Change tail light for 2016 Hyundai Elantra

hanayori

Wish to get help here.

My car is Elantra Basic model. i crack the left tail light cover a few month ago.

Now I got a new light and wish to change by my self.

However, when I start to do DIY, I found there is an additional wire connect to the tail light.

Is there anyone can advice what is this wire for? I think it looks like for the power source for reverse camera, or reverse sensor?

The new light I bought do not have this wire.

I attached the photos. Thanks

post-148240-0-64456800-1526694469_thumb.jpg

The new light bought do not have this wire

post-148240-0-04919000-1526694488_thumb.jpg

I checked the right tail light, do not have this wire

post-148240-0-25138800-1526694535_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

hmm ... just a asking a 'weird' question since never changed before ... is it possible to detach the cover from the chassis,

and just change the cracked part, and keep all the electrical parts intact ?

Less change, less problems ...

• Praise 2

Its a panel not a chasis.

Find on YouTube how the whole housing is removed.

Can't be that difficult to DIY.

Yes. I checked on the YouTube, do not have this wire.

It is quite easy if do not have this wire. However, if have this wire it is difficult even you want to change the bulb of the light, because you can not remove the light from the car without cut it

• Praise 1

hmm ... just a asking a 'weird' question since never changed before ... is it possible to detach the cover from the chassis,

Not recommended, the light assy is sealed(water proofed). Just changed the whole assy.

hmm ... just a asking a 'weird' question since never changed before ... is it possible to detach the cover from the chassis,

Can not find any information on change the cover only online.

Change the whole light is easier than change the cover only, if without this wire. Because even in Hyundai manual they teach you how to change the bulb, which need to take the light out from car.

Can not find any information on change the cover only online.

Change the whole light is easier than change the cover only, if without this wire. Because even in Hyundai manual they teach you how to change the bulb, which need to take the light out from car.

Does your Elantra comes with reverse camera or reverse sensor? Perhaps you should try to connect the new tail-light, and engage reverse to see if the reverse sensor or camera working, if they are not working, that wire should be the power supply for the reverse camera and reverse sensor.

@TS, use this opportunity to do a proper wire tapping. Try to tap from the connector back end instead of splicing the new wire.

I checked some friend in Hyundai, they do not know about this wire. Most likely Komoco locally added. I have written an email to Komoco service to asking. Actually should not have this kind of design. In this design, driver can not DIY change the lamp bulb, which should be ok to do DIY. (Even in user manual showed how to change bulb. )

Turbocharged

Wish to get help here.

My car is Elantra Basic model. i crack the left tail light cover a few month ago.

Now I got a new light and wish to change by my self.

However, when I start to do DIY, I found there is an additional wire connect to the tail light.

Is there anyone can advice what is this wire for? I think it looks like for the power source for reverse camera, or reverse sensor?

The new light I bought do not have this wire.

I attached the photos. Thanks

attachicon.gifIMG_8418.JPG

The new light bought do not have this wire

attachicon.gifIMG_8423.JPG

I checked the right tail light, do not have this wire

attachicon.gifIMG_8421.JPG

U bought it brand new from Komodo?

U bought it brand new from Komodo?

Yes car bought from Komoco brand new. New lamp is not from Komoco

I checked some friend in Hyundai, they do not know about this wire. Most likely Komoco locally added. I have written an email to Komoco service to asking. Actually should not have this kind of design. In this design, driver can not DIY change the lamp bulb, which should be ok to do DIY. (Even in user manual showed how to change bulb. )

Err.. which part of the design prevent you from changing the bulb yourself?
  • Praise 1

Err.. which part of the design prevent you from changing the bulb yourself?

With that wire you can not dismount the lamp from the car.

With that wire you can not dismount the lamp from the car.

Just a wild guess , it could be a signal source  for reverse camera to activate when engage "R" gear.

↡ Advertisement