The State of LTA

Ravinged

52 members have voted

1. 1. Does LTA need a total overhaul?

• Yes - sack the top management and rebuid with a new management more in touch with the ground
    • No - top management can't control everything, the problem lies with the civil servants under their charge

Supersonic

Really ah. The most recent one i reported was near suntec. Small dented surface. 2 days and its done. Maybe your area ulu or never give picture where its to be looked at?

Just my tots

Safe ride

Cheers

True that i never give picture la. Only give the location. Think for pothole on the road, they re-patch it quite fast, but for uneven road then must depends liao.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

why you compare singapore with msia standard? the price paid here and there is different. more so for the equipments used..

And to be honest, their roads are not as bad as you think.

1. are you saying that digging 1 week or later by another contractor will definitely not have the similar happening?

2. since when road works never barricade?

Tsk tsk

Good to compare so at least can be thankful.

Barricade is standard. I did not say its not. But have u seen pedestrians moving barricades out of area so they can take shortcut. At least twice i will stop along the road further up where its safer to move it back. Especially dangerous to bikes turning from a corner and see one jutting out almost halfway.

Digging 1 week or later by another contractor will narrow culprit to that one vendor at that time. Cos b4 each hole is covered, its checked that all in order b4 the next vendor takes over. That's minimising blame shifting.

Thanks for dropping by. Hope u over the stupidity saving.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Digging 1 week or later by another contractor will narrow culprit to that one vendor at that time. Cos b4 each hole is covered, its checked that all in order b4 the next vendor takes over. That's minimising blame shifting.

If the idea of digging, closing back, then one week later another vendor dig again is to minimise blame, then that idea is foolish.

In such situation,  LTA should be the one opening up the road, vendors can then come in one after another to do all their cabling works and finally LTA close it back once and for all. It is much less disruptive and completion can be faster since different vendors don't have to re-dig and re-close back the hole.

If the idea of digging, closing back, then one week later another vendor dig again is to minimise blame, then that idea is foolish.

In such situation, LTA should be the one opening up the road, vendors can then come in one after another to do all their cabling works and finally LTA close it back once and for all. It is much less disruptive and completion can be faster since different vendors don't have to re-dig and re-close back the hole.

Haiz.

What makes u think that LTA isn't doing that now? Why is it foolish to minimise disputes and blame shifting?

Personally, the current system suffice. The disruptions are not that bad either. Hence, i am fine as traffic did not crawl to standstill at any of these sites for hours as a result.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Haiz.

What makes u think that LTA isn't doing that now? Why is it foolish to minimise disputes and blame shifting?

Personally, the current system suffice. The disruptions are not that bad either. Hence, i am fine as traffic did not crawl to standstill at any of these sites for hours as a result.

Safe ride

Cheers

I am not sure if they are doing that now, but if they do, then why would different vendors have to keep re-digging? 

I am saying it is kind of foolish if the re-digging is to minimise blame between vendors  because the priority should be on job efficiency and public convenience, not about the  vendors themselves.

I am not sure if they are doing that now, but if they do, then why would different vendors have to keep re-digging?

I am saying it is kind of foolish if the re-digging is to minimise blame between vendors because the priority should be on job efficiency and public convenience, not about the vendors themselves.

Minimising disputes and blame shifting is also about job efficiency and public convenience. Not at all foolish.

Job efficiency - when vendors know they cant shift blame easily, they bloody well make sure they do their job properly. LTA checks the stage of each vendor's work. Not well done, redo. Next vendor wait.

Public convenience - the same repairs or replacement need not have to be revisited cos each time that particular job is well executed. Each vendor go in do what they need to and dug hole will be finally closed up once and for all until 1 or 2 or 5 years later.

Currently alot of digging works around my estate. No long traffic jams. Perhaps i have patience coursing thru my bloodstream, these really minimal inconveniences but that's just me. Others may feel differently. But each time when its really completed, i appreciate the result, be it a new expressway or a new road or a new set of bus stops etc.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Public convenience - the same repairs or replacement need not have to be revisited cos each time that particular job is well executed. Each vendor go in do what they need to and dug hole will be finally closed up once and for all until 1 or 2 or 5 years later.

Sorry..what I usually see is that one vendor comes in, dig, close back, then few weeks later, another vendor comes in, dig, close back.....

Certainly not close back until 1, 2 or 5 years later.

Sorry..what I usually see is that one vendor comes in, dig, close back, then few weeks later, another vendor comes in, dig, close back.....

That's what u usually see. Not what i usually see.

Besides, Singapore so big, we know what's the status of each dug site? Only those we use daily or often. Some areas not much activity except repainting of lines whilst some see widening of lanes. Some 1, 2 or 5 years or later then have activities. With MRT tunnels, definitely some re-routing of piping, cabling etc will take place. All below, not obvious.

Anyways, to each one's own observations and conclusions.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1

Supercharged

i took a step back and realised ask myself why am i trying to reason with someone that can suggests that people will bash into barricade and falling into the pit. more so that LTA is trying to "protect" contractors on useless "blaming"..

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Digging up roads for repair to services are inevitable. Most frustrating is to lay new services then redo again in a short period when there is another services. Somehow they are not coordinated.

Each time there is a new development, be it enbloc or redevelopment, thankfully it should stop someday, digging will commence. I am expecting more to come soon because next door just enbloc.

• Praise 1

Digging up roads for repair to services are inevitable. Most frustrating is to lay new services then redo again in a short period when there is another services. Somehow they are not coordinated.

Each time there is a new development, be it enbloc or redevelopment, thankfully it should stop someday, digging will commence. I am expecting more to come soon because next door just enbloc.

even the quality of road resurfacing is getting bad or the way its done has to do with the prices of the project.

As an example, the clementi avenue 6 has been patch mutiple times as well as resurface. I have killed one rim due to a large pot hole there.

And after resurfacing, the road is back to the usual bad condition after a mere 3 months.

Not even sure if there is a warranty SLA in terms of road surface or not. But its badly done and the quality can be easily tell.

(edited)

Want to blame only got one thing to blame. White paper population.

As a result more housing, more mrt stations(more tunneling works), more cabling for power and internet, built more roads, more road works and more digging of course. The only thing getting lesser is money in your bank account. [laugh]

Bottom line blame who again. Zheng ho lo. Who else?

Ppl go one big round of blaming this and that but in the end the most obvious to blame is zheng ho. But who voted for the zheng ho they are enjoying now?

Prease lah. All of you go one corner and reflect. It's all your fault. [laugh]

Edited by Watwheels

The root of the problem is when every project is bidded via GeBiz and every contract to dig,lay,patch is all inclusive.

So different contractors for different project along the same stretch of road  will just do their bare essential to satisfy their contract specs and f off.

If must blame, blame LTA for not coordinating these contracts and ensuring minimum road patch standard before signing off the completion. Not their KPI.

even the quality of road resurfacing is getting bad or the way its done has to do with the prices of the project.

As an example, the clementi avenue 6 has been patch mutiple times as well as resurface. I have killed one rim due to a large pot hole there.

And after resurfacing, the road is back to the usual bad condition after a mere 3 months.

Not even sure if there is a warranty SLA in terms of road surface or not. But its badly done and the quality can be easily tell.

At a very simple explanation..

Water pipe cannot be next to sewage.

Gas cannot be next to power lines.

EVERYONE must avoid high tension power. Etc

In fact ALL pipes must also have separation from each other...

How to dig at the same time?

It's precisely because of proper coordination that different parties come in one after another. That's just a fact of life... unless we go back to hanging everything on poles..

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

At a very simple explanation..

Water pipe cannot be next to sewage.

Gas cannot be next to power lines.

EVERYONE must avoid high tension power. Etc

In fact ALL pipes must also have separation from each other...

How to dig at the same time?

It's precisely because of proper coordination that different parties come in one after another. That's just a fact of life... unless we go back to hanging everything on poles..

Of course I know this simple logic. What I don't is, why patch everything so nicely then dig again? Sometimes, it was for the same services. The notices on display will tell you which service is digging up the road. Unless they use the wrong one haha

This is because of recent LTA requirement that all road must be patched within 21 days of the start of the roadwork no matter if it is finished or not due to the increased complaint of road users

I am saying it is kind of foolish if the re-digging is to minimise blame between vendors because the priority should be on job efficiency and public convenience, not about the vendors themselves.

Economy slowing going into recession (Maybank says one), need to up GDP by digging and covering.

I would suggest garmen hand out vouchers to MCF members to spend in KTV or spa also can improve GDP...

↡ Advertisement