Harrier / IS300h

Ironstarz

I’m in the midst of comparing a couple of cars for my next drive . Currently I’m looking at 2014 Harrier VS 2014 IS300h

Understand that one is SUV another is sedan which is not my main issue , the thing that I’m thinking about is the reliability of each drive down the road if possible I would want to extend the COE when time come .

Which is a better choice ?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I would go for Harrier cos non Hybrid.

I did consider about the hybrid portion . First 10 year under warranty . Subsequent replacement outside at Hevshop will cost about 3.5k . Not sure is the fuel saving would be worth it.

(edited)

There is a toyota road show at suntec city when I had dinner there.

Coming from someone that just viewed a sorento in the morning, the harrier build quality really fall short of the Korean, right from the moment the door is opened.

The kia feels much more substantial and better put together.

My frank opinion and no offence to harrier owner.

Edited by Hamburger

Is300 is pretty small and cramp at the back. Do u foresee u will need to ferry kids or parents over the next 10 yrs, esp when u are thinking of Coe renewal?

Both are equally good and definitely reliable. Go harrier if you have family expansion, otherwise 300 is good but hybrid battery cost quite a bomb (not sure why yours was quoted so low)

• Praise 1

There is a toyota road show at suntec city when I had dinner there.

Coming from someone that just viewed a sorento in the morning, the harrier build quality really fall short of the Korean, right from the moment the door is opened.

The kia feels much more substantial and better put together.

My frank opinion and no offence to harrier owner.

True kia has better build that my harrier. I bought harrier for reliability and also look (personal preference).

I did consider about the hybrid portion . First 10 year under warranty . Subsequent replacement outside at Hevshop will cost about 3.5k . Not sure is the fuel saving would be worth it.

I tell u harrier fc ard 11-13km/l based on my daily driving 60% highway. I dont think is300h is any better than that. IS300h has more power and brand also better. But downside i believe higher dep, more ex to maintain and after 10 yrs battery issue including battery converter thats not cheap. Please check with hevshop whether thats only batt or include the converter.

Space wise IS300h too small ald and harrier has decent boot space.

If i were u if budget allow i would get the facelift harrier from borneo, got turbo, more power and also 2014 harrier batch might have torque converter issue

• Praise 4

Is300 is pretty small and cramp at the back. Do u foresee u will need to ferry kids or parents over the next 10 yrs, esp when u are thinking of Coe renewal?

Both are equally good and definitely reliable. Go harrier if you have family expansion, otherwise 300 is good but hybrid battery cost quite a bomb (not sure why yours was quoted so low)

I haven really took a look at the rear of IS300, I did heard complains on the is250 tho. Will go check it out thanks .

Hybrid battery from original AD will cost a bomb , but original Lexus battery from outside workshop is a fraction

True kia has better build that my harrier. I bought harrier for reliability and also look (personal preference).

I tell u harrier fc ard 11-13km/l based on my daily driving 60% highway. I dont think is300h is any better than that. IS300h has more power and brand also better. But downside i believe higher dep, more ex to maintain and after 10 yrs battery issue including battery converter thats not cheap. Please check with hevshop whether thats only batt or include the converter.

Space wise IS300h too small ald and harrier has decent boot space.

If i were u if budget allow i would get the facelift harrier from borneo, got turbo, more power and also 2014 harrier batch might have torque converter issue

11-13 for an SUV is pretty decent !

Original Lexus hybrid battery may be cheaper than BM but have you asked about any workshop having the expertise and experience to handle a hybrid system repair? Even if you can find one, the workmanship is not going to be cheap.

The hybrid car is not just about the battery. It is a full system with the independent front and rear electrical.motors, control modules and computers, ventilation system etc. Any of these can fail within the 10yrs.

When I sold off my 8+Yr old lexus gs hybrid, I heaved a sigh of relief because I no longer goes to bed worrying if any of the above mentioned parts will fail on me before I am ready to change car. 

I haven really took a look at the rear of IS300, I did heard complains on the is250 tho. Will go check it out thanks .

Hybrid battery from original AD will cost a bomb , but original Lexus battery from outside workshop is a fraction
11-13 for an SUV is pretty decent !

• Praise 1

I believe toyota has one of the most reliable hybrids. And as hybrid gets more common, there's alternative repair sources out there.

IS300h really saves fuel. You can easily get 15-16km/L. And more if you are the gentle type.

All voice down to your preference, if you are high mileage user, then hybrid is the way to go, else, go with non hybrid.

For me, i buy the car i like, reason being you feel differently when you are driving something that you like.

For road holding, handling, cornering, high speed stability, IS is a better choice.

• Praise 3

Original Lexus hybrid battery may be cheaper than BM but have you asked about any workshop having the expertise and experience to handle a hybrid system repair? Even if you can find one, the workmanship is not going to be cheap.

The hybrid car is not just about the battery. It is a full system with the independent front and rear electrical.motors, control modules and computers, ventilation system etc. Any of these can fail within the 10yrs.

When I sold off my 8+Yr old lexus gs hybrid, I heaved a sigh of relief because I no longer goes to bed worrying if any of the above mentioned parts will fail on me before I am ready to change car.

the fact that the car hasn't fail you is a sign of reliability isn't it?

im same side as you. refused to buy hybrid... some more i bought from PI...

• Praise 1

Nope.

4th year of life, the power control PCB chip and associated electronics failed. The system was repaired along with hybrid battery replacement under the 3+2yr warranty by BM. 

I drove the remaining 3+yrs in anxiety u till it was sold. 

Good luck! 

the fact that the car hasn't fail you is a sign of reliability isn't it?

im same side as you. refused to buy hybrid... some more i bought from PI...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1