Exercising and losing weight

ODC

i believe food plays a more major role in body composition % than exercise in terms of total fat reduction. 

besides your fried chicken, maybe you want to re-look what you eat in terms of (hidden) sugar & (hidden) fat eg sweets, chocolates, soft drinks, kopi is regular or siew dai or kosong, processed meats (loads of nitrates), too much fruits or fruit juices (even fresh ones & esp packaged - in the form of frutose), cookies (trans fat and sugar), desserts, cakes (sugar and trans fat), titbits (sure have some form of hidden sugar), coffee creamer (trans fat), margarine, lousy vege oil (trans fat), sauces in your rice (salt & sugar & oil) etc etc.

I consider KFC (or fried chicken in general) tasty and the least of the makan sins. At least I know it is a piece of real chicken and with little preservatives since mostly marinated with salt and herbs. The worst thing is frying it in (old) vege oil. I love my fried chicken wings and eat fried things around 3x per times generally. But I don't have a sweet tooth so I am actually very safe from sweetened food.

I also add lard oil to my fish soup because it makes it tastier. Have lard cubes in my wtm. Eats ckt occasionally but only good ones since very little nutrients in that plate except for carbs. So far, I have been lucky with my visceral fat in the ok range all this while.

Maybe the rule is to eat real food and try to minimise processed food, esp those which comes in plastic wrappers, cartons, tin cans etc.

thank you!

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

The free milk not that bad, I remember I liked it, quite sweet.ð The triangular Daisy or magnolia banana flavour is the worst.

Last time tetra pack quality not so good. Every week will have around 1 pack of triangular daisy milk surely chao sng with clumps.

Turbocharged

I buy Fage full fat Greek yogurt

i know Fage is high SES but didn't know it is so high SES.

$11.70 for 500g at NTUC.  [thumbsup]

Hypersonic

$11.70 for 500g at NTUC. [thumbsup]

Hah. Now then u know lol.

Hypersonic

$11.70 for 500g at NTUC.  [thumbsup]

Must  be the MSW of yoghurt. [laugh]

Hypersonic

Went to active sg gym at yishun on tues.

more free weights than the clementi one. but also corresponding lesser machines.

No lat pulldown machine for example. but they have a pullup assistance machine which is good.

Turbocharged

more free weights than the clementi one. but also corresponding lesser machines.

No lat pulldown machine for example. but they have a pullup assistance machine which is good.

You can also loop an exercise band over the pull up bar to create a similar assisted pull up exercise if there is no such machine.

Hypersonic

You can also loop an exercise band over the pull up bar to create a similar assisted pull up exercise if there is no such machine.

I think activesg wont allow, the only "equipment" you can bring into the gym, is your towel.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Turbocharged
(edited)

The JE one is well-equipped with lots of new stuff. Now there's a cable machine good for ab and oblique exercises. And the olympic barbell exercises, e.g. bench press, and etc. are not so crowded as with clementi or jurong west where there are lots of student users.

Not only that, there is a "FOC" area at the lobby equipped with kettlebells, platform/step, mats for floor work, and bosu balls. The analyzer machine is there too. No need to pay to use this area as it is outside the gym. Often stop by after a run at nearby chinese garden, to use the stuff - even for 10-20 minutes exercise is ok - no need pay [laugh]

Edited by Sosaria

Hypersonic

I am not sure of yishun branch, but most branches would have a lat pulldown station. Some are stand alone, some are part of a bigger machine, which is hidden at the back. 

Walk around those machines, most have stations all ard, the lat pull down may be hidden from direct view.  ^_^

Hypersonic

I am not sure of yishun branch, but most branches would have a lat pulldown station. Some are stand alone, some are part of a bigger machine, which is hidden at the back.

Walk around those machines, most have stations all ard, the lat pull down may be hidden from direct view. ^_^

This one don't have. The entire gym including exercise area is a square area. I think it's the design of the place. So the free weights are more flexible. Rather than most of these machines which are usually along the edge of the room. They only have 5 machines. But more free weights and barbells than clementi.

Hypersonic

This one don't have. The entire gym including exercise area is a square area. I think it's the design of the place. So the free weights are more flexible. Rather than most of these machines which are usually along the edge of the room. They only have 5 machines. But more free weights and barbells than clementi.

oh, so I guess the gym is those smaller ones, limited space for machines. 

If you want a full range of machines, and dont mind travel a bit, try the one at Jurong west stadium. I think the only machine it lags is the calf raise machines,  otherwise I think the machine line ups is quite comprehensive there.   [thumbsup]  [laugh]  [laugh]

JW is one of the biggest branch, the other biggest branch is tampines. 

Hypersonic

oh, so I guess the gym is those smaller ones, limited space for machines.

If you want a full range of machines, and dont mind travel a bit, try the one at Jurong west stadium. I think the only machine it lags is the calf raise machines, otherwise I think the machine line ups is quite comprehensive there. [thumbsup][laugh][laugh]

JW is one of the biggest branch, the other biggest branch is tampines.

Other side of the island... I only travel there for ict lol.
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

I think activesg wont allow, the only "equipment" you can bring into the gym, is your towel. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Oh, not even your own exercise band?

Then maybe negative pull ups to help to increase number of reps for pull ups.

Hypersonic

Oh, not even your own exercise band?

Then maybe negative pull ups to help to increase number of reps for pull ups.

Activesg got alot of house rules one.

If I am not wrong, no outside equipment allowed. 

so beside the towel, which is enforced, cannot bring any other equipment to train. So so pull up/dip belts, no weighted back packs, if you want can only ask to use their weighted vest, which is 20kg. 

Free weights must be kept to the free weight zone only, cannot take the weight plates or dumbbells out of the zone even if you doing farmers walk or lungs. 

No chalks allowed. 

no bringing of any bands or handles for the machines.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Hypersonic

Other side of the island... I only travel there for ict lol.

actually there are many other exercises can do in the gym, no lat pull down, do other things. Important thing is get yourself back in action and improve your strength first.  [thumbsup]

Can do seated machine row, bend over barbell row, for upper back.

seated dumbbell overhead press, standing barbell overhead press for shoulders. 

also can help in your pull ups. 

do some deadlift to strength your grip, also helps the pull ups. 

many more as you go along.  ^_^  [laugh]

Turbocharged

Activesg got alot of house rules one.

If I am not wrong, no outside equipment allowed.

so beside the towel, which is enforced, cannot bring any other equipment to train. So so pull up/dip belts, no weighted back packs, if you want can only ask to use their weighted vest, which is 20kg.

Free weights must be kept to the free weight zone only, cannot take the weight plates or dumbbells out of the zone even if you doing farmers walk or lungs.

No chalks allowed.

no bringing of any bands or handles for the machines. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

So many no. Typical govt rules.

I can't see why exercise bands cannot bring. If doing farmers walk and bring back the dumbell after the exercise, why cannot also.

Hypersonic

So many no. Typical govt rules.

I can't see why exercise bands cannot bring. If doing farmers walk and bring back the dumbell after the exercise, why cannot also.

Go fitness corner in the park can use. I see youngsters have their gymnast ring attached to the pull up bar. 

↡ Advertisement