Singapore to Fail without PAP?

Aventador

(edited)

Lets stick to talking about effects on Singapore in this thread. Thanks alot

I think what he was trying to point out was that - what is happening to Taiwan now can happen to Singapore - in economical sense.

I frequently discussed this with my Taiwanese counterparts where many of them lamented that Taiwan is losing its attractiveness to global companies. This is, majorly, due to China's move to squeeze Taiwan on all sides. What were the China's investment into Taiwan's "friends" about? This is precisely it. Think China's investment in Malaysia and Thailand.

UPDATE: Just as I finished posting this, Taiwan lost another two friends this month. The most recent one, just yesterday.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3440023

When we transpose Taiwan's situation into Singapore, this can jolly well happen to us too. Even if it's not due to China, other policy changes in Singapore can potentially wreak havoc on Singapore's attractiveness to global companies operating here. Many of them, taking advantage of Singapore's favorable tax structure, English-speaking work force, less tendency for a protectionist environment (unlike in US, China or Australia) and many more.

Once Singapore loses our attractiveness, it will spell the deterioration of our economy. And, some giant nations are actively working to demean Singapore and our working structure. It's a fact that a resource-limited island nation like ours need friends. Can our opposition build an effective network of friendship as our incumbent had? Do they have that sort of global experience to undertake such a massive change? It is debatable I am sure.

Singapore still will not fail, that, I am sure. Just a matter of whether can Singaporeans live through that sort of hardship necessary to see a Singapore without PAP. If Singaporeans want to see a change without losing today's comfort, all the more we need an opposition which is as good as PAP or even better, nothing less.

You can't have both cakes and eat them all.

Edited by Ravinged
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Doesn't matter what will be the party.

What matter most are capable leaders who work with ear....

A listening ear that feels the pulse on the ground.

Don't want to say work with heart because governing people if work by heart also sure die, cannot work by emotion and feeling.

Agree if current leader is not hearing what the people want, not improving the lives of ppl i think he will not last

Lets stick to talking about effects on Singapore in this thread. Thanks alot

U asked what will happen to sg if w/o pap? Then i ask u to look at taiwan

Taiwan was among 4 asian tiger in 70-80s along with sg. Where are they now?

Edited by Thaiyotakamli

(edited)

Fresh graduates are seeking jobs in china due to better opportunities. Their pay had been stagnant for the past 10 yrs

So Singaporeans' pay improving? Taiwan is not even voted among the most expensive cities in the world but we are. Just go check out those jobs below 2k a month in sg 10 years ago n now how much their pay increase. Edited by LPPL
  • Praise 5

in malaysia, even though they change the govt, the two guys they put in all had experience in running the country, more experience than anyone else in fact.  

will pakatan harapan still win if they are all novice at governing?  will we elect a opposition who are novice at governing?  if ever we elect a non-PAP government, it is likely to be ex-PAP.  

So Singaporeans' pay improving? Taiwan is not even voted among the most expensive cities in the world but we are. Just go check out those jobs below 2k a month in sg 10 years ago n now how much their pay increase.

U know how much fresh grad in taiwan? sgd1k nia otherwise u see why so many taiwanese coming here for cisco job?

10 yrs ago poly pay ard 1.7k now about 2.1k iirc

Taipei housing not cheap wor. Many young taiwanese struggle to own a home

Supersonic

Singaporeans are kiasi people. Most would not want to rock the boat.

So pappy just need to frighten them about the bogeyman and most would vote for them.

• Praise 2

Singaporeans are kiasi people. Most would not want to rock the boat.

So pappy just need to frighten them about the bogeyman and most would vote for them.

What do you forsee really happening if there is a change in government?

(edited)

paging @Dach ...... send in the âclownsâ

Paging @aaronlkl

Edited by Freeder
  • Praise 2

U know how much fresh grad in taiwan? sgd1k nia otherwise u see why so many taiwanese coming here for cisco job?

10 yrs ago poly pay ard 1.7k now about 2.1k iirc

Taipei housing not cheap wor. Many young taiwanese struggle to own a home

Huh? $1700 to $2100 a month in 10 years ($40 increment a year) for poly grad pay you call that increment? $40 a year increment is barely enough to cover inflation. A coffeeshop 头手 with no education can earn $2k a month so how much you think a poly grad should get paid!

Turbocharged
(edited)

So Singaporeans' pay improving? Taiwan is not even voted among the most expensive cities in the world but we are. Just go check out those jobs below 2k a month in sg 10 years ago n now how much their pay increase.

Singapore is rated most expensive city only because they factor in the cost of car. In Taiwan most graduates cannot find job, end up work selling food. Here most graduates can find a proper job with long term prospect. I teach in a varsity and recently one of my student got a job with a starting salary of $4k (not even a degree holder). Another student of mine worked for about coming to 15 years, the salary is already 5 figures. Of cos not everyone can achieve the same, it boils down to oneself even though opportunity is plenty here. But people who blame the system are often those who don't look at themselves why they dont make it while others do. Edited by Ingenius
  • Praise 1

Singapore is rated most expensive city only because they factor in the cost of car. In Taiwan most graduates cannot find job, end up work selling food. Here most graduates can find a proper job with long term prospect. I teach in a varsity and recently one of my student got a job with a starting salary of $4k (not even a degree holder). Another student of mine worked for about coming to 15 years, the salary is already 5 figures. Of cos not everyone can achieve the same, it boils down to oneself even though opportunity is plenty here. But people who blame the system are often those who don't look at themselves why they dont make it while others do.

In your opinion will these jobs disappear without the PAP as the government?

If yes. Why? How will this happen?

Singapore is rated most expensive city only because they factor in the cost of car. In Taiwan most graduates cannot find job, end up work selling food. Here most graduates can find a proper job with long term prospect. I teach in a varsity and recently one of my student got a job with a starting salary of $4k (not even a degree holder). Another student of mine worked for about coming to 15 years, the salary is already 5 figures. Of cos not everyone can achieve the same, it boils down to oneself even though opportunity is plenty here. But people who blame the system are often those who don't look at themselves why they dont make it while others do.

You are referring to a small minority, you should carry out a survey of the bottom 20% of university graduates each year and see how well they fair. When these local graduates don't make it but others do, you should see what you mean by others, are they even locals? As an academic, you should know that it is impossible for locals to compete with the world. Is it easier to find 2000 top talents from China (with 10 million university graduates a year) to fill up 2000 jobs meant for our 2000 local graduates? Common sense will tell you no matter how hard our locals work at university, we can easily be displaced by foreigners. Don't forget that 10 million university graduates a year is just from China, that alone is enough to overtake our country.
  • Praise 2

Huh? $1700 to $2100 a month in 10 years ($40 increment a year) for poly grad pay you call that increment? $40 a year increment is barely enough to cover inflation. A coffeeshop 头æ with no education can earn $2k a month so how much you think a poly grad should get paid!

After i check now ald hit 2.3k.

Also need to consider the duration u need to find a job. Many young taiwanese jobless end up selling street food at night market. Also need to consider career progression. My poly friends now enjoy salary above 5k after working for few yrs, its impossible to get this amount of salary in taiwan.

And moreover $1k in taiwan is for fresh grad from university. In sg local uni earn 3.7k nowadays.

Maybe u should understand taiwan more before thinking the grass at the other side is greener

You are referring to a small minority, you should carry out a survey of the bottom 20% of university graduates each year and see how well they fair. When these local graduates don't make it but others do, you should see what you mean by others, are they even locals? As an academic, you should know that it is impossible for locals to compete with the world. Is it easier to find 2000 top talents from China (with 10 million university graduates a year) to fill up 2000 jobs meant for our 2000 local graduates? Common sense will tell you no matter how hard our locals work at university, we can easily be displaced by foreigners. Don't forget that 10 million university graduates a year is just from China, that alone is enough to overtake our country.

Which uni grad? Even private uni earning 2.7k at least. I didnt know about how many china grad coming here but employment rate here is low.
↡ Advertisement