Guide - Getting a preowned / 2nd hand car

song77

(edited)

For me I bought second hand car from AD used car arm only. Never tried buying from those independent used car dealers from Ubi. I don’t intend to after hearing so many stories from them and price difference also not much.

Edited by No_worries
  • Praise 2

number plate cheap to change if price and condition is right. haha

It was a Toyota Corona, the big back side version. Went to KL a few times, up Gentings with no problem.

The plate number? ....9453. In Cantonese, it means "nine dead, non living". Hahaha!

Good thing I was short of cash and did not bother much about numbers. Kept the car plate till scrap.

Almost 9 out of 10 times is buyer fail to do due diligence...

If you noticed, it will always be 'the dealer say

Almost like if dealer ask them jump down they jump down lol

I was a victim and lost a small amount. It's water under the bridge. Upon reflection, majority of the fault lies with us, the buyer. There should be a mindset change.

Anyone read the article by Christopher Tan on odometer tampering?

• Praise 1

Next time buyer come see car bring own OBD to check hehehe

No use one.... Even I can reset the faults using a cheap Taobao OBD tool, sure the dealers would clear the faults and reset the service lights too.

• Praise 1

No use one.... Even I can reset the faults using a cheap Taobao OBD tool, sure the dealers would clear the faults and reset the service lights too.

You are right. My first vehicle had a CEL light one day after I collected the vehicle from 2nd hand dealer. I called the dealer but he denied everything. Ended up brought the vehicle to a workshop to discover the cat converter is half dead. Had to change to another preowned cat converter which lasted me for quite a while - spent another couple of hundreds for the pre owned cat converter.

• Praise 1

Noob Question:

How safe is it to go with the direct seller on transfer day to his bank to full settle for him via cashier's order.

Then Proceed to LTA together to do the transfer?

Already have the seller's IC, SGCM's private sale agreement forms.

Noob Question:

How safe is it to go with the direct seller on transfer day to his bank to full settle for him via cashier's order.

I have thought about this process before but didn't go thru it in the end as the sale didn't go through.

I think there is some time involved for the bank to settle the loan with your cashier's order and transfer full ownership of the car to the seller, this might take a day or more.

I think a safe way would be to take over the car on the day of loan settlement with all sales agreement forms signed. Then you meet the seller a another day at LTA to do ownership transfer. Also purchase insurance coverage for the car in your name so that you can legally drive it

Maybe others with experience can chime in?

• Praise 1

I bought a second hand car from a direct owner last year. We went to LTA together and did the transfer. I paid the transfer fees.

We then went to the car and did a final check. Upon satisfaction, I passed the CO to the owner. Took over the car and sent the seller to the nearest MRT station.

Hope this helps. :)

• Praise 3

I bought a second hand car from a direct owner last year. We went to LTA together and did the transfer. I paid the transfer fees.

We then went to the car and did a final check. Upon satisfaction, I passed the CO to the owner. Took over the car and sent the seller to the nearest MRT station.

Hope this helps. :)

Did the owner have a bank loan, would you know?   That's where it may take longer, I think.

• Praise 1

I did ask him. He said he didn't take a loan. But he has no document to prove it. I asked him to write on the transfer form he didn't take a loan.

So far, is fine.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

I did ask him. He said he didn't take a loan. But he has no document to prove it. I asked him to write on the transfer form he didn't take a loan.

So far, is fine.

Dun think seller will be able to transfer the car to your name if there is still an outstanding loan . 

Can also double check their insurance cover letter , think it will state if there is any bank loan or not one .  

Dun think seller will be able to transfer the car to your name if there is still an outstanding loan . 

Can also double check their insurance cover letter , think it will state if there is any bank loan or not one .  

LTA will not do the tranfer to you as long as there is an outstanding loan. They are able to check on that. 

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Noob Question:

If you go LTA to do transfer with the owner, it is very safe because the transfer is immediate and on the spot. I did it twice, paid cashier order.

anyone have advice or experience with roughly >8 yrs old forced induction car? after all SC/TC are essentially extra wear and tear parts. plenty of rocs and golfs (among other FI cars) from '08-'10 in the used market now and I'm wondering if they are good buys in terms of reliability.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

anyone have advice or experience with roughly >8 yrs old forced induction car? after all SC/TC are essentially extra wear and tear parts. plenty of rocs and golfs (among other FI cars) from '08-'10 in the used market now and I'm wondering if they are good buys in terms of reliability.

Better check on their gearboxes.

Better check on their gearboxes.

true, read many posts on the infamous dsg. but today I am curious about SC/TC in older used cars

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1