For them living in tiny studio how do they dry clothes?

golden_eagle

Supersonic

Our weather in Sg is mostly warm to hot.

Use a fan will dry most clothing within a day.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged
(edited)

I mean the really really 366sqft studios with no balcony, if they work in the city and need to iron shirts and suites how do they dry them? In SG it seems to take days for clothes indoors to dry. 

And one can't iron and then put back to dryer to winkle it again. 

It is not a issue. I walk in and out so many different type of studio apartments  that there is always a solution to this drying problem.

Some people use dryer. The westerners use that a lot even if they have a proper place to dry their clothes. For others, if they have no balcony, no yard  area, then dryer is the way to go.

Then those that have balconies will use a clothes rack and hang at the balconies. Most studio apartments have balconies. 

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 1

We used the dunno wat detergent for indoor drying.. end up hang indoors for 3 days still got smell, drier but feel wet-cool to touch..

Most importantly, you must ensure that wherever you hang your laundry is airy.

Supersonic
(edited)

366sqft is only 36 sqm, it is a size of hotel room. The tinny space has to be shared among kitchen, living , toilet and bedroom, i wonder there is space left for other items like a dryer.

Back to your question , if cannot iron and put back to dryer to wrinkle up the clothing again, that mean there is already a dryer at home, it is a process or sequence problem , nothing to do with the size of the house. A person who live in a 360sqm house will have the same problem is he has his sequence mixed up.

Solution wise for such a small unit, stacking a dryer above washing machine seems to be a viable option.

Edited by Ct3833

Supercharged

Using a wardrobe dryer in Singapore is a huge waste of energy

It's not about the money. It's about sustainable living.

• Praise 2

Supersonic
(edited)

I like to borrow this thread to touch on studio apartment. Developers build these small studio apartments and sell them at 600k to 700k, making the apartment like quite affordable, in fact the $/psf of these apartments are very expensive. The developers in fact have made huge profit out of these apartments, but what the buyers get is a small miserable unit after paying a huge chunk of their life long hard earned money.

My own take about these shoe box is, they are mostly 99 years, they are too small to live comfortably, they are one of the most expensive apartment by $/psf. If anyone wants to spend 600k for a house, buying a hdb and spend money to soup it up would make a lot more sense, more living space, more toilet, more living room with bigger kitchen. After all a small shoe box is also 99 years like hdb, i urge those who are considering this to think hard again. We should boycott sales of shoe box apartment and developers.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

I like to borrow this thread to touch on studio apartment. Developers build these small studio apartments and sell them at 600k to 700k, making the apartment like quite affordable, in fact the $/psf of these apartments are very expensive. The developers in fact have made huge profit out of these apartments, but what the buyers get is a small miserable unit after paying a huge chunk of their life long hard earned money.

My own take about these shoe box is, they are mostly 99 years, they are too small to live comfortably, they are one of the most expensive apartment by $/psf. If anyone wants to spend 600k for a house, buying a hdb and spend money to soup it up would make a lot more sense, more living space, more toilet, more living room with bigger kitchen. After all a small shoe box is also 99 years like hdb, i urge those who are considering this to think hard again. We should boycott sales of shoe box apartment and developers.

Agreed! Studios are the highest tier of housing in Singapore. 

I reason that the same rationale applies to condo vs HDB, and vs JB landed. Thus we ought to boycott condos too! 

The only good housing to buy is HDB. 

Most importantly, you must ensure that wherever you hang your laundry is airy.

Yup, is airy bro.. has breeze flowing thru often.. Think the smell us Bec the water in the clothes r not evaporated sufficiently under shade that's why got the damp smell.. never had this problem under the sun.. Score 1 for good ol HDB!

Turbocharged

that damp stinky smell is mildew.

It's a bloody irritating, annoying smell and if someone near me on public transport has that smell its enough to make me descend into red mist. I think it actually triggers some kind of biological reaction in me.

Twincharged

I mean the really really 366sqft studios with no balcony, if they work in the city and need to iron shirts and suites how do they dry them? In SG it seems to take days for clothes indoors to dry.

And one can't iron and then put back to dryer to winkle it again.

Hang them next to a fan or open window if possible

Iron them when semi wet. When I mean iron you can either iron as per normal or just put your iron on the shirt then lift up and put to another area. In no time your clothes will be steaming. Might not be dry but it dries faster.

Even if it's rainy you can still dry it if you use the ironing method. How straight will it be as opposed to wrinkled I cannot say.

My experience is when I lived in a backpacker hostel in winter and there is no dryer available. In fact, no washing machine also so it's hand wash.

Turbocharged
(edited)

Read my post here : http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2708995-property-tips-observations-and-actual-experiences/?p=6409714

Agreed! Studios are the highest tier of housing in Singapore. 

I reason that the same rationale applies to condo vs HDB, and vs JB landed. Thus we ought to boycott condos too! 

The only good housing to buy is HDB. 

Bro...when buyers buy property, it is not always about $psf. It is also about lifestyle, exclusiveness, location, views, etc.

It is like buying a car. If all they need is to go point A to B,  the expensive German cars will not be some of the best selling brands in Singapore.

Edited by Icedbs

Turbocharged
(edited)

how about washing machines with dryer function. do they do the job well?

Yes, they do but need to run 40-60 minutes. A lot of tenanted units have 2-in-1 dryer. I have one at home too, but I prefer to dry my clothes at the balcony.

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 1

Bro...when buyers buy property, it is not always about $psf. It is also about lifestyle, exclusiveness, location, views, etc.

It is like buying a car. If all they need is to go point A to B,  the expensive German cars will not be some of the best selling brands in Singapore.

You didnt see the tint of sacarcism in my statement.  

I used to stay in a studio apartment overseas in the 90's. I did most of my laundry at nearby laundrettes and will bring a book to go to the nearby cafe or eatery for a drink or a meal. Will return to take the washed clothes out and place it into the dryer and go for more reading, work or go for a walk. For items that cannot be put into dryer, will bring it home to hang dry in the house.

• Praise 1

I used to stay in a studio apartment overseas in the 90's. I did most of my laundry at nearby laundrettes and will bring a book to go to the nearby cafe or eatery for a drink or a meal. Will return to take the washed clothes out and place it into the dryer and go for more reading, work or go for a walk. For items that cannot be put into dryer, will bring it home to hang dry in the house.

I saw Mr. Bean do that too. 

I saw Mr. Bean do that too. 

Yup, Very common in the UK, especially in London where most people rent instead of owning their own house.

[;)]

When i studied in Melbourne in the 90s, i did my laundry at laundrettes opposite rented apartment.

I will bring it back to apartment roof top for drying.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1