A New Vehicle Category - Quadricycle

Carbon82

Background

If you were to do a search on Wikipedia, the term Quadricycle exists since 1896, when Ford called his vehicle, which ran on four bicycle tires with an engine driving the back wheels, the "Quadricycle". In modern-day France, a quadricycle is a 4-wheel car that cannot go faster than 28 mph and weighs less than 770 pounds.

Latest Development

The India government has approved quadricycle as a new category of vehicle to be allowed to run on Indian roads. The road transport and highways ministry has issued the final notification on the standards for quadricycle, such as its weight, emission and safety features.

The passenger quadricycle will have a maximum weight of 475 kg and before being launched, it has to go through a mandatory crash test that would determine the passenger safety standards. Along with those running on conventional fuel, the government has also given approval for electric and hybrid quadricycles.

“The final standards for the category have been issued. Any company that manufactures quadricycle can sell it in India. We have ensured that the safety standards for quadricycle are more stringent than the European standards,” a road transport and highways ministry official said.

“All safety standards that are prescribed for other passenger four-wheelers are prescribed for quadricycle as well. The vehicle will be tested on its crash worthiness as well,” the official said.

Bajaj Qute

Bajaj has been the pioneer of last mile city transport. It’s auto rickshaw is an Indian icon recognized around the world. With the urban landscape changing in last few years, Bajaj has once again pioneered the transformation in the way modern India will move by introducing Qute- a smart move for solving the urban problems.

Qute is a four-wheeler, yet not a car. It comes under a whole new category — the quadricycle. It is a new-age vehicle that carries the attributes of a three-wheeler as well as those of a car. It is compact, lightweight, and has a carbon footprint that is 37% lesser than the smallest car available.

With a patented fuel injected Digital Tri-spark ignition engine that delivers C02 emissions of just 66gms/km & a mileage of 36kmpl, the Qute is possibly the greenest & leanest 4-wheeler anywhere in the world, and perhaps the safest too.

Thanks to its restricted weight & speed of under 450 kgs & 70 kmph respectively, the Qute, unlike cars, is no threat to pedestrians, cyclists & 2-wheeler riders who represent the vast majority of casualties on our roads. The simple truth is that fast & heavy cars can kill slowly with emissions or instantaneously upon impact. Bajaj Qute, the world’s first affordable "Anti-car" quadricycle was thus designed specifically for intra-city travel that’s always green, never mean.

8.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Technical Specifications

Engine: 216.6cc CNG and LPG variants available
Gear: Sequential gear shift like motorcycles (5 forward + 1 reverse)
Peak Power: 13.2 PS
Max Speed: 70 Kmph

Dimension: 2,752 mm (L) x 1,312 mm (W) x 1,652 mm (H)

Wheel Base: 1,925 mm
Wheel Track: 1,143 mm
Turning Radius: 3.5 m

Dimensions_img.jpg

technology_img093.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

[crazy]

That was what came to my mind when I first saw the "car". But apparently, they have a very different way of conducting impact test. :yuush::lll._.:  :XD:  

And they also claim the "car" can survive a ponding situation... :want:

• Praise 6

Looks so cartoonish.

Does the floor panel open up for emergency braking? Yabadouble doo! [laugh]

I'm not even sure if it can survive a roll over (and not ended up in a dough of metal after a few rolling)... BTW, maybe buyer can opt for NO door to save more weight & $$$ (up front and running cost)? [idea]

• Praise 5

I'm not even sure if it can survive a roll over (and not ended up in a dough of metal after a few rolling)... BTW, maybe buyer can opt for NO door to save more weight & $$$ (up front and running cost)? [idea]

Haha...I gave their videos a like [thumbsup]

Just looks like an inferior version of a Japanese Kei car to me. The Subaru R2 has been around more than 10 years and is far better than this...

And what utter nonsense..... "Thanks to its restricted weight & speed of under 450 kgs & 70 kmph respectively, the Qute, unlike cars, is no threat to pedestrians,". 

I am quite sure that a pedestrian hit in the face by 450KG travelling at 70kmh will be just as dead s being hit by tipper truck.... 

Looks familiar

6000196771147.jpg

:D :D

Just looks like an inferior version of a Japanese Kei car to me. The Subaru R2 has been around more than 10 years and is far better than this...

And what utter nonsense..... "Thanks to its restricted weight & speed of under 450 kgs & 70 kmph respectively, the Qute, unlike cars, is no threat to pedestrians,".

I am quite sure that a pedestrian hit in the face by 450KG travelling at 70kmh will be just as dead s being hit by tipper truck....

This is much smaller than Japanese Kei car, in term of size and engine capacity. And yah, I also LOL at that statement about safety. PMD weighing 20Kg traveling at 20Km/h can already kill... [:(]

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Got airbags?

Plastic bags ai mai? Either for the min. protection (still a bag of air after all), or can also double up as a sick bag if the passenger feel like throwing up due to the floaty ride. :D :D :D

• Praise 5

Wait till hot day when temp hit >35 then you yabadabadoo. LOL!

And that is when you realize that the doors are jam, and the handle for winding down the window broke... :D :D

• Praise 4

That was what came to my mind when I first saw the "car". But apparently, they have a very different way of conducting impact test. :yuush::lll._.:  :XD:  

And they also claim the "car" can survive a ponding situation... :want:

How many engineers does it take to do a test?

Has a few features that even luxury cars don't have

like light for engine compartment, 2 sided glove box,

SD card MP3 player, passenger knee cap rubberised

air tube protectors etc.

:D

↡ Advertisement