Exercising and losing weight

ODC

Running has many benefits, but can also lead to muscle loss. Always must incorporate strength training, especially core muscles, back, etc. which are extremely lacking in most people as one ages.

Just walk around and ask how many people, despite regular running, walking, cycling but still have back pain, knee pain, this pain that pain, cannot do a single pull up, cannot jump over a low obstacle, and most usually, they blame it on too much running, walking, cycling. Then .. they will tell you to go do massage. This is the typical flow of thinking now. So the moral of the story is go start opening more massage parlour now. [laugh] [laugh]

Actually other than your upper back, it's quite easy to massage yourself. I usually just watch some tv/videos in evening then just massage the trigger points i can find over my muscles

↡ Advertisement

After you restore your back muscles, it should cure most of back pain issues, at least for me. Our sitting, standing posture also depends on how strong our muscles are. 

yeah I want to improve my back pain. I've had a horrendous sitting posture since young. Hunched like old lady esp when I'm tired.

Better work on it now before i get more and more jialat.

last time just try to sit straight but after a while just forget about it and never maintain. Now I just going to keep working on the muscles to correct the posture.

Edited by Lala81

More likely outcome, u can become endurance athlete lean but all your muscles will shrink except your lower body ones.

Haha don't think TOJ wants to look like that [laugh]

He wants to look like porker/loki etc [laugh]

I don't mind looking like that. But haha he wants some bah on him [:p]

If he 1 2 like Porker, hire porker to train him lo

Running has many benefits, but can also lead to muscle loss. Always must incorporate strength training, especially core muscles, back, etc. which are extremely lacking in most people as one ages.

Just walk around and ask how many people, despite regular running, walking, cycling but still have back pain, knee pain, this pain that pain, cannot do a single pull up, cannot jump over a low obstacle, and most usually, they blame it on too much running, walking, cycling. Then .. they will tell you to go do massage. This is the typical flow of thinking now. So the moral of the story is go start opening more massage parlour now. [laugh] [laugh]

Drink whey protein after run if run more than 1hr.

I used to do muscle strength and endurance training. It helps with running as quad no need sarpork dead weight above waist.

I can’t do yoga. Lack muscle flexibility

Actually other than your upper back, it's quite easy to massage yourself. I usually just watch some tv/videos in evening then just massage the trigger points i can find over my muscles

This sounded so much like what Mustank would do to massage himself in front of Japanese drama video clip...

Drink whey protein after run if run more than 1hr.

I used to do muscle strength and endurance training. It helps with running as quad no need sarpork dead weight above waist.

I can’t do yoga. Lack muscle flexibility

For me, more than 10km run I will drink whey protein.

During my SCSM training, I drank alot of these Whey protein and carbo load for 3 months. And yet my average weight dropped to 63kg. I think my calories intake increased alot these months.

• Praise 1

Running main benefit is the heart. If you add in HIIT like speed workout, hill repeat, tempo run ontop of your endurance long distance, resting heart rate in the low 40's is achievable if there's no heart condition.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1

The more exercise you do, the more hungry you get.

So it's never just one thing. It's always the 2nd step that's just as important, how you refuel after the exercise. Hence the gym guys always drink whey etc straight after workouts to build muscle (but they don't realise, actually that is very important in curbing hunger).

And like i said, cardio can only lose weight or make u lean to a certain extent.

If just running alone makes u super lean and super low BF%, @ender or @roadrunner2029 or @tangocharlie would be the most shredded in this thread. 

I think running at most bring BF%just under 20.. Lower than 15%, require strength and muscle building, and the muscle building part got so much theories and gets very complex.. Need you to post the digested summary. [laugh]   

Ok, for me.

1. Drink whey after workout, checked.

2. Strength training. not enough., 

May I ask if normal protein in eggs would be good enough than the whey protein?

I can’t run far or long enough to justify the need for the latter.

I usually do stairs climbing for heart strengthening.

May I ask if normal protein in eggs would be good enough than the whey protein?

I can’t run far or long enough to justify the need for the latter.

I usually do stairs climbing for heart strengthening.

1 egg has 6 grams of protein (mostly in the white). A chicken breast will vary between 24-32gm depending on the size i guess.

1 scoop of whey is usually 20 and above grams of protein

In local context, if your meat or fish maybe harder to calculate since our portions are not so clear cut as the ang mohs.

I would say 1gm/kg/day is maintenance not to lose any muscle. If u want to build muscle via actively working out with resistance/body weight exercises, 2-3gm/kg/day is required.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

1 egg has 6 grams of protein (mostly in the white). A chicken breast will vary between 24-32gm depending on the size i guess.

1 scoop of whey is usually 20 and above grams of protein

In local context, if your meat or fish maybe harder to calculate since our portions are not so clear cut as the ang mohs.

I would say 1gm/kg/day is maintenance not to lose any muscle. If u want to build muscle via actively working out with resistance/body weight exercises, 2-3gm/kg/day is required.

Does that mean half an egg (white) a day before every exercise routine suffice?

Does that mean half an egg (white) a day before every exercise routine suffice?

Protein has two functions, it allows your muscle to build and also aid in recovery.

The MOST important is total protein intake for the day. If u are well fed in protein throughout the day, doesn't really matter whether u get it in 2-3 meals or 5 meals.

If you are very specifically looking to build muscle in some way (say your legs or arms), after a workout, it will be good to eat protein as soon as possible, cos it aids your muscle recovery and maximises the nutrients for growth.

But the first point is the most important. Frequency of intake matters less.

1 egg white is bit little. But better than nothing. 200mls of milk or soy milk should also be the same.

I just drink that instead of eating egg white which is bit gross lol.

Edited by Lala81

Thanks B. Long time no see man.

I admit over the past year my exercise duration has dropped alot. Stopped cycling, not running consistently and no krav maga for a few months ago.

Diet wise I also loosened up a little but I still largely stayed off carbs and added sugar.

Gonna ramp up my exercise routine now and I must strive to be consistent.

I think you just answered yourself. You have identify your problems. It a matter of getting back and sticking onto your exercise regime and diet plan you have embarked. I think you have the knowledge.

Consistency.

I think you just answered yourself. You have identify your problems. It a matter of getting back and sticking onto your exercise regime and diet plan you have embarked. I think you have the knowledge.

Consistency.

That's possibly the toughest aspect of improving health/fitness

Edited by Lala81

Ya, got knee pain esp walking down steps. Recently working to strengthen core to relieve knees' workload.

For me, more than 10km run I will drink whey protein.

During my SCSM training, I drank alot of these Whey protein and carbo load for 3 months. And yet my average weight dropped to 63kg. I think my calories intake increased alot these months.

Never had whey in my life. Lol
  • Praise 1

Protein has two functions, it allows your muscle to build and also aid in recovery.

The MOST important is total protein intake for the day. If u are well fed in protein throughout the day, doesn't really matter whether u get it in 2-3 meals or 5 meals.

If you are very specifically looking to build muscle in some way (say your legs or arms), after a workout, it will be good to eat protein as soon as possible, cos it aids your muscle recovery and maximises the nutrients for growth.

But the first point is the most important. Frequency of intake matters less.

1 egg white is bit little. But better than nothing. 200mls of milk or soy milk should also be the same.

I just drink that instead of eating egg white which is bit gross lol.

I drink fresh milk quite a fair bit on weekly basis. Even make my own tea or coffee with fresh milk only.

I believe my intake of protein is fine since my wife likes to hard boil the eggs for the herd at least once a week. I do eat scrambled or fried eggs during lunch too. Just need to convert whatever into muscle through strengthening exercises.

Turbocharged

Ya lor ya lor .. if exercise late night hard to fall asleep with the endorphins and adrenaline rush.

I can't exercise late nights any more even if I have the time, which I don't.

My energy level after 9.30pm is near zero due to chronic lack of sleep.

↡ Advertisement