Guide - Getting a preowned / 2nd hand car

song77

I am merely stating the facts. If you trust 100 per cent what people say, you will be at the losing end.

It's people's choice on how and what they would choose to believe or trust.

No need for others to educate  them.  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Hi bros,

I had placed a deposit of $2,000 for purchase of a car with Inchape Pre-owned.  However, in the end I probably will not go ahead with the purchase.

If anyone is keen to purchase a car with Inchape Pre-owned, I can transfer the deposit to you at a discount.

Feel free to PM me if you're interested.

Thanks !

Hi everyone, I will be getting a used car from a dealer. What are the charge to get a brand new of vehicle registration number without going for bidding.

Planning to get a Honda Stream RSZ to extend for another 10 years of COE.

Thank you

Turbocharged

Hi everyone, I will be getting a used car from a dealer. What are the charge to get a brand new of vehicle registration number without going for bidding.

Planning to get a Honda Stream RSZ to extend for another 10 years of COE.

Thank you

All in, inclusive the number plate <$100

Workshops like people of your type . You offer yourself for them to chop you. There are no honest workshops in Singapore anymore.

Very rare. But  got lah.

I'd have to say though, even the most honest workshop will try to chop you if they sense that you're blur.

Hmm.. They exist to make money. So the more they make, the happier the bosses will be. How serious the chop is will depends on the integrity of the personnel already.

Very rare. But  got lah.
I'd have to say though, even the most honest workshop will try to chop you if they sense that you're blur.

Workshops like people of your type . You offer yourself for them to chop you. There are no honest workshops in Singapore anymore.

U never met one does not mean it never exist.

May be a dumb question that I've got here. My mind not thinking well on this subject.

Comparing a pre-owned car with low COE (say, a 2-year old car) versus one with high COE (say, a 4-year old at about $60k COE).

Is it more sensitive to take a loan on one with lower COE?

I can only figure it out that why service a loan on bigger COE-proportioned of whole car value compared to a lower COE-proportioned?

Or does it matter at all with regards to whether COE was high or low since car dealers will market base on the same annual depreciation?

Thank you for your enlightenment.

I saw an ad for a 1yr 3mo car, COE 31k, OMV 35k, ARF 41k, Dereg Value: 58k, Mileage 20k

Selling price is 148k 

Really curious how much did the 2nd car dealer pay for such a new car?  Anyone care to comment? 

14 hours ago, Lotr said:

I saw an ad for a 1yr 3mo car, COE 31k, OMV 35k, ARF 41k, Dereg Value: 58k, Mileage 20k

Selling price is 148k 

Really curious how much did the 2nd car dealer pay for such a new car?  Anyone care to comment? 

Link to the ad?

Neutral Newbie

Hi seniors, I came across a secondhand car which i am keen to purchase. I told the dealer that i need to send the car for pre-purchase inspection at my workshop before i can make a decision. However, the dealer insist that i make a deposit first, and said "if the grade is really at least b grade, we will proceed on with the loan". 

I told him i will pay for the inspection fees. I am not sure why he keeps talking about grade of the inspection - i think he might be linking it to STA inspection. 

Anyone came across such practices by dealers? Care to share your opinion on the matter?

19 minutes ago, airbuss said:

Hi seniors, I came across a secondhand car which i am keen to purchase. I told the dealer that i need to send the car for pre-purchase inspection at my workshop before i can make a decision. However, the dealer insist that i make a deposit first, and said "if the grade is really at least b grade, we will proceed on with the loan". 

I told him i will pay for the inspection fees. I am not sure why he keeps talking about grade of the inspection - i think he might be linking it to STA inspection. 

Anyone came across such practices by dealers? Care to share your opinion on the matter?

His thinking  is a lot more complicated than you could imagine. Once you paid deposit, you will have to be prepared to spend a lot of time and energy in asking back your money if you end up not buying the car regardless of the inspection outcome. And mind you, you will still not likely to get back your deposit😅

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 2

41 minutes ago, airbuss said:

Just move on to find another option. 

• Praise 6

Neutral Newbie
23 hours ago, airbuss said:

Yes, he's referring to STA evaluation service.

Not uncommon for dealers to get you to commit to buying if the car makes a certain grade cos else he'll be wasting his resources sending it over.

Neutral Newbie

There some pointers by the seniors given above on how to buy a used car. But in my opinion buying a used car means you have to be prepared for wear-n-tear issues that may or may not happen. Usually a Toyota and Honda will not give drastic issues as their engine and original spare parts are reliable. Which is the primary reason that lots of COE-renewed cars are Honda/Toyota. However you still have to be prepared regardless.

As a dealer. For COE cars, you are unlikely to get a warranty for that car.

• Praise 1

Thanks for the guide and tips throughout the thread! I just passed my TP 3 days ago and looking to buy a used car so this thread was super useful.

I've made an appointment to view a used car this week, and possibly test drive it. Will there be any issue with requesting to test drive because I just passed my TP test? Test drive need P-plate or not lol.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1