Osaka hit by magnitude-5.9 earthquake - June 18 2018

inlinesix

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/japan-earthquake-has-preliminary-magnitude-of-59

Strong earthquake hits near Osaka in western Japan, several feared dead
OKYO (REUTERS, AFP) - An elderly man and a young girl were killed, with several other people also in “cardiopulmonary arrest”, after walls collapsed in a magnitude-6.1 earthquake that hit Osaka in western Japan on Monday (June 18), Japanese public broadcaster NHK said.

Japan does not confirm deaths until a formal examination has been made and generally uses the term cardiopulmonary arrest in such cases.

NHK said an 80-year-old man and a 9-year-old girl had been killed by collapsing walls.

Live footage showed burst water mains and a house on fire after the quake hit Japan’s second-biggest metropolis just before 8am (2300 GMT Sunday) as commuters were heading to work.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the government was assessing damage and that its top priority was the safety of residents.

Abe said he had instructed his staff to "swiftly collect information on damage, make utmost efforts in rescuing and saving lives... (and) provide timely and appropriate information to the public."

Local police also told AFP that they had not received reports of substantial damage, and the Nuclear Regulation Authority said it had detected no abnormalities at its facilities after the quake.

The epicentre of the earthquake was in the northern part of the prefecture, the Japan Meteorological Agency said. The agency originally put the quake’s magnitude at 5.9 but later raised it to 6.1. No tsunami warning was issued.

According to the United States Geological Survey (USGS), the quake struck at a magnitude of 5.3 and at a depth of 15.4km at 7.58am (6.58am, Singapore time) near Osaka.

180618_japan-osaka-5.3-magnitude-quake_o

Kansai Electric Power said no irregularities had been detected at the Mihama, Takahama and Ohi nuclear plants after the quake. Kansai also said more than 170,000 households were without power in Osaka and neighbouring Hyogo prefecture.

Daihatsu Motor Co, an Osaka-based unit of Toyota Motor Corp, said it had suspended production at its factories in Osaka and Kyoto while they check for damage.

Sharp Corp said its directly owned plants in the area were operating as usual, but a joint venture plant with parent Hon Hai Precision Industry said it had halted operations for safety checks.

JXTG Nippon Oil & Energy Corp says it has shut all refining units at its 115,000 barrels-per-day (bpd) Osaka refinery after the quake.

The company is conducting checks at the refinery, and if no irregularities are found, it would look to resume refining operations, a company spokesman said. Product shipments from the refinery have also been halted, he added.

Monday's tremor caused a blackout for thousands of houses and suspended train operations during the morning commuting hours.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged

My form teacher is soooooo lucky. He flew back just last night.

i'm sure there are hundreds more singaporean tourists there now, unaccounted for. Hope all are safe.

wait a minute.... form teacher? how old are u?

Supersonic
(edited)

some tourist said the trains were running again 20 mins after the quake .... they were very impressed

Indeed very impressive, even earthquake they can resume the trains barely after 20 mins?!  :o  Sg train kana train/track and any fault can delay the train for hours!

Anyway, hopefully everything is ok in Osaka.

Edited by 13177

(edited)

i'm sure there are hundreds more singaporean tourists there now, unaccounted for. Hope all are safe.

wait a minute.... form teacher? how old are u?

I am long expired from school. LOL....

I am still in touch with my secondary teachers.

This is his second "escape". Last year Dec 2017, same. He came back just before the earthquake struck in Japan.

Edited by Ravinged

Supersonic

I am long expired from school. LOL....

I am still in touch with my secondary teachers.

This is his second "escape". Last year Dec 2017, same. He came back just before the earthquake struck in Japan.

He always go there tour?

Turbocharged

Indeed very impressive, even earthquake they can resume the trains barely after 20 mins?!  :o  Sg train kana train/track and any fault can delay the train for hours!

Anyway, hopefully everything is ok in Osaka.

The workforce in Japan is diffferent - very few foreigners. So all take it seriously as a long term career.

Down here we rely on foreign workers - cheaper at a price [:)]

The workforce in Japan is diffferent - very few foreigners. So all take it seriously as a long term career.

Down here we rely on foreign workers - cheaper at a price [:)]

No leh. My Japanese colleague can't wait to leave Japan. She dream of migrating to Norway. She visits Norway annually on her own and learned the language there. She cant wait to marry off to a Norwegian and stay there forever.

No leh. My Japanese colleague can't wait to leave Japan. She dream of migrating to Norway. She visits Norway annually on her own and learned the language there. She cant wait to marry off to a Norwegian and stay there forever.

wah! she rikes gaijin!