surfaces. There are proprietary works of various agencies to run piping, cables and reinforced bars here there. Works needs to be done to make sure future project like Jovell's connecting piping that goes to join external main PUB sewage pipes, gas pipes etc are pre-laid, electrical cables that are underground laying are readied otherwise need to remove bus stop later.

1 bloody pavement had new reinforced bars installed. Before that, diversion or temporary cemented footpath created as road widening works in progress.

Goodness. 2 months now. Structure of bus stop can be seen. But the works not so simple. Easy to talk talk point point and give opinions. Whats beneath the roads needs planning and coordination.

Opened my eyes and kept my mind working. I appreciate the constant improvements and yes, the roads are bumpy these days but there are no potholes in my decades driving or collapsed concrete pavements happening daily.

Obviously there will always be rooms for improvements. The roads are constantly being repaired or realigned or just disappeared. It was scary to find an entire hill where it once stood opp Coco Palms gone one afternoon. I thought i made a wrong turn. But the bloody hill landmark i so used to just wasnt there that day! Instead it became a new road with 4 lanes towards Pasir Ris Park direction.

I am thankful for tar roads instead of muddy paths or rocky ones. I am glad there are good working roads to make my journey easier to assess more ulu areas...which are fast disappearing.

Email or call LTA to highlight bad roads. I do that when i chanced upon one. Response is quick. Wont take 7 years like those next door or own money to repair potholes and have to do it over weekends. Read that article about this good Malaysian citizen who spent $20k over a long period of time (can't remember how long) and he did it on his own. Repairing potholes on roads leading to his house and out to x distance. Mind u. Spent own money for materials and put in labour by using his weekends. Hard to find such a citizen. Here, haiz.....nvm

Edited by PSP415
  • Praise 1

Lots of the road still have bumpy refill after excavation.

Wasn't it compulsory for any contractor that excavate the road to make good the road properly? Conform didn't use compactor to flatten the bumps.

What mind boggling is these "make-good" trenches will run across all lanes on the road.

Then after few km will see something similar.

Guess LTA busy registering PMD and catching PMD flouters. Also busy with new ERP and OBU.

After trenching, there will be a final resurfacing to smoothen the entire lane. ( with the dinosaur)

The bumpy may be before the final resurface.

• Praise 1

(edited)

After trenching, there will be a final resurfacing to smoothen the entire lane. ( with the dinosaur)

The bumpy may be before the final resurface.

Yeah... 2 months after final resurfacing, some other agency will start digging again. Like upp Bukit Timah road that was nicely resurfaced after about 5 years, and I enjoyed 2 months of flat road before digging started again (till now).

Digging for fun does contribute to GDP growth though. Weird. Just like spending on KTV.

Edited by Volvobrick

Twincharged
(edited)

Not easy.

I see so many road works and road improvements going on these days. The digging for MRT tunnels definitely adds on.

Living near Loyang. Saw 2 new bus stops being set up on Flora Drive. Layman thinking. Just put up bus stop structure, easy. 5 days job. Not so.

There are canals running beneath the road surfaces. There are proprietary works of various agencies to run piping, cables and reinforced bars here there. Works needs to be done to make sure future project like Jovell's connecting piping that goes to join external main PUB sewage pipes, gas pipes etc are pre-laid, electrical cables that are underground laying are readied otherwise need to remove bus stop later.

1 bloody pavement had new reinforced bars installed. Before that, diversion or temporary cemented footpath created as road widening works in progress.

Goodness. 2 months now. Structure of bus stop can be seen. But the works not so simple. Easy to talk talk point point and give opinions. Whats beneath the roads needs planning and coordination.

Opened my eyes and kept my mind working. I appreciate the constant improvements and yes, the roads are bumpy these days but there are no potholes in my decades driving or collapsed concrete pavements happening daily.

Obviously there will always be rooms for improvements. The roads are constantly being repaired or realigned or just disappeared. It was scary to find an entire hill where it once stood opp Coco Palms gone one afternoon. I thought i made a wrong turn. But the bloody hill landmark i so used to just wasnt there that day! Instead it became a new road with 4 lanes towards Pasir Ris Park direction.

I am thankful for tar roads instead of muddy paths or rocky ones. I am glad there are good working roads to make my journey easier to assess more ulu areas...which are fast disappearing.

Email or call LTA to highlight bad roads. I do that when i chanced upon one. Response is quick. Wont take 7 years like those next door or own money to repair potholes and have to do it over weekends. Read that article about this good Malaysian citizen who spent $20k over a long period of time (can't remember how long) and he did it on his own. Repairing potholes on roads leading to his house and out to x distance. Mind u. Spent own money for materials and put in labour by using his weekends. Hard to find such a citizen. Here, haiz.....nvm

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement