Public Buses of Yesterday

SiLangKia

You guys got play hide and seek with the bus inspector or not. Realise your ticket may not cover the distance, pretend to alighting at the next stop..

ha ha ha... got lah, that was after graduation when cannot buy bus stamp anymore...

every time one inspector boards the bus and is collecting some (dunno what) from the driver, sure got people stand up go to the door one [smash]

before that, with the bus stamp, just anyhow change bus also no problem.

↡ Advertisement

well thats how we learnt to inch taller and taller slowly by slowly, but my time never had issuesof missing bus stops but back then the drivers sometimes drive so fast that they forget to stop.... but back then the conductor will make some noises and the bus will stop on the road and drop you off .... those were the days can stop anywhere...... but got once or twice especially the bus just full skip the bus stop as those days got like @Angcheek type of hero hero ,one leg on the steps and other one leg dangling out of the door   [:p] .... those days the bus have doors but not automated , can really squeeze in until some people are holding on to the handle and still running and somehow people push push and they get in 

I used to work as bus conductor ...... until they came out with OMO ...... Inside bus too hot 

no aircon you know .... So I rather hang outside anyway during that time bus cant speed much 

hahaha 

After OMO , jobless ..... so I became valet .   :D

• Praise 3

In the 90s, I enjoyed sitting in the TransIsland Nissan Diesel buses, felt they are smooth and refined. Next are the SBS Scania buses, which is refined in that same period of time too. The same cannot be said for the newer scania buses which gave me the impression of weak, and consistent drone...

Fully agreed! Nissan diesel bus are smooth. But seldom got chance got take because TIBS always deployed their Hino HT (also not bad) buses on the route I frequently commute.

I hate taking TIBS scania, their engine really vibrate until like the whole unit going to jump out from the bus.

(edited)

ok depend on how you read this ............... now we know why  @vid  looked so young .  :D

is it all the Kim Jio he sucked hahahahha

In the 90s, I enjoyed sitting in the TransIsland Nissan Diesel buses, felt they are smooth and refined. Next are the SBS Scania buses, which is refined in that same period of time too. The same cannot be said for the newer scania buses which gave me the impression of weak, and consistent drone...

I definitely miss the Nissan buses the most ! The new Scania SBS buses, really quite cui, keep seeing them breakdown hahahah

Fully agreed! Nissan diesel bus are smooth. But seldom got chance got take because TIBS always deployed their Hino HT (also not bad) buses on the route I frequently commute.

I hate taking TIBS scania, their engine really vibrate until like the whole unit going to jump out from the bus.

Which TIBS Scania ? I remember the L113CRL , was a pretty nice ride 

15.Scania L113CRL (1995-2014)

846-187-300x200.jpg

With Bodywork by ELBO

L113CRL_tib566s_961.jpg

Bodywork by Walter Alexander

Scania-L113CRL-659H-842U-800x445.jpg

Both Bodyworks side by side

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Praise 2

(edited)

On the topic of Scanias, here's another!

16. SBS Scania N113CRB (1989-2009)

abt_memory_scanian113crb2.jpg

SBS31L was in service from 1989-2008, Bodywork by Alexander PS

Also, as mentioned earlier by @Toeknee_33 , the french bus!

17. Berliet PGK205 (1965-1989)

SBS4096Z was in service from 1965-1980 while 3 others (4624A , 4626U , 4675C) were in service from 1977-1989

1974-Berliet2.jpg

1974-Berliet1.jpg

More pics of Albion Vikings 

1975-SBS1061T.jpg

1975-SBS1072L.jpg

These two EVK41Ls were first registered in 1968/69 under the Hock Lee Bus Company, seen here after being taken over by SBS

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

On the topic of Scanias, here's another!

16. SBS Scania N113CRB (1989-2009)

abt_memory_scanian113crb2.jpg

SBS31L was in service from 1989-2008, Bodywork by Alexander PS

I remember this Scania bus is nice. Dont know why now Scania bus so bad? Lol.

(edited)

18. SBS Seddon Model 354, first registered in 1964-1965 under the Green Bus Company

1975-SBS3197Y.jpg

The last one was deregistered in 1980, SBS3197Y was among the 9 Seddon 354s registered under SBS 

19. Leyland Guy Victory (1978-1993)

1975-SBS6605S.jpg

This model had Bodywork by both Soon Chow and BACO, SBS6605S featured above was a Soon Chow example

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Praise 1

The Scanias during that era were horrible. Terrible jerking from any gear change regardless up or down shifting.

Nothing compared to the UD Nissan buses.

Agreed, the gear pickup was smooth and it doesnt really feel much jerking. Back then only TIBS got such buses, maybe thats why i prefer to take TIBS buses than SBS buses. Feel that their bus feel less jerkiness than SBS. 

Which TIBS Scania ? I remember the L113CRL , was a pretty nice ride 

ELBO version 1

The one I took is very first version without aircon, to me is taking Nissan or Hino is much better than this scania.

Photo07.jpg

Supersonic

Didnt know the lifespan of buses were 12 years last time. So what makes them to change to 20 years of usage?

The buses brought in the 1990s are better engineered and can last. Also there was a shift to air con bus fleets by the 1990s, so might as well stretch their working capacities and get back as much ROI as possible, since air con buses are more costly to buy and maintain.

If you observed for the past decade, those buses that are scrapped are all bought in the 1990s. Many of them are actually in good condition, strong air con, smooth engines and transmissions, thick cushion seats. Very pity that they are scrapped so early, even for 20 years. Applies to most of the SBS buses.

Those under SMRT ones are really terrible. Only a few O405s are worth to continue.

ELBO version 1

The one I took is very first version without aircon, to me is taking Nissan or Hino is much better than this scania.

Photo07.jpg

When TIBS buses was transferred to SMRT, many of the buses are terribly maintain.

This is one of the worst models neglected by SMRT.

Air con is like sauna, seats damn dusty and dirty, the windows are sealed up to become air con bus, but the gaps in the sills accumulated a lot of dirt and dust.

Same goes for their converted air con O405s, Dennis Lances, Nissan UDs, bendy buses and Hinos.

Last time Scania buses not bad but current Scania buses that SBS using totally cannot make it.

Actually watching buses got scrapped not very sad la, since the lifespan buses used was at least 20 years, worth going into scrapyard liao. Lol. It is more sad to see cars being scrapped lo.

Those Scania N113CRBs bought in the 1990s are bodied by European bus builders, Walter Alexander.

Now the Scania buses are bodied by Gemilang. Malaysian builder.

The first 2 Leyland Atlanteans to debut in 1977 were assembled locally at McKenzie Road workshop. They arrived in CKD form. I remember seeing them taking shape in the workshop each time I visited. The 2 buses were for road trials to see whether double-deckers were suitable for use in SG. 

To choose which service to be put into, SBS officers went to survey the possible routes to scout that there were no low tree branches, protruding bus stops, low pedestrian bridge nor other obstructions that could hit the high chassis.

Supersonic

@SiLangkia

Next set of pictures today.

Another Albion Viking EVK55CL along Chinatown in the early 1980s.

post-180434-0-33237600-1528378133.jpg

Side profile

post-180434-0-65294000-1528378137.jpg

This picture has shared before.

Albion Viking again.

Service 111 once started from Hougang South interchange to Ghim Moh terminal.

post-180434-0-54120800-1528378134_thumb.jpg

Beach Rd in the 1980s.

Albion Viking again.

post-180434-0-40780300-1528378136.jpg

Leyland Atlantean bodied by Walter Alexander L type bodies.

Doing a promotional shoot for SBS on Sheares bridge in the 1980s.

post-180434-0-85866300-1528378138.jpg

Leyland Atlantean bodied by Walter Alexander R type bodies.

Last type of Atlanteans bought in 1984 to 1986.

Picture taken outside Boon Lay interchange in the 1990s

post-180434-0-88040200-1528378139_thumb.jpg

Ang Mo Kio, then and now.

post-180434-0-49793500-1528378141_thumb.jpg

Old SBS buses along Ang Mo Kio Ave 1 in the late 1980s.

Guess the cars.  [laugh] * First car: Subaru GL

post-180434-0-70708700-1528378142_thumb.jpg

Ashok Leyland ALCOP

One of the few bus models transferred to SBS in 1973 from the defunct private bus companies. 

post-180434-0-61953100-1528378131.jpg

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

U sure he got PG card already ? :blink:

got lah !! Everywhere also Kenna Parental Guidance ; like Pappy shadow trolling me around .... don’t pray pray
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

The Scanias during that era were horrible. Terrible jerking from any gear change regardless up or down shifting.

Nothing compared to the UD Nissan buses.

Looks like Scania bus no matter which era also horrible?! But current Scania bus that SBS running now confirmed is super terrible and horrible, bus jerking from gear change and unstable of the bus really makes me headache everytime i board this bus.

Supersonic

@SiLangkia

Next set of pictures today.

Old SBS buses along Ang Mo Kio Ave 1 in the late 1980s.

Guess the cars.  [laugh] * First car: Subaru GL

attachicon.gifAng Mo Kio SBS buses.jpg

You know the 3rd bus model after the two double decker? Think this single decker also quite popular during the 80s?

↡ Advertisement