Is it all right to test drive cars if you are not buying?

Philipkee

I got so many dislike for my comments.

But I am probably hurting many people with words they didn't want to listen because it may make them guilty.

What do you need to feel from a brand new car ?

Everything is sure good.

Suspension sure quiet and firm.

If you are looking at family cars, nowadays there are no more soft comfy squishy plushy suspensions. All are firm.

Seat are all adjustable to your fat or thin tall or short body.

If you didn't feel like the car is made well for your butt, the only reason is you haven't took the time to properly adjust the seats. You'd probably realize after you bought any car, you've been adjusting the seats so many times over the week to get that perfect driving posture.

The brake sure is jiak.

No brakes are lousy.

Simply by looking at the fact sheet or specification it tells you the stopping distance & time.

Even without reading the spec, and you claim the brakes "cannot eat", that's because you haven't driven the car long enough to make your motor skills learn the pressure on your foot.

No power ?

Yeah.. look at the spec, carry the engine, how heavy, no just joking.

But seriously, how much power do you want from a 1.6 litre N.A. Mostly fall into the range of 120 hp.

Even family cars with hybrid engine and turbo, the power stated in the papers already tells you alot about the car.

CHeck boot size ?

That is the most silliest thing you ever want to negotiate with the dealer.

Nobody really bothers about boot size .

Being a pain in the axx, you look for a hatch and kept complaining about boot size ? 

Dealers had seen more ridiculous buyers than you've seen the number of sales person.

They probably will be laughing at you among his colleagues the moment you step out of the show room

The only type of car you want to test is..

Pre-owned Car.

Period.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I got so many dislike for my comments.

But I am probably hurting many people with words they didn't want to listen because it may make them guilty.

What do you need to feel from a brand new car ?

Everything is sure good.

Suspension sure quiet and firm.

If you are looking at family cars, nowadays there are no more soft comfy squishy plushy suspensions. All are firm.

Seat are all adjustable to your fat or thin tall or short body.

If you didn't feel like the car is made well for your butt, the only reason is you haven't took the time to properly adjust the seats. You'd probably realize after you bought any car, you've been adjusting the seats so many times over the week to get that perfect driving posture.

The brake sure is jiak.

No brakes are lousy.

Simply by looking at the fact sheet or specification it tells you the stopping distance & time.

Even without reading the spec, and you claim the brakes "cannot eat", that's because you haven't driven the car long enough to make your motor skills learn the pressure on your foot.

No power ?

Yeah.. look at the spec, carry the engine, how heavy, no just joking.

But seriously, how much power do you want from a 1.6 litre N.A. Mostly fall into the range of 120 hp.

Even family cars with hybrid engine and turbo, the power stated in the papers already tells you alot about the car.

CHeck boot size ?

That is the most silliest thing you ever want to negotiate with the dealer.

Nobody really bothers about boot size .

Being a pain in the axx, you look for a hatch and kept complaining about boot size ?

Dealers had seen more ridiculous buyers than you've seen the number of sales person.

They probably will be laughing at you among his colleagues the moment you step out of the show room

The only type of car you want to test is..

Pre-owned Car.

Period.

Still got cars with soft suspension. Like the Sonata, Axio, Freed and Harrier.

I for one cant fit into every car no matter how i adjust the seat. Most 2 seater cars are out. My head was sticking out of the roof of the MX5 to seat comfortably. But then the top edge of the windscreen blocking my view. I hate dealers who stick those thick top border windscreen visor as it blocks my view.

Boot size is always the first thing i look at. If it ain't fit, i'll move on to another car model. I use my boot every weekend. My colleagues hardly even open their boot for the whole week but not me.

Not every car buyer is the same. Each of us has our needs and wants.

• Praise 8

in this day of youtube car review videos, u do get a pretty good idea of the car even without stepping into the showroom. [thumbsup]

youtube wan sui! [:p]

There are a few problems with youtube. 1st many are paid review thus don't listen too much to what they say. 2nd, many models they test are different from what we have in Singapore. Lower engine capacity and lesser specs. 3rd, see cannot feel, i am one of those thst must feel for myself. Haha

There are a few problems with youtube. 1st many are paid review thus don't listen too much to what they say. 2nd, many models they test are different from what we have in Singapore. Lower engine capacity and lesser specs. 3rd, see cannot feel, i am one of those thst must feel for myself. Haha

I think Lala81 is referring to those reputable reviews done overseas like in UK or Germany for example. After awhile you will learn to filter out the good channels which are very objective and detailed in their reviews, especially the practicality aspect that is same for the car all over the world regardless of engine capacity. Normally that is where I pay the most attention in any car reviews, not how powerful the engine is. Those are the channels that we are able to draw comparison on cars from.

Still got cars with soft suspension. Like the Sonata, Axio, Freed and Harrier.

I for one cant fit into every car no matter how i adjust the seat. Most 2 seater cars are out. My head was sticking out of the roof of the MX5 to seat comfortably. But then the top edge of the windscreen blocking my view. I hate dealers who stick those thick top border windscreen visor as it blocks my view.

Boot size is always the first thing i look at. If it ain't fit, i'll move on to another car model. I use my boot every weekend. My colleagues hardly even open their boot for the whole week but not me.

Not every car buyer is the same. Each of us has our needs and wants.

I brought a measuring tape when i was looking at the elantra. to see if my children's bicycles can fit inside.

I think Lala81 is referring to those reputable reviews done overseas like in UK or Germany for example. After awhile you will learn to filter out the good channels which are very objective and detailed in their reviews, especially the practicality aspect that is same for the car all over the world regardless of engine capacity. Normally that is where I pay the most attention in any car reviews, not how powerful the engine is. Those are the channels that we are able to draw comparison on cars from.

I don't even bother replying to the comment though i read it yesterday.

It's like saying more information is useless. yes sometimes it leads to decision paralysis. But this is just a consumer item we are buying, so I'm more for the fact of more information, the better.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

I watch a lot of the youtube car reviews also. Especially for cars that are more performance based. No point looking at reviews for B&B cars.

For the same model I will usually binge watch a few different review channels  and try to find similarities  or dissimilarities in the comments. Over time, as I get to personally test drive some of the models I have watched the reviews, I can more or less know which reviewer/channel is more unbiased or aligned to my taste in vehicles.

Having watched some reviews of the cars you are interested in prior to test driving it can help zero in on some of the points made by the reviewer to ascertain for yourself.

For example, I watched the last generation BMW X3 reviews before heading down to the showroom to testdrive. All the reviews are heaping praises on the X3 but their units are mainly diesel models or higher powered ones. When I test drove the X3 20i, yes, I can appreciate the firm ride with sedan like handling, but the underpowered 2.0L petrol engine makes it feel underwhelming. The interior fit and finish is good albeit minimalistic and  when you sit inside, there is a lack of sense of occasion that you cannot get from youtube reviews.

Of course. but i don't want to buy premium cars. but at least i know what are in these premium cars, and what "premium" features do filter down to the more modest cars I'm getting.

In the last 10 years, i've only stepped into showrooms for 2 periods when I'm buying cars. But at least, i know what the market trend is, what products are really worth the while  [thumbsup]

I can watch youtube reviews of 10 cars, but only in the end, test drive 2 kinda logic.

• Praise 1

I watch a lot of the youtube car reviews also. Especially for cars that are more performance based. No point looking at reviews for B&B cars.

For the same model I will usually binge watch a few different review channels  and try to find similarities  or dissimilarities in the comments. Over time, as I get to personally test drive some of the models I have watched the reviews, I can more or less know which reviewer/channel is more unbiased or aligned to my taste in vehicles.

Having watched some reviews of the cars you are interested in prior to test driving it can help zero in on some of the points made by the reviewer to ascertain for yourself.

For example, I watched the last generation BMW X3 reviews before heading down to the showroom to testdrive. All the reviews are heaping praises on the X3 but their units are mainly diesel models or higher powered ones. When I test drove the X3 20i, yes, I can appreciate the firm ride with sedan like handling, but the underpowered 2.0L petrol engine makes it feel underwhelming. The interior fit and finish is good albeit minimalistic and  when you sit inside, there is a lack of sense of occasion that you cannot get from youtube reviews.

I watch reviews, but nowadays seldom watch the supercar ones (cos' I won't ever own one) or those models that won't come to SG.

Redline reviews for those in USA, carwow for those in europe. I watch the aussie ones as well, they have quite good comparison ones.

Yeah sometimes, can't portray the actual car. I was very gian on the mz6 when i watched all the reviews, but realised the interior space is lacking. I'm also not a kinda guy that likes being cocooned, so not really my cuppa tea.

I've driven over 89 cars so far. But if Imma gonna drop a 100grand, u damn be sure imma gonna test drive it. Those don't test are high ses ppl accidentally buy farked up car also no scared.

I've driven over 89 cars so far. But if Imma gonna drop a 100grand, u damn be sure imma gonna test drive it. Those don't test are high ses ppl accidentally buy farked up car also no scared.

So called high SES can also kpkb about helicopter sound to court and give judge free test drive and later kena suan and malu by judgement.:D

People who buy any car model they are not already intimately familiar with without a test drive have more dollars than sense, in my opinion.

Edited by Turboflat4

Actually before I step into the showroom to view the shortlisted car, I would have already known the car inside out liao, from Youtube.

On top of that, sgcarmart gives you the other financial / trim level info you'd need.

So unless I'm really gonna buy or change car (you'd know this yourself), I won't test drive for fun or waste the SE time. It may be no cost to you but the SE will have opportunity cost lor.

• Praise 2

Actually before I step into the showroom to view the shortlisted car, I would have already known the car inside out liao, from Youtube.

On top of that, sgcarmart gives you the other financial / trim level info you'd need.

So unless I'm really gonna buy or change car (you'd know this yourself), I won't test drive for fun or waste the SE time. It may be no cost to you but the SE will have opportunity cost lor.

ya same as u .

normally i test drive when i am at the last stage of deciding to buy it.

if not , not only waste other ppl time, waste our own time also right.

who eat finish so free go test drive for fun meh???

ya same as u .

normally i test drive when i am at the last stage of deciding to buy it.

if not , not only waste other ppl time, waste our own time also right.

who eat finish so free go test drive for fun meh???

Some people view car at the showroom is the first step of the buying process. For us it's like the last step liao  :grin:

If my shortlist got 3 cars, unlikely I will even test drive all of them. Usually the choice is quite clear one.

of course it's alright

not only test drive, must also

1. eat free food

2. drink free kopi

3. take free goodie bags

4. participate or get kids to participate in various activities organized

5. put kids into playroom for free childcare and computer games

6. bring back some souvenir pictures

:D

of course it's alright

not only test drive, must also

1. eat free food

2. drink free kopi

3. take free goodie bags

4. participate or get kids to participate in various activities organized

5. put kids into playroom for free childcare and computer games

6. bring back some souvenir pictures

:D

No wonder cars cost so high.

So called high SES can also kpkb about helicopter sound to court and give judge free test drive and later kena suan and malu by judgement. :D

People who buy any car model they are not already intimately familiar with without a test drive have more dollars than sense, in my opinion.

Wah Bro , dun like that say lei ... 

Some cars when we have to order , there is no test drive units lei .... By the time the test cars are here , wants to order , the waiting time always minimum 1 year liao . 

Wah Bro , dun like that say lei ...

Some cars when we have to order , there is no test drive units lei .... By the time the test cars are here , wants to order , the waiting time always minimum 1 year liao .

Haha didn't mean your kind of super special cars bro. That type in super atas category. Pai seh. :D

Haha didn't mean your kind of super special cars bro. That type in super atas category. Pai seh. :D

Yo man , how's the GT treating you ? Hope that Joe is still closing one eye for you ... 

↡ Advertisement