Public Buses of Yesterday

SiLangKia

Supersonic

You know the 3rd bus model after the two double decker? Think this single decker also quite popular during the 80s?

Mercedes Benz OF1417 bodied by Hawke. 

↡ Advertisement

@SiLangkia

Next set of pictures today.

Another Albion Viking EVK55CL along Chinatown in the early 1980s.

attachicon.gifAlbion Viking EVK55CL 3.jpg

Side profile

attachicon.gifAlbion Viking.jpg

This picture has shared before.

Albion Viking again.

Service 111 once started from Hougang South interchange to Ghim Moh terminal.

attachicon.gifAlbion Viking EVK55CL 4.jpg

Beach Rd in the 1980s.

Albion Viking again.

attachicon.gifAlbion Viking(Beach Rd).jpg

Leyland Atlantean bodied by Walter Alexander L type bodies.

Doing a promotional shoot for SBS on Sheares bridge in the 1980s.

attachicon.gifAN68.jpg

Leyland Atlantean bodied by Walter Alexander R type bodies.

Last type of Atlanteans bought in 1984 to 1986.

Picture taken outside Boon Lay interchange in the 1990s

attachicon.gifAN682Rp4.jpg

Ang Mo Kio, then and now.

attachicon.gifAng Mo Kio interchange.jpg

Old SBS buses along Ang Mo Kio Ave 1 in the late 1980s.

Guess the cars.  [laugh] * First car: Subaru GL

attachicon.gifAng Mo Kio SBS buses.jpg

Ashok Leyland ALCOP

One of the few bus models transferred to SBS in 1973 from the defunct private bus companies. 

attachicon.gifAshok Leyland ALCOP.JPG

Thanks for sharing! I visit remembersingapore.org alot and rmb seeing alot of these photos about a year back, just didn't bother saving it hahahahah

I think the Leyland Atlanteans must have been quite interesting back in the day

Took one of these ex-SBS Transit Mercedes buses in Bangkok recently. Is this model 30 years old already? They are still running around in Bangkok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL1snFj2GtI

How was it ? still in good condition? The exterior had quite an extensive redo, I rmb someone posting on the net a picture of the original SBS body being half cut and the refurbishment being done in thailand

Supersonic
(edited)

Mercedes Benz OF1417 bodied by Hawke. 

Any closer picture on this SBS single decker bus ah?

Edited by 13177

(edited)

The buses brought in the 1990s are better engineered and can last. Also there was a shift to air con bus fleets by the 1990s, so might as well stretch their working capacities and get back as much ROI as possible, since air con buses are more costly to buy and maintain.

If you observed for the past decade, those buses that are scrapped are all bought in the 1990s. Many of them are actually in good condition, strong air con, smooth engines and transmissions, thick cushion seats. Very pity that they are scrapped so early, even for 20 years. Applies to most of the SBS buses.

Those under SMRT ones are really terrible. Only a few O405s are worth to continue.

When TIBS buses was transferred to SMRT, many of the buses are terribly maintain.

This is one of the worst models neglected by SMRT.

Air con is like sauna, seats damn dusty and dirty, the windows are sealed up to become air con bus, but the gaps in the sills accumulated a lot of dirt and dust.

Same goes for their converted air con O405s, Dennis Lances, Nissan UDs, bendy buses and Hinos.

Those Scania N113CRBs bought in the 1990s are bodied by European bus builders, Walter Alexander.

Now the Scania buses are bodied by Gemilang. Malaysian builder.

Actually quite alot of the O405s were pretty solid and well running, even towards the end! I rmb sitting in alot of those, love the sound of the kickdown from the ZF transmission

Edited by SiLangKia

Supersonic

Thanks for sharing! I visit remembersingapore.org alot and rmb seeing alot of these photos about a year back, just didn't bother saving it hahahahah

Very old school, windy, noisy, jerky, and the exposed running belt at the rear side engine compartment roaring "klang, klang klang..."

Not referring to the last TIBS bus, i refer to the SBS single decker bus in the picture.

I know which one you are refering.

TIBS bus is a Hino. 

(edited)

ELBO version 1

The one I took is very first version without aircon, to me is taking Nissan or Hino is much better than this scania.

Photo07.jpg

I only took these a couple times, not much impression, but the ones I took more often were the Walter Alexander ones, pretty good ride and cold aircon, those I took were original air conditioned (OAC)

Edited by SiLangKia

How was it ? still in good condition? The exterior had quite an extensive redo, I rmb someone posting on the net a picture of the original SBS body being half cut and the refurbishment being done in thailand

It was converted to CNG if i am not wrong. The interior is still pretty much the same, feels like taking SBS bus. I believe these buses still can run for many years

Supersonic

It was converted to CNG if i am not wrong. The interior is still pretty much the same, feels like taking SBS bus. I believe these buses still can run for many years

Engine sound still the same?

Engine sound still the same?

Sorry not an expert on buses. Sounds like those SBS Volvo single deck buses

Supersonic

Looks like Scania bus no matter which era also horrible?! But current Scania bus that SBS running now confirmed is super terrible and horrible, bus jerking from gear change and unstable of the bus really makes me headache everytime i board this bus.

The SBS Scania N113CRBs are the best Scania buses in Singapore.

Very smooth, powerful and quiet bus. Also the first modern air con bus fleet in Singapore. It was very modern when it was introduced in 1989 among all those old school non air con buses.

Very smooth, powerful and quiet bus. Also the first modern air con bus fleet in Singapore. It was very modern when it was introduced in 1989 among all those old school non air con buses.

I rmb the SBS Scania N113s, really quite good, similar to the Nissan U31s in terms of being smooth and quiet

Wow, converted to CNG, wonder how different it would feel, from the YouTube video the engine sound seems pretty familiar hahaha, and yeah these buses can go for more than 30 years if given decent maintenance, hope to find old SG buses in other parts of the world someday

@SILangkia

A bonus for you.

SBS Volvo B57 interior 

attachicon.gifInterior of SBS Volvo B57.jpg

Nice clear picture :) I've seen some on the net but not as clear as this  [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Then how come later batch of Scania bus so bad, esp the current Scania KUB.

Supersonic

Then how come later batch of Scania bus so bad, esp the current Scania KUB.

Used Malaysia bodybuilder, Gemilang.