Can buy this new engine oil in Giant? $17.90

Thanks. Just surprised that Mobil 1 gold also cannot make it.

I attribute it to the engine design and the usage. Or maybe something I did.  [laugh]

A common EO will probably last about 7000km in that engine. 

The Mobil is not without its merit - better protection during cold start and quicker warm up. 

↡ Advertisement

Agree. Is there a pic showing the label/spec of this oil? If there are 2 and above certifications/meet standard, should be good enough.  

The certificate from SGS is at the shelf leh. I asked the auntie at Giant and she said new product quite alot of people buy. Anyway I just went to buy 2 bottles to try. After servicing will give my comments

Twincharged

The certificate from SGS is at the shelf leh. I asked the auntie at Giant and she said new product quite alot of people buy. Anyway I just went to buy 2 bottles to try. After servicing will give my comments

Just saying that You can’t tell squat from trying. Butt feel has totally no meaning to gauge if an oil is good or not.

It is not about whether cheap oils are good or not. Nor whether expensive oils are worth the extra dollars.

My point is, in Singapore, we have little way to verify claims or whatever certification documents provided by the seller. Anyone can just print whatever certifications, fake or not, or just pay for something to make the product more legitimate than it is. Think about all the ‘best roti prata award’, ‘top SME’, ‘Singapore most promising enterprise’ awards etc.

So the main question is it worth saving the few dollars buying these products that might (or might not) cause problem to the car in the long run? If the difference is hundred to thousands of dollars I can understand but a few dollars?

Unless you clock 300k or 400k before scrapping the car, I don't think the engine would ever be worn out whatever oil is used.

Most cars won't even see 200k by year 10. My car won't even see 100k!

If I remember correctly, many years ago before Uber or Grab existence, the average mileage per year for cars in Singapore was 20K km per year, that means 200K km for 10 years. If this is a normal population, that means there will be equal Low mileage cars to higher than 200K km cars. With PHV and renewed COE cars, the average should be much higher than 200K km per 10 years.

Anyway, if the mileage is low, why bother save the few dollars on cheap oils?

If I remember correctly, many years ago before Uber or Grab existence, the average mileage per year for cars in Singapore was 20K km per year, that means 200K km for 10 years. If this is a normal population, that means there will be equal Low mileage cars to higher than 200K km cars. With PHV and renewed COE cars, the average should be much higher than 200K km per 10 years.

Anyway, if the mileage is low, why bother save the few dollars on cheap oils?

if the mileage is low, why bother to pay so much for expensive oils?  :D

and the difference is not just a few dollars wor. it's $18 vs $60+.  [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 1

if the mileage is low, why bother to pay so much for expensive oils?  :D

and the difference is not just a few dollars wor. it's $18 vs $60+.  [lipsrsealed]

It is up to individual thinking. Some people think otherwise, if the frequency is low, there is no point trying to go the cheapest. In business, normally we pay more attention to cost for stuff that we buy in larger volume or used frequently.

The difference is definitely not $18 vs $60. I remember seeing once Shell HU 5W40 selling for promo price $35.90 at Giant/Fairprice. Mobil1 is probably another $10 more.

In might make more sense to stretch the servicing frequency, lets say from 6month (10K km) to 1 year (15K km) if good or trustable engine oil is used, because the engine oil should be able to last the longer frequency. How do I arrive at this?

The 6month (10K km) frequency for most Jap and Korean cars in Singapore are recommended locally, I think partly due to commercial reason. It varies from country to country. For example, Kia in Singapore recommends frequency of 6 months (10K km), while Kia Australia is recommending 1year (15K km) under normal driving conditions, you can check the websites/manuals. For most continental brands, the recommended frequency is 1year (15K km) under normal driving conditions in Singapore.

If we think most reputable/recommended engine oils used in authorized workshops are more or less the same, then why the difference in the frequency? I would think that if I can use the same Shell/Mobil/Castrol engine oil in Australia or in a conti car for another 6months (5k km) more, why not in Singapore and Japanese/Korean cars? It is not like our conditions are significantly harsher than other regions or city. In the case of severe driving conditions, there is another set of frequency recommendation which also varies from make-to-make.

So my own conclusion is reputable engine oil will give better assurance that it will not prematurely deteriorate compared to cheaper oils.

• Praise 2

Oil change is 10k or 6 months.

Even if low mileage, also one year change twice.   [laugh]

Oil change is 10k or 6 months.

Even if low mileage, also one year change twice.   [laugh]

you want 1 year 4 times also can. as long as you happy. [laugh]  

• Praise 1

It is up to individual thinking. Some people think otherwise, if the frequency is low, there is no point trying to go the cheapest. In business, normally we pay more attention to cost for stuff that we buy in larger volume or used frequently.

The difference is definitely not $18 vs $60. I remember seeing once Shell HU 5W40 selling for promo price $35.90 at Giant/Fairprice. Mobil1 is probably another $10 more.

In might make more sense to stretch the servicing frequency, lets say from 6month (10K km) to 1 year (15K km) if good or trustable engine oil is used, because the engine oil should be able to last the longer frequency. How do I arrive at this?

The 6month (10K km) frequency for most Jap and Korean cars in Singapore are recommended locally, I think partly due to commercial reason. It varies from country to country. For example, Kia in Singapore recommends frequency of 6 months (10K km), while Kia Australia is recommending 1year (15K km) under normal driving conditions, you can check the websites/manuals. For most continental brands, the recommended frequency is 1year (15K km) under normal driving conditions in Singapore.

If we think most reputable/recommended engine oils used in authorized workshops are more or less the same, then why the difference in the frequency? I would think that if I can use the same Shell/Mobil/Castrol engine oil in Australia or in a conti car for another 6months (5k km) more, why not in Singapore and Japanese/Korean cars? It is not like our conditions are significantly harsher than other regions or city. In the case of severe driving conditions, there is another set of frequency recommendation which also varies from make-to-make.

So my own conclusion is reputable engine oil will give better assurance that it will not prematurely deteriorate compared to cheaper oils.

Too bad many are influenced to think that cheap = inferior. People will have doubts of a product.

Not many questioned the high mark up locally and the number of middlemen it went through to reach the consumer.

By right, many stuffs are cheap when it comes out from the factory. Besides the middleman, there is also the branding stamped on it, which can jack up the price by 400-500%.

I bought a pen refill. It comes without the brand stamped onto it. It costs me 20 cents only. But have to buy in lots of 10, which comes to S$2. It's still cheaper than buying a single refill with the brand stamped on.

More than 10 years ago, I used the C**L**e brand oil with the recommendations here. Till today, car with COE extended, engine still up and running. Milage, 220K.

• Praise 3

(edited)

Too bad many are influenced to think that cheap = inferior. People will have doubts of a product.

Not many questioned the high mark up locally and the number of middlemen it went through to reach the consumer.

By right, many stuffs are cheap when it comes out from the factory. Besides the middleman, there is also the branding stamped on it, which can jack up the price by 400-500%.

I bought a pen refill. It comes without the brand stamped onto it. It costs me 20 cents only. But have to buy in lots of 10, which comes to S$2. It's still cheaper than buying a single refill with the brand stamped on.

More than 10 years ago, I used the C**L**e brand oil with the recommendations here. Till today, car with COE extended, engine still up and running. Milage, 220K.

Basically you just look at all the petroleum based lubricants. "Petroleum based" meaning it can only come from the oil refinery aka oil cartels.

Engine oil companies can buy the base oil from the oil cartel, further process it and add in the oil addictive. That probably will determine the engine oil price. I mean it isn't rocket science.

Cars or automotive aren't like the marine industry which sent engine oil for analysis. You can if you are feeling rich. Everything else will be butt-feel so how to tell if it's good or bad? Kiasee ppl : stick to recommend oil by manufacturer. Adventurous ppl: try anything you fancy.

Edited by Watwheels

(edited)

Who knows what the oil cartels are doing. Other dan selling their premium engine oils they can create an affiliated company called XX engine oil and sell budget price engine oil, create another company called XXYY engine oil and sell mid-range price engine oil. Dan they put everything in the market and basically covers all type of consumers who buy based on price. Sure win. Right or not?

Just look at the local milk powder. Ppl comment milk powder end of the day is still milk powder. The branding and image the companies create is just to make more money.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

History is littered with incidents where people who chase the cheapest pays the price in the end.

Sure, cheap does not mean inferior, I don’t and will not pay $20 for chicken rice also. But the mentality of chasing the cheapest at all cost must be pointed out because sometimes it is just not worth the risk especially for a few tens of dollars savings a year, on cars that could cost tens of thousands.

Engine oil, when sold at hyper market should have been commoditized much that branding or marketing costs or markups are marginally different. That’s why I say you can get Shell HU for less than $40 at Giant versus $80 at Shell station or authorised workshop.

Just look at Coke sold at neighbourhood discount stores vs Coke sold at 7-11 or petrol kiosks. Maybe 100 percent more expensive. Coke at 7-11 better cis it is more expensive?

Anyway I believe our cars are over serviced (dealers want to make more money by recommending shorter mileage between services) and it wastes time, money and kills the earth more. My car hit 15k and 2 years than I serviced it. Bo tai chee!

↡ Advertisement