Singapore to Fail without PAP?

Aventador

Turbocharged
(edited)

I think you need to speak to "real workers". I'm talking about professionals, unless you can tell me a country that pegs economic performance to prostitution rates.

With all of my Taiwanese friends (a few of them in HR), Taiwanese salaries are declining steadily. Take IT programming/engineering for example, one would have thought the presence of Google data centre there would see significant increase in salaries due to expertise gained. However, it is the complete opposite. For small IT companies, you can now hire fresh IT engineers as low as S$1,500 a month. This is just a little higher than what the fresh IT engineers in Vietnam which is between US$700-US$1000 a month. Not very far off, considering the amount of server hardware factories there are in Taiwan.

Spend less time in red light district and see more in the real business world. We know most chongsters are full of bulls**t anyway.

It just strikes me that people there still have enough income to throw, doesn't seem like scraping a living. Salary level alone does not tell the true story. Our high cost of living pretty much negates whatever meagre gains in salary that we get.

Even in singapore these days a proportion of graduates are jobless or working low-paid jobs. Same as in taiwan. Simply because these grads were in the wrong field or their degrees are from less valued institutions. Like IT as you mentioned, who in the right mind goes into this field which is overstaffed with cheap indian and pinoy nationals? These graduates in taiwan same as in singapore, destined for low pay. Those come here to work as security guard ... bet you their degrees are from useless fields rendering them unemployable.

Edited by Sosaria
↡ Advertisement

Just give me back MY CPF money when I turn 55. Thatâs all I ask.

They will bankrupt if everyone draw out at 55
  • Praise 2

It just strikes me that people there still have enough income to throw, doesn't seem like scraping a living. Salary level alone does not tell the true story. Our high cost of living pretty much negates whatever meagre gains in salary that we get.

Prostitution is like gambling.... it's addictive. Some can be so addicted to it, it doesn't matter if they have to steal or rob. It's not an accurate reflection of economy.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

a monopoly is never good for anybody except the winner.

pap is one such example.

• Praise 2

They will bankrupt if everyone draw out at 55 ð

The best part is somebody's wife is helming the sovereign wealth fund with no transparency. The humji 70% happily allow that.
  • Praise 1

The best part is somebody's wife is helming the sovereign wealth fund with no transparency. The humji 70% happily allow that.

Who is better ... her or Rosmah
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

I would like to see fats trimmed up at the senior management level, not just the mini star level.. like dunno what secretary..

• Praise 2

(edited)

I hear this from taiwan tv news. They even compare salary for taiwanese vs korea and sg. Also even compare with china 1st tier cities. Yet taiwan still the lowest among all.

As u mention thai ladies prefer to work there due to ease in getting permit. Here in sg too much regulation

Wah! Rental in Singapore more than 200% higher than Taipei! Consumer prices 69% higher than Taipei! Restaurant prices 92% higher than Taipei! Of course Taiwanese don't feel as much strain as Singaporeans. One thing that amazes me is that with the kind of cock rental yield of sub 2% in sg, rental can still be 200+% higher than Taipei, really amazing.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Taiwan&city1=Taipei&country2=Singapore&city2=Singapore

Edited by LPPL
  • Praise 1

I would like to see fats trimmed up at the senior management level, not just the mini star level.. like dunno what secretary..

Like the dog lying in bed with Tin Tin?

The worst nightmare of MCF.

All traffic lights may stop to function. All cars grind to a halt.

All street lights cannot function. zero power, all homes no aircon, no fan, allow frozen food spoilt, all PMD cannot be charged, all communication stopped because HP no power......

I cannot continue to imagine the day SG fail....in comparison NK will be parsdise.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Wah! Rental in Singapore more than 200% higher than Taipei! Consumer prices 69% higher than Taipei! Restaurant prices 92% higher than Taipei! Of course Taiwanese don't feel as much strain as Singaporeans. One thing that amazes me is that with the kind of cock rental yield of sub 2% in sg, rental can still be 200+% higher than Taipei, really amazing.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Taiwan&city1=Taipei&country2=Singapore&city2=Singapore

Amazing that u compare sg condo with taipei apartment lol

Why dont rent or buy hdb?

Oh i forgot that taiwanese always prefer to rent because they cant afford home neither they have hdb.

Btw our hdb are equivalent to their apartment

And nobody forcing u to eat restaurant everyday. Want eat restaurant can go zichar stall or go causeway

Dont forget hor taiwan NTU vs Sg NTU pay 3x lower

Edited by Thaiyotakamli

(edited)

On YouTube, look for Russell & Paula.

These young Taiwanese couple moved to Singapore because they can save more $$$$.

Edited by Davidtch

(edited)
Before I go into my views on what happens to Singapore if there is a change in government, let us look at how Parliament works.

In Singapore, Parliament consists of 89 MPs. 

In an Election, the party with a simple majority (45 MPs or more) will form the government.

And the Leader of the winning party will become the Prime Minister, and he will select the Cabinet from the MPs in his party.

The Cabinet is supposed to consist of the PM, DPM, and 15 Ministers (heading 15 ministries). So 17 key persons.

[Current cabinet got 19 people, because got extra DPM and extra minister in PM office]

The 15 ministries are:

Defence

Finance

Trade and Industry

Manpower

National Development

Education

Transport

Law

Home Affairs

Health

Foreign Affairs

Environment

Communications & Info

Social & Family

Culture & Community

To me, the important people are these 17 people. 

The rest of the MPs are candy floss, light and fluffy with no substance. Many of them hold full time jobs outside and 1000 directorships. And don’t even bother to attend most of the sessions.

Edited by Aventador
  • Praise 5

So the question is what happens to Singapore if there is a change in Government, and these 17 important people are replaced by a new team?

In my opinion, a change in government does not affect the system already in place – none of the current civil service heads are likely to resign because the minister is replaced.

In fact, Ministers are replaced every few years anyway, just that they are all from the PAP. (and I would suspect the pay scale is so nice that it would not make economic sense to spite themselves!)

The difference then would be the direction that the country would take in the future. As the civil service would follow the directions set by the Cabinet

If I were to project what a new government would do, I would say we would actually be better off in areas like Education, Health, Social & Family, Culture.

Why? I feel perhaps new people with a different perspective, perhaps less profit oriented, would lead us into a more people centred focus.

Perhaps healthcare charges would go down, instead of everything billing as 'market price'

Defence/Law/Home Affairs - I don’t believe a true Singaporean in power will mess with the Defence ministry, Home affairs and Law. All Singaporeans agree that security of the Nation is important.

Manpower - I think the new government would likely as an election promise, reduce the influx of foreigners.

This will impact business in Singapore, as it would result in less labour for foreign companies setting up in Singapore.

But will all the MNCs that create jobs here in Singapore leave because of this? I feel that it is actually nothing more than dollars and cents. They are here because we offer good tax rates, and a safe environment. As long as the new government does not mess with this, companies will still set up here.

National Development – from above reduction in foreigners, there will be less demand for housing, especially rental housing. This will in general cause a lowering of property values. (obviously from 6million people to say 5 million people, you lose 1 million people needing housing)

It would suck for those holding investment properties. But the young might be happier, with cheaper property.

Trade – All governments in the world seek to expand trade (Even North Korea). So an opposition trade minister is likely to pursue the same free trade that we do now

Transport – HAHA , no idea what they will do? Remove the COE scheme and replace with something else? 

Finance – I forsee a new govt to aim for less budget surpluses. Perhaps they will aim for a balanced budget. So either social spending will increase, or taxes will go down. I cannot see a new govt surviving long if they pursue a deficit budget (ie lose money every year)

• Praise 1

(edited)
Summary

My opinion - it is that Singapore will not collapse with a change in government. 

As long as the people voted in are rational, Singapore will survive.

In my analysis, I feel certain ministries will actually improve. Some will have no major changes.

But some will have changes that affect some jobs and property prices – can we live with that? I think we can. 

I think as long as we have capable and honest people voted into government, Singapore will survive. (If a najib appears, i believe we are smart enough to vote him out)

All of us are Singaporeans, survivors and smart, regardless of political beliefs.

Can we find 17 smart and capable people that are not affliated to the PAP? If after 50 years of Nation building, we still can't , then we deserve to fail as a country.

Edited by Aventador
  • Praise 6

Why in the first place u want to replace PAP?

Ur scenarios has many what if, and assumptions that new govt will not screw up the policy making procedures.

We will not collapse but our economy might shrink, we might see deflation, we might see more jobless man on the street.

Tbh we cant afford to let a nation that has been built solidly for past 50 years to be managed by a group of new and inexperience government.

If our leader like najib, our nation hold 1Trillion debt whereby government and civil service are corrupted and the nation is facing currency devaluation, opposition will be the best choice.

As for ur prediction of various ministry outcome possibilities

Healthcare currently every singaporean is well covered with medisave, medishield, subsidies in general hospitals including surgeries.

For manpower, u only see short term problem not long term. Reduction of foreign workers will affect the gdp, our gdp will shrink, economy slowing down, more business will fail. With lesser output, theres no use to promote trade with other countries unless we can replace the current output by automation or robots.

MNCs here not only for low tax and safe environment, they also see our sgd as strong and stable currency. If one day our economy shrink and currency devalued, most MNCs will run away and set up HQ elsewhere. SG will lose its competitiveness, worse spending more on social welfare although its a good thing, its not viable. If another round of global financial crisis comes, the govt may not have enough money to bail out local companies and banks. Budget surplus is good, many countries wish to achieve this

If new govt promote social spending and reduce tax, i worry they might deplete the saving for past 50 yrs. Afterall they will give u happiness for short term by the time u realise they screw up, theres no way turning back, even if we get to vote them out, the damage is there and will take longer time to recover

I believe that GE14 has given a wake up call for ruling party here to hear more rakyat voice and work out to a better and affordable quality of living

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2