Fibre broadband

Discoburg

Yeah over-future proofed when I first renovated my place 7 -8yrs ago. Bought a whole reel of Belden Cat 6 cable, plugs, sleeves and terminating tool, legrand cat 6 wall sockets, 24 port cat 6 patch panels.

Just asked the electrician to lay the cables as they lay the eletrical wires. Did my own terminating, patching and setup.

Whatever material that were left after the renovation, I just used them to make customed length cat 6 cables for use around the house, especially the patch panel to switch and switch to router.

You pte Datacenter ?  :D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

I do not think there is any issue of using the same trunking. The only issue I foresee is that if the trunking had been painted before to have the same color as the wall or ceiling, during installation of the network cable, the paint might peel off from the trunking to install the network cable inside the trunking.

Cat 6 is preferred as you can also use it in future for POE devices. Advise is to install 2 network outlet in your area in case of wear and tear down the road, you still have a backup network outlet.

any technical people can advice on cable trunking issue?

currently i have a trunking laying cable to my room, if i change to fiber they need to lay data cable, can i use back the same trunking? meaning take out the old cable and put in the new data cable?

• Praise 3

I do not think there is any issue of using the same trunking. The only issue I foresee is that if the trunking had been painted before to have the same color as the wall or ceiling, during installation of the network cable, the paint might peel off from the trunking to install the network cable inside the trunking.

Cat 6 is preferred as you can also use it in future for POE devices. Advise is to install 2 network outlet in your area in case of wear and tear down the road, you still have a backup network outlet.

Good advice, thanks.

Will ask them to install 2 lines if they are able to pull out the old cable.

Supercharged

Depends on what service you intend to use.

VPN is required for geo restrict content.

For HK, Korean and Jap, can always use icdrama.se to watch.

i used ipad and mirror to Apple TV. From Apple TV is output to TV.

Thanks.

Any reason why if one can subscribe to a VPN and get most of the access to the stuff we wanna watch such as EPL, world cup, tvb and other channels etc......

How come still got so many people pay starhub and singtel for miotv etc after the contract is up?

• Praise 1

Thanks.

Any reason why if one can subscribe to a VPN and get most of the access to the stuff we wanna watch such as EPL, world cup, tvb and other channels etc......

How come still got so many people pay starhub and singtel for miotv etc after the contract is up?

VPN is required for geo restriction contract.

I don't know why ppl still subscribe to Starhub or Mio.

I have none of it.

VPN although can overcome geo restriction, do note that not many VPN are consistently able to support the geo restriction content. For example, content provider might start blocking the VPN provider, or the VPN provider do not enough capacity to support subscriber.

Most people still subscribe to Starhub and Singtel is because of the ease of access to content. Having said that, as more people start using VPN, TV box, netflix app and other online content, it only a matter of time before paid TV content become more affordable or in the worse case paid TV become non viable.

Thanks.

Actually, cost of Internet and mobile are very costly. We don't feel it as we are just paying 'monthly"

A $130 monthly Internet and TV is $1,560 a year!

You downgrade all services, save a little here and there and you could be saving thousand of dollar a year.

I cancelled my 2nd line with SH recently and saved about 1k.

Just a food for thought.

• Praise 2

Actually, cost of Internet and mobile are very costly. We don't feel it as we are just paying 'monthly"

You downgrade all services, save a little here and there and you could be saving thousand of dollar a year.

Just a food for thought.

dun drive car can save $15K per year at least   [laugh]

• Praise 3

Just a food for thought.

I cancelled starhub TV long long time ago.

Nowadays I pay $10/mth for latest US drama and movie

Yeah over-future proofed when I first renovated my place 7 -8yrs ago. Bought a whole reel of Belden Cat 6 cable, plugs, sleeves and terminating tool, legrand cat 6 wall sockets, 24 port cat 6 patch panels.

Just asked the electrician to lay the cables as they lay the eletrical wires. Did my own terminating, patching and setup.

Whatever material that were left after the renovation, I just used them to make customed length cat 6 cables for use around the house, especially the patch panel to switch and switch to router.

overkill lol.

Yeah LOL...especially 7 yrs ago.....but future proved quote effectively despite my changing needs over the years. On hindsight, I think the investment is well covered after 7yrs.

I don't have to deal with wifi coverage issues in my place and yet stream and game with full landline speed. :D

overkill lol.

Supercharged

any technical people can advice on cable trunking issue?

currently i have a trunking laying cable to my room, if i change to fiber they need to lay data cable, can i use back the same trunking? meaning take out the old cable and put in the new data cable?

I don't have fibre.

Starhub cable is fine for my needs.

But I use Home plugs for room to room coverage.

Simple to set up and no problems.

Can't you use them with fibre???

If I ever upgrade to fibre, which will only be if Starhub discontinues cable BB. then I'd use Home plugs for room to room coverage.

Thanks.

It's the ease of use.

And that's why Netflix has been able to survive and grow.

Even if u use VPN. Like some vpns cant guarantee u can even watch bbc iplayer. U may have to reconnect several times or use different servers to get an unblocked access. Some more popular VPNs cant even watch georestricted content.

Frankly, I'm past the bother. I was seriously considering getting a VPN to watch World Cup (a once in 4 year itch).

But now i just can't be bothered.  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Cable modem/broadband is derived from cable tv networks.

Infrastructure is based on it. So there's not much additional cost.

Technology use RF and QAM. They tried to stuff more and combined RF, but it hit the limit at 100Mbps.

That was my previous work before I left.

Fibre is pure fibre transmission, most of the way from headend to distribution nodes, to your house (the last mile).

Speed can easily hit 10Gbps now, possibly 100Gbps and more in future.

But they need new infrastructure, complete new fibre networks and transmission.

So cable broadband is on the way out. It hit technological limits.

Cable does have it's potential, but too bad Starhub stopped at DOCSIS 2 standard if I'm not wrong.

The latest DOCSIS 3.1 Full Duplex standard can hit 10Gbps both directions.

It's whether SH wants to invest further on cable.

I don't have fibre.

Starhub cable is fine for my needs.

But I use Home plugs for room to room coverage.

Simple to set up and no problems.

Can't you use them with fibre???

If I ever upgrade to fibre, which will only be if Starhub discontinues cable BB. then I'd use Home plugs for room to room coverage.

When you refer to Home plugs, I assume you have not wired up your home with LAN cables.

The Starhub coax cables within your home can be put into good use, even if you still have active services running on it.

Instead of using Home plugs, you can also use coax/MoCA network adapters to tap onto the cables to set up your home's internal LAN infrastructure. Works on the same concept as Home plugs, but instead of using powerline, you're using the coax cables.

There are a few versions to it with different throughput and $$$.

↡ Advertisement