Public Buses of Yesterday

SiLangKia

Supersonic

Just prawn noodles. 

A bit more ex than cai peng because I found a $2 note on the floor this morning. 

Posted in the food thread. 

Found a $2 note, thats why you can eat prawn noodles which is more expensive than cai peng?! Lol.

So much old school feels in that photo hahaha I'll try to catch a ride on one soon!

Volvo BM10 deployed on quite a few bus services permanently, so not difficult to catch one. 

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

Never know this type of gear is semi auto? What is the purpose of that knob on the left of the gear box?

This is Semi Auto Gearbox on Leyland Buses,the Knob on the left is to prevent Drivers select  Reverse Gear,while downshifting...

Edited by ER-3682

Supersonic

This is Semi Auto Gearbox on Leyland Buses,the Knob on the left is to prevent Drivers select  Reverse Gear,while downshifting...

Interesting gearbox during that era.

Wonder why it's called semi auto, is it cos no clutch? 

Anw, here's an acceleration clip of the Mercedes Benz O405 with the ZF auto , quite fast for its time, and with a melodic ZF 'kickdown' , miss hearing these noises on my bus journeys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeNQ2RKi0Pg

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

Wonder why it's called semi auto, is it cos no clutch? 

Anw, here's an acceleration clip of the Mercedes Benz O405 with the ZF auto , quite fast for its time, and with a melodic ZF 'kickdown' , miss hearing these noises on my bus journeys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeNQ2RKi0Pg

Yes,no Clutch.....just like current Auto "Tiptronic",except it used the gate shift,instead of +/-.

Interesting gearbox during that era.

British made alot of nice Products [thumbsup] ,except their Companies all got poor Management [thumbsdown] ,all wound up or sell to other Countries. [bigcry]

Edited by ER-3682

Lakeview, opposite Thomson CC, along Upper Thomson road. This where i first tasted bird nest drink at the hawker centre, way back in the mid 1980's.

That is the place where the people (esp. students) who go to Macritchie to run/canoe, will go to for drinks afterwards.

The rumour was that the ice kacang seller in the hawker centre there sold so much of it that he could drive a jaguar... dunno who spread one... [laugh]

Rmb the periscopes on the leyland and volvo olympians, used to rmb my sec sch friends, when they were sitting in front, putting things on the glass so the driver couldnt see up, and making a fool of themselves hahaa

Wah... yes, the periscope... Took me a while to be convinced that it really works - when i purposely sat near the driver one day and observed him looking at it now and then...

Later replaced by camera right?

That is the place where the people (esp. students) who go to Macritchie to run/canoe, will go to for drinks afterwards.

The rumour was that the ice kacang seller in the hawker centre there sold so much of it that he could drive a jaguar... dunno who spread one... [laugh]

Wah... yes, the periscope... Took me a while to be convinced that it really works - when i purposely sat near the driver one day and observed him looking at it now and then...

Later replaced by camera right?

Yes! replaced by a camera, much more reliable hhaha, the eriscope if the glass dirty cant see anything one, i've actually tried to see from the driver's pov before, once, asked an SBS driver to let me see at the interchange before alighting hahah

Supersonic
(edited)

Yes! replaced by a camera, much more reliable hhaha, the eriscope if the glass dirty cant see anything one, i've actually tried to see from the driver's pov before, once, asked an SBS driver to let me see at the interchange before alighting hahah

haha we always like to put our schoolbags onto the periscope screen at 2nd floor front... think kena scolded once by driver... Edited by kdash
  • Praise 1

haha we always like to put our schoolbags onto the periscope screen at 2nd floor front... think kena scolded once by driver...

Yeah my friends liked to do the same too! Didn't get scolded but got glares from the driver when we alighted hahaha

Supersonic

Yeah my friends liked to do the same too! Didn't get scolded but got glares from the driver when we alighted hahaha

My friend once place his face almost on the screen.

Kena ooi-ed by the bus driver.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

@SiLangkia

post-180434-0-51344800-1529588226.jpg

Leyland Olympians.

One of the last non air con double deckers bought by SBS from 1986 to 1988.

A promotional shot on service 33. @13177 wished this is real.  [laugh]

post-180434-0-92997100-1529588228.jpg

Most of them run on services on the western area, like Boon Lay and Jurong East in their later years of services.

post-180434-0-18095700-1529588232.jpg

post-180434-0-01751700-1529588234.jpg

post-180434-0-52916300-1529588236_thumb.jpg

post-180434-0-07103300-1529588210_thumb.jpg

Some were based on Braddell depot at the times before they were finally de-registered in the early 2000s.

post-180434-0-95483700-1529588238_thumb.jpg

Leyland Leopard PSU5C/2R demo bus bodied by Alexander, brought by SBS in 1978.

Initially was to evaluate its feasibility for SBS next fleet purchases. 

Didn't last very long in Singapore as it was exported in 1979. 

In the end, SBS did not buy any Leyland Leopards.

post-180434-0-68008600-1529588216_thumb.jpg

post-180434-0-26222900-1529588219_thumb.jpg

post-180434-0-59979400-1529588222.jpg

Looks like the Volvo B57s.

Was registered as SBS6791L

Edited by DACH
  • Praise 2

@SiLangkia

attachicon.gifLeyland Olympian 1.jpg

Leyland Olympians.

One of the last non air con double deckers bought by SBS from 1986 to 1988.

attachicon.gifLeyland Olympian 2.jpg

Most of them run on services on the western area, like Boon Lay and Jurong East in their later years of services.

attachicon.gifLeyland Olympian 3.jpg

attachicon.gifLeyland Olympian 4.jpg

attachicon.gifLeyland Olympian 5.jpg

attachicon.gifLeyland Olympian 17.jpg

Some were based on Braddell depot at the times before they were finally de-registered in the early 2000s.

attachicon.gifLeyland Olympian 16.jpg

Leyland Leopard PSU5C/2R demo bus bodied by Alexander, brought by SBS in 1978.

Initially was to evaluate its feasibility for SBS next fleet purchases. 

Didn't last very long in Singapore as it was exported in 1979. 

In the end, SBS did not buy any Leyland Leopards.

attachicon.gifLeyland Leopard 2.jpg

attachicon.gifLeyland Leopard 3.jpg

attachicon.gifLeyland Leopard.jpg

Looks like the Volvo B57s.

Was registered as SBS6791L

I wanted to post on the leopard demo before but I couldn't find a nice enough photo hahaha only a small grainy one, interesting bus with an interesting sbs logo

Supersonic

I wanted to post on the leopard demo before but I couldn't find a nice enough photo hahaha only a small grainy one, interesting bus with an interesting sbs logo

That logo was SBS in its early years, from 1973 to 1983.

That logo was SBS in its early years, from 1973 to 1983.

Yeah i rmb reading, quite nice to see it cos by the 80s it wasn't that commonly seen alr.

Anw, I rmb riding on these Leyland Olympians (non aircon) as a kid last time, miss those buses, still felt pretty sturdy even though they were almost at the end of their lifespan when I took them

• Praise 1

Supersonic

attachicon.gifLeyland Olympian 2.jpg

attachicon.gifLeyland Olympian 16.jpg

What is the single decker bus model behind the leyland double decker ah?

Service 33 double decker? Even there is, think SBS also deployed like 1-2 only la, just like on same bus services which they deployed 1 or 2 double decker running throughout the day, i also dont know what is the reason? Lol.

Yeah i rmb reading, quite nice to see it cos by the 80s it wasn't that commonly seen alr.

Anw, I rmb riding on these Leyland Olympians (non aircon) as a kid last time, miss those buses, still felt pretty sturdy even though they were almost at the end of their lifespan when I took them

Actually many double decker buses even almost the end of their lifespan, the bus condition still quite ok de.

Actually many double decker buses even almost the end of their lifespan, the bus condition still quite ok de.

I dont agree leh. I remembered when I was in Tuas and after waiting for 30mins, this double decker, bus number 257 arrived. It was a sunday, so frequency was 30mins. The damn bus broke down later!!! Had to wait for another 30mins for the next bus to arrive. [:|]  Ya, it was the old Leyland.

The bus tow truck came faster than the next bus!!! After the bus was towed away, the bus driver stayed with us at the bus stop and took the next bus back to Boon Lay interchange with us. [:|]

↡ Advertisement