Public Buses of Yesterday

SiLangKia

Supersonic

After researching, I'm quite fond of the B57s also hahaha :XD:

They were all phased out by the mid 1990s. I think you are still quite young then to know their existence.

They were pretty unique buses then, among the fleets of Mercedes-Benz, Leylands and Albion Vikings. Very unique engine sounds.

↡ Advertisement

Who else remembers STC front engined bus with the air cleaner sticking out in the open beside the driver compartment? Those buses had no doors.  Damm, I must be old to remember these buses.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Who else remembers STC front engined bus with the air cleaner sticking out in the open beside the driver compartment? Those buses had no doors. Damm, I must be old to remember these buses.

Guy Victory?

Dennis Teal?

They were all phased out by the mid 1990s. I think you are still quite young then to know their existence.

They were pretty unique buses then, among the fleets of Mercedes-Benz, Leylands and Albion Vikings. Very unique engine sounds.

If i'm not wrong the last ones were scrapped in 1996, though some had second lives overseas! Yeah was too young then, a pity I couldn't rmb.

Hmm unique engine sounds? actually on youtube there are old videos of singapore street scenes in the 80s and some of them capture the bus sounds!

Anw, here are some sbs B57s found overseas (first few pics were from Ireland) : 

28604982241_d4af04c1dc_b.jpg

source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/28604982241/lightbox/

27033727839_514ccb4bb5_b.jpg

source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/27033727839

10490235326_4536e6fd75_b.jpg

8398251414_bea618869c_b.jpg

11740904526_ccab8cc39c_b.jpg

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

You guys got play hide and seek with the bus inspector or not. Realise your ticket may not cover the distance, pretend to alighting at the next stop..

• Praise 1

Who else remembers STC front engined bus with the air cleaner sticking out in the open beside the driver compartment? Those buses had no doors.  Damm, I must be old to remember these buses.

Bus+STC.jpg

roadside-bus-terminal-1968.jpg

• Praise 1

Supersonic

well thats how we learnt to inch taller and taller slowly by slowly, but my time never had issuesof missing bus stops but back then the drivers sometimes drive so fast that they forget to stop.... but back then the conductor will make some noises and the bus will stop on the road and drop you off .... those were the days can stop anywhere...... but got once or twice especially the bus just full skip the bus stop as those days got like @Angcheek type of hero hero ,one leg on the steps and other one leg dangling out of the door [:p] .... those days the bus have doors but not automated , can really squeeze in until some people are holding on to the handle and still running and somehow people push push and they get in

I used to take 152 , can remember if it was from Bartley (Toa Payoh )vicinity to East Coast Road

Before 152 was withdrawn in the 2000s, it plies between Bedok and Toa Payoh interchanges.

Supersonic

If i'm not wrong the last ones were scrapped in 1996, though some had second lives overseas! Yeah was too young then, a pity I couldn't rmb.

Hmm unique engine sounds? actually on youtube there are old videos of singapore street scenes in the 80s and some of them capture the bus sounds!

How come last time many of our buses here would export to other countries to continue ferry passengers de? Think nowadays our buses will send to scrapyard after they have phase out using here?!

Supersonic

source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/28604982241/lightbox/

source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/27033727839

The last I rode on was months before the first batch are phased out, on Tampines feeder services.

Interior finishings was using wood patterned finishing, not the usual plastics you see in today's buses.

Such designs also found in the Hawke bodied Mercedes-Benz OF1417s.

Maybe that's the design feature of New Zealand bus builders.

How come last time many of our buses here would export to other countries to continue ferry passengers de? Think nowadays our buses will send to scrapyard after they have phase out using here?!

Because last time the statutory lifespans of public buses were only 12 years. Some of the buses were still road worthy and well maintained. Wasteful to scrap so export.

Nowadays buses can be used up to 20 years. After about 20 years spare parts are hard to find in order to attract buyers. Might as well scrap.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Because last time the statutory lifespans of public buses were only 12 years. Some of the buses were still road worthy and well maintained. Wasteful to scrap so export.

Nowadays buses can be used up to 20 years. After about 20 years spare parts are hard to find in order to attract buyers. Might as well scrap.

Didnt know the lifespan of buses were 12 years last time. So what makes them to change to 20 years of usage?

Think some of them still are exported! If you wanna see buses being scrapped, can go to Kiat Lee at Kranji road, they do alot of scrapping for SBS and SMRT, it's just beside the SMRT bus depot. There are videos on YouTube of these buses being scrapped, quite sad to watch.

http://kiatleegroup.com/mb-bus/

here's a link to an SMRT O405 that was sold by them, probably exported for parts or as a whole to be re-used overseas

The last I rode on was months before the first batch are phased out, on Tampines feeder services.

Interior finishings was using wood patterned finishing, not the usual plastics you see in today's buses.

Such designs also found in the Hawke bodied Mercedes-Benz OF1417s.

Maybe that's the design feature of New Zealand bus builders.

Oh yes! I rmb seeing pics of the hawke bodied OF1417s but didn't post, yeah the New Zealanf Bus Builders are pretty different

post-156882-0-57365400-1528349401.jpg

source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/eastbtm/7427856808

This was an SBS OF1417, can't rmb which body this particular one was, but it was leased to Trans Island due to bus shortages

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

yes thats how I remembered when i saw the number 152 another one was 158 with similar route too 

Before 152 was withdrawn in the 2000s, it plies between Bedok and Toa Payoh interchanges.

• Praise 1

In the 90s, I enjoyed sitting in the TransIsland Nissan Diesel buses, felt they are smooth and refined. Next are the SBS Scania buses, which is refined in that same period of time too. The same cannot be said for the newer scania buses which gave me the impression of weak, and consistent drone...

Supersonic

In the 90s, I enjoyed sitting in the TransIsland Nissan Diesel buses, felt they are smooth and refined. Next are the SBS Scania buses, which is refined in that same period of time too. The same cannot be said for the newer scania buses which gave me the impression of weak, and consistent drone...

Last time Scania buses not bad but current Scania buses that SBS using totally cannot make it.

Think some of them still are exported! If you wanna see buses being scrapped, can go to Kiat Lee at Kranji road, they do alot of scrapping for SBS and SMRT, it's just beside the SMRT bus depot. There are videos on YouTube of these buses being scrapped, quite sad to watch.

Actually watching buses got scrapped not very sad la, since the lifespan buses used was at least 20 years, worth going into scrapyard liao. Lol. It is more sad to see cars being scrapped lo.

(edited)

Earlier years, those buses with sliding windows allow the wind in your face experience. On rainy days, that is another experience too. Boarded the bus and found those unoccupied seats are wet. And because no air-con, the interior of the buses became stuffy and windows all fogged up. Simple and joy of yester-years, I must say.

Edited by Heartbreakid
  • Praise 1

Wah... this one i took the most.

started taking buses on my own in sec sch (pri sch took sch bus).

And only one bus - 157 - to take from Toa Payoh to my sch...

and this bus is the most common. At the early hours, mostly is this bus, while double deckers also ply the route...

hahahah sucked to be young  :XD:

ok depend on how you read this ............... now we know why  @vid  looked so young .  :D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1