Singapore to Fail without PAP?

Aventador

Too lazy to ready all 6 pages. My opinion and I had been told too many times.NO ONE IS INDISPENSABLE.

If PAP goes, there might be chaos and hardships and uncertainties at first, but, we will find our way to adapt and survive.

My personal thought - running Singapore like a business is not wrong but they got to find the balance between growth and commpanssion for the citizens. At present, its all about growth and gdp. The disconnect with the people has been ignored. Listening to grassroots is equal to hearing shit. 3 big issues they got. Cpf, Hdb and, transparency on our reserve.

Let's talk and focus more on the road condition issues, traffic flow problem, Taxes, COE, ERP all relating to the transportation. Let's be fair to them and measure it by the 1st world standard.

↡ Advertisement

Their policy is all about dollars and cents. It's too heartless. Where is the care and concern for citizens? It's about squeezing every dollars from it's people as legally as possible. Policy always come with sugar coated words. End of the day, we end up poorer

• Praise 1

Before I go into my views on what happens to Singapore if there is a change in government, let us look at how Parliament works.
In Singapore, Parliament consists of 89 MPs. 

In an Election, the party with a simple majority (45 MPs or more) will form the government.
And the Leader of the winning party will become the Prime Minister, and he will select the Cabinet from the MPs in his party.

The Cabinet is supposed to consist of the PM, DPM, and 15 Ministers (heading 15 ministries). So 17 key persons.

[Current cabinet got 19 people, because got extra DPM and extra minister in PM office]

The 15 ministries are:

Defence
Finance
Trade and Industry
Manpower
National Development
Education
Transport
Law
Home Affairs
Health
Foreign Affairs
Environment
Communications & Info
Social & Family
Culture & Community

To me, the important people are these 17 people. 
The rest of the MPs are candy floss, light and fluffy with no substance. Many of them hold full time jobs outside and 1000 directorships. And don’t even bother to attend most of the sessions.

And 1 more thing. Abolish the stupid GRC system and let each minister fight 1 vs 1 la. 

Force those jiakliaobee MPs who ride on the GRC system to enter parliament to work harder for their elected constituencies, and be 100% committed in what they do. No full time jobs outside, and no directorships. $15k a month allowance is already quite a lot for these MPs. 

(edited)

And 1 more thing. Abolish the stupid GRC system and let each minister fight 1 vs 1 la. 

Force those jiakliaobee MPs who ride on the GRC system to enter parliament to work harder for their elected constituencies, and be 100% committed in what they do. No full time jobs outside, and no directorships. $15k a month allowance is already quite a lot for these MPs. 

yes, why need so many jiak liao bi MPs to oversee one GRC that I can drive round in a car in 5 minutes? Singapore is already a multiracial society before the GRC thing came into being, so the idea of having MPs from the 4 ethnic groups to represent the  different races is simply BS. It is like going back to raffles days when the chinese chief deals with the chinese and malay village head deals with the malays. Can't believe educated people today can agree with this shit. our society needs to progress past racial lines and the GRC system is clearly outdated and divisive. 

yes, why need so many jiak liao bi MPs to oversee one GRC that I can drive round in a car in 5 minutes? Singapore is already a multiracial society before the GRC thing came into being, so the idea of having MPs from the 4 ethnic groups to represent the  different races is simply BS. It is like going back to raffles days when the chinese chief deals with the chinese and malay village head deals with the malays. Can't believe educated people today can agree with this shit. our society needs to progress past racial lines and the GRC system is clearly outdated and divisive. 

Edited by LPPL
  • Praise 1

And ministers and mp all take paycuts. This will avoid the need to raise taxes every now and then

Hypersonic

Honestly,a lot of people here are also disgruntled about the mode of transportation here.

When I board the bus,i see that bus fares for those that had spent more than $2 previously for bus rides can have their fares as low as 5 cents,which is not even enough to buy a sweet.

This,I think is a source of worry as it is not sustainable at all.

Bus fares ought to be raised so as to make it sustainable,and to match other developed countries.

In my opinion,this is as good as subsidies to petroleum and the full results will be felt once the subsidies are cancelled due to reduced funds.

The result might pan out to be the same as some countries like Indonesia which reduced subsidies.

However,other than that,we still need to be pragmatic and encourage a carlite Singapore.

However,this cannot be done by monetary means.

It should be done by physical means.

Like reducing car park lots in CBD by half.Due to demand, parking rates are hiked to 40 dollars a day/1000 dollars a month,given that a lot of people still drive to work there.

For others, tolls on expressways at about 10 cent/km.

Though for non CBD areas and housing estates,car park rates could be reduced to about 60 dollars a month and parking at other places reduced to $1/hour.

Slash tax on petroleum products and reduce price to $1.30/L and reduce size of petrol stations to do so.Government must also provide concessions on rent and make petrol stations unmanned(i.e adopt technology like credit cards and those without cannot pay for petrol/NTUC cash payment at machines.)

Tax on vehicles must be reduced.

Scrap parf,etc,so car owners get nothing back.

Though scrap Coe and reduce tax collected on cars so as to make owning cars cheaper but difficult to run.

Lift the 10 year restrictions on car usage and scrap the increasing road tax after 10 years(old cars are actually greener than having to buy another new car)

Road tax should be based on emissions and fuel consumption instead of the archaic displacement based rate.

Inspection based on vehicles weight and inspection once a year after 5 years.

Use NEDC for emissions tests and not any cock and bull method.

This might be a farce...but if government does so,there will be no need to make citizens that disgruntled by taxing them to death for what they want.

Despite a smaller amount of taxes collected, government will also lose less as there are no more subsidies for buses and trains.

The difference can be made up of the government reduces expenditure on other unnecessary stuff,issues.

Maybe I am confused by your description on transportation, it seem contradictory. I reckon you don't need to drive to CBD for work needs, if that's the case, quite selfish idea. Btw, parking inside CBD hourly basis can cost $60 or more a day.

Their policy is all about dollars and cents. It's too heartless. Where is the care and concern for citizens? It's about squeezing every dollars from it's people as legally as possible. Policy always come with sugar coated words. End of the day, we end up poorer

The govt is using trickle-down economics to lure businesses here in the promise of job creation, but they later give in to foreign companies' need for foreign labour, which they see as an opportunity for population expansion as well. Many govts in the world have some level of protectionism towards its citizens but not in our current system. PRs who are still considered foreigners get to purchase public housing, exploiting this opening our govt has created for them. The escalating public housing prices can be attributed to the govt's loose policy of allowing foreigners own hdb flats. Many foreigners had bought and sold our hdb flats for quick profit in the past and our govt had left that unchecked for donkey years until prices had escalated to a high before the cooling measures kicked in. How can the govt not know what had been going on? Did they deliberately allow that to happen coz higher valuations will benefit their future pricing of btos? The govt is obviously taking Singaporeans for fools.    

The govt is using trickle-down economics to lure businesses here in the promise of job creation, but they later give in to foreign companies' need for foreign labour, which they see as an opportunity for population expansion as well. Many govts in the world have some level of protectionism towards its citizens but not in our current system. PRs who are still considered foreigners get to purchase public housing, exploiting this opening our govt has created for them. The escalating public housing prices can be attributed to the govt's loose policy of allowing foreigners own hdb flats. Many foreigners had bought and sold our hdb flats for quick profit in the past and our govt had left that unchecked for donkey years until prices had escalated to a high before the cooling measures kicked in. How can the govt not know what had been going on? Did they deliberately allow that to happen coz higher valuations will benefit their future pricing of btos? The govt is obviously taking Singaporeans for fools.    

Should we introduce bumiputera policy?

Supercharged

After seeing the change of government in Malaysia after 60 years, obviously many people have talked about could it happen in Singapore?

And the way some of the younger leaders talk and handle issues leave me feeling disappointed with the situation. Josephine Teo comes across very arrogant, Ng chee meng too. Now Ong ye kung says teachers must have self discipline and pay parking...

Singapore is being run as a business, with annual price increases to maximise profits everywhere. And i disagree with it

Anyway this topic is not to bash the government, there are enough threads on this.

What i hope to see is your views on what will happen if there was a change in government in the next 1-2 elections.

How will it affect Singapore. Will we fail as a country? Will our women become maids in other countries as LKY once claimed?

Give your analysis of what you think will happen if the PAP is no longer the government.

Ideally put the worse case scenario of how bad things will be. Can we survive it?

Or do you think that it won't mean the end of Singapore as the PAP likes to claim

Just spend some time to read this 7 pages. 

Only thing that come into my mind is that the title is not really that appropriate. 

Its not whether Singapore to Fail without PAP but ...............................

Singapore is failing with PAP for past few years. 

Seems to me after LKY is gone, they lost their directions and things are going downhill. 

• Praise 1

Supercharged
(edited)

Too lazy to ready all 6 pages. My opinion and I had been told too many times.NO ONE IS INDISPENSABLE.

If PAP goes, there might be chaos and hardships and uncertainties at first, but, we will find our way to adapt and survive.

My personal thought - running Singapore like a business is not wrong but they got to find the balance between growth and commpanssion for the citizens. At present, its all about growth and gdp. The disconnect with the people has been ignored. Listening to grassroots is equal to hearing shit. 3 big issues they got. Cpf, Hdb and, transparency on our reserve.

Whilst the highlighted is undoubtedly true, except for maybe LKY, to dispense with something you have to have something at least equally good to replace it.

I see nothing from the WP that comes anywhere near what the current G is doing even though I'm not a big fan of the current G.

For me it's not good enough to say, 'so and so has been in power long enough, let's give an alternative a try.

The alternative has to show it is up to the task and I repeat nothing I've seen from alternatives  show they are up to the task.

Edited by Neutrino

Hypersonic

Let's talk and focus more on the road condition issues, traffic flow problem, Taxes, COE, ERP all relating to the transportation. Let's be fair to them and measure it by the 1st world standard.

We are paying more more more than 1st world standard
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic

Whilst the highlighted is undoubtedly true, except for maybe LKY, to dispense with something you have to have something at least equally good to replace it.

I see nothing from the WP that comes anywhere near what the current G is doing even though I'm not a big fan of the current G.

For me it's not good enough to say, 'so and so has been in power long enough, let's give an alternative a try.

The alternative has to show it is up to the task and I repeat nothing I've seen from alternatives show they are up to the task.

Mentioning lky is likened to a political chip ....... not GE time now leh. It has no relevancy to 'indispensable' for a historical (RIP) leader. I think it is rude to even make comparisons too.

Was there an even platform for other political parties since 50+ year ago? I think a healthy political scene would have space for sincere political parties to develop. More cons than pros with one (same) voice.

• Praise 1

Should we introduce bumiputera policy?

The bumi policy is an extremist policy, we do not need to go down that line. Are u an extremist?

The alternative has to show it is up to the task and I repeat nothing I've seen from alternatives  show they are up to the task.

When you mention "I see nothing from WP that comes anywhere near what the current govt is doing", your statement is flawed. In the first place, WP has never been the govt, so how can they have a track record of governing? giving the alternative a try is not simply based on governing the country, it is because the current govt hasd failed the people in many sense now. No point resting on past laurels and talk about ah gong's days of building singapore, with the low criteria for becoming a minister  today, I am certain any one of those well qualified members of WP and SDP can take over as ministers. After all, if a colorectal surgeon who had spent most of his professional life looking into people's butt can becoming a minister in a few short years, is it impossible for any qualified professional who has no association with pap to take over? 

• Praise 7
  • Dislike 1

When you mention "I see nothing from WP that comes anywhere near what the current govt is doing", your statement is flawed. In the first place, WP has never been the govt, so how can they have a track record of governing? giving the alternative a try is not simply based on governing the country, it is because the current govt hasd failed the people in many sense now. No point resting on past laurels and talk about ah gong's days of building singapore, with the low criteria for becoming a minister today, I am certain any one of those well qualified members of WP and SDP can take over as ministers. After all, if a colorectal surgeon who had spent most of his professional life looking into people's butt can becoming a minister in a few short years, is it impossible for any qualified professional who has no association with pap to take over?

A mere paper general with dun know how many stars , with no experience in running a country, can be parachuted to a sure win grc, then parachuted to be a minister. This is a flawed system. I am sure wp has people of calibre to become a minister.
  • Praise 2
  • Dislike 1

The bumi policy is an extremist policy, we do not need to go down that line. Are u an extremist?

Nah just the way u suggested sounds like extremist to me too lol
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1