Fibre broadband

Discoburg

Hypersonic

https://torrentfreak.com/singapore-isps-block-53-pirate-sites-following-mpaa-legal-action-180521/

53 sites are blocked by local ISP.

So if using a IPTV box, you might be wondering why some are not working.

VPN will mostly circumvent this.

The torrent site block don't need to use vpn. Just change some setting in the router can liao.

But geographical restrictions streaming will still need VPN.

↡ Advertisement

The higher speed cat 6 onwards are thicker cable, due to better noise isolation, reduced crosstalk, etc.

So you can't get "cheap and good".

The best way to reduce space cluttering wires in a trunking is change them to fibre as much as possible.

That may mean a re-planning on where to locate which devices.

For short distance, can use CAT5E cables.

For some of my connections, I'm using Cat5E on a 1G switch. No difference in speed.

In fact, for home users, usually you can't even tell the difference in speeds.

Other than cables, there are also other factors to consider. The LAN <--> WAN throughput in the router is the main bottleneck.

If it's internal traffic, have to see the switch's throughput, how well it can manage multiple users transmitting at the same time.

For transfer to NAS, the harddisk rpm is the bottleneck.

• Praise 1

Supercharged
(edited)

When you refer to Home plugs, I assume you have not wired up your home with LAN cables.

The Starhub coax cables within your home can be put into good use, even if you still have active services running on it.

Instead of using Home plugs, you can also use coax/MoCA network adapters to tap onto the cables to set up your home's internal LAN infrastructure. Works on the same concept as Home plugs, but instead of using powerline, you're using the coax cables.

There are a few versions to it with different throughput and $$$.

I went downstairs to Challenger bought the home plug set up and installed the plugs.

Working.

Took approx 15 minutes.

Simple as. Why go a different route.

I'm not a techie and some of the stuff I read above just goes whoosh.

Home plugs couldn't be easier.

Edited by Neutrino

I went downstairs to Challenger bought the home plug set up and installed the plugs.

Working.

Took approx 15 minutes.

Because Laying cables is more satki :grin:

I also prefer laying cables

I don't have fibre.

Starhub cable is fine for my needs.

But I use Home plugs for room to room coverage.

Simple to set up and no problems.

Can't you use them with fibre???

If I ever upgrade to fibre, which will only be if Starhub discontinues cable BB. then I'd use Home plugs for room to room coverage.

Home plug for fiber is quite unstable, i asked starhub but they say cannot be done. I didn't listen to them and bought a set to connect from modem to bedroom, true enough it didn't work, or rather very inconsistent and frustrating. 

It's the ease of use.

And that's why Netflix has been able to survive and grow.

Even if u use VPN. Like some vpns cant guarantee u can even watch bbc iplayer. U may have to reconnect several times or use different servers to get an unblocked access. Some more popular VPNs cant even watch georestricted content.

Frankly, I'm past the bother. I was seriously considering getting a VPN to watch World Cup (a once in 4 year itch).

But now i just can't be bothered. [laugh]

I am going for try even though I am not interested in foodball :grin:

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/www.techradar.com/amp/news/how-to-watch-russia-2018-world-cup-opening-ceremony-live-stream-online-free

Working.

Took approx 15 minutes.

After I re contract with SH, got free router.

More than enough to cover entire home

After re-contract, monthly rates reduced by $20 but speed increased by 700mbps.

Working.

Took approx 15 minutes.

For me, I've my house wired up.

For power line adapters, I still have my doubts on using electrical cables for data transmission. More on the safety and security of the homeplug devices.

During data transmission, either plugging a filter or termination cap (if not using Starhub services) on the incoming source, you are more or less assured that there is no data leakage. No encryption or configurations required. More or less becomes your own LAN setup. The filter will block off the frequency used by the LAN from straying out of your house to SH or your neighbor's network (assuming they have similar setup).

For powerline, the electrical cables are all inter-connected out and that's a security concern. Not sure how well the encryption is written, the password can be brute force out, unless there's a 3 strikes and you're locked out when pairing multiple homeplugs. Similiar to wireless where the network can be scanned.

Where cyber attacks are common in this day, I rather choose security over convenience.

Anyway, using coax cables is just an option for those who wants to extend their ethernet connections throughout their home but didn't plan for it during their reno.

I have cat5e, MoCa 2.0 and Homeplugs AV2, fastest to slowest in that order. 

Usage wise,  can't really feel any real significant difference. 

Supersonic

Cable does have it's potential, but too bad Starhub stopped at DOCSIS 2 standard if I'm not wrong.

The latest DOCSIS 3.1 Full Duplex standard can hit 10Gbps both directions.

It's whether SH wants to invest further on cable.

SH was DOCSIS 3.0, with channel bonding 100MHz downstream.

I worked on that for a few years before I left.

Now they may changed, or maybe left to die, I dunno.

Turbocharged

Were you based in Ayer rajah last time?

Likely left to die since they'll end cable service in 2020.

Supersonic

Were you based in Ayer rajah last time?

I worked with Motorola, that system was used by SH. At that time, it was Ayer Rajah Crescent. Now, it's all gone to dunno where. [:p]

Supercharged

For me, I've my house wired up.

For power line adapters, I still have my doubts on using electrical cables for data transmission. More on the safety and security of the homeplug devices.

During data transmission, either plugging a filter or termination cap (if not using Starhub services) on the incoming source, you are more or less assured that there is no data leakage. No encryption or configurations required. More or less becomes your own LAN setup. The filter will block off the frequency used by the LAN from straying out of your house to SH or your neighbor's network (assuming they have similar setup).

For powerline, the electrical cables are all inter-connected out and that's a security concern. Not sure how well the encryption is written, the password can be brute force out, unless there's a 3 strikes and you're locked out when pairing multiple homeplugs. Similiar to wireless where the network can be scanned.

Where cyber attacks are common in this day, I rather choose security over convenience.

Anyway, using coax cables is just an option for those who wants to extend their ethernet connections throughout their home but didn't plan for it during their reno.

Interesting and worth consideration.

But Shirley Home plugs would have got a bad name by now if security was a problem.

And as for the unstable problems with 1Gb speed and Home plugs.

I only have 100Mb connection which gives me an actual download speed of 80Mbps well above my requirements and I can use 3 or 4 devices at a time with no lagging but iirc when I was in Challenger there were a few alternatives for Homeplugs if you wanted to use them and fibre.

They all can't be duds????