Mobile phone explosion

Ysc3

Twincharged
what a way to go ... and as usual, the question on everyone's mind is : what phone ?

KUALA LUMPUR: A mobile phone explosion led to the death of 45-year-old Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd CEO Nazrin Hassan, according to a statement released by the company on Friday (Jun 15).

The company confirmed that the post-mortem report concluded the cause of death on Thursday as complications from blast injuries attributable to an exploding handphone that was being charged next to him.

A message from the family that has been circulating on social media quoted Nazrin’s brother-in-law as claiming that at some point the phone had overheated and exploded, causing a blunt trauma at the back of Nazrin’s head and caused his death.

The mattress too had caught fire but Nazrin was already lifeless by then, said the brother-in-law whose name was not mentioned in the message.  

Police had earlier said Nazrin was trapped in a bedroom fire at his double-storey terrace house in Mutiara Damansara yesterday and probably died of smoke inhalation. He had also suffered burns on his body.

Nazrin leaves behind his wife and four children, according to the Star.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Seems unusual. So many HP batteries caught fire (youtube videos etc) before but how many exploding ones have we seen? 

Even if the Li-on battery is compromised, usually it just catches fire?

And i don't believe u can't smell something burning in your room pretty quickly. Unless the fire started in another part of the house.

Twincharged

The guy was sleeping next to his charging phone... So can't smell it before it happened.

I do sleep with my phone beside me on the bedside table... But I do not charge it. I only charge my phone when I wake up the next morning.

The guy was sleeping next to his charging phone... So can't smell it before it happened.

I do sleep with my phone beside me on the bedside table... But I do not charge it. I only charge my phone when I wake up the next morning.

i charge my phone with my powerbank when it's lying beside me.

But like i said, explosion sounds bit weird. 

Must be something sharp pierce thru the phone and battery else don't think will explode while charging. Or he crush the phone while sleeping...crush with his head? Possible?

Could be anything like part of the housing or seal is broken with high heat, and sudden burst of oxygen sparks an explosion ? Li-on batteries also don't like to be "squeezed" like I recall in the Samsung Galaxy issue the batteries were squeezed into the phone housing. If battery is bloating and squeezed, surely there will be trouble, just a matter of time but these days the new phone batteries are not removable and if bloated also not immediately apparent.

Those caught fire leh. Never really exploded.

In fact, u are more likely to get electrocuted by a faulty charger rather than get hurt by battery explosion.

Even electric car batteries which have like hundreds of times more capacity only catch fire and never really explode.

Hypersonic

I think the potential for battery to explode under high heat is there. Just feel that any stored chemical energy and overheat are not a good combo to have near you.

Anyway what brand of handphone and charger?

Early Xmas present for my MIL

:D

Hearsay on social media is either huawei or blackberry. But who uses a bb nowadays? Might be fake news.
  • Praise 2

Twincharged

Anyway what brand of handphone and charger?

Early Xmas present for my MIL

IPhone x 256gb... Must be 256gb hor...
  • Praise 1

In fact, u are more likely to get electrocuted by a faulty charger rather than get hurt by battery explosion.

Even electric car batteries which have like hundreds of times more capacity only catch fire and never really explode.

Remember reading one or two cases of phone exploding when it was used while charging. Can't remember the details though!

(edited)

I think the potential for battery to explode under high heat is there. Just feel that any stored chemical energy and overheat are not a good combo to have near you.

Hearsay on social media is either huawei or blackberry. But who uses a bb nowadays? Might be fake news.

OK getting the Huawei with the biggest batt for MIL.

I will ask the salesman for the biggest bang for buck model.

IPhone x 256gb... Must be 256gb hor...

256 more bang for buck?

You forgot about Samsung S7. Banned from all Airlines.

Edited by Jamesc

Turbocharged

Seems unusual. So many HP batteries caught fire (youtube videos etc) before but how many exploding ones have we seen? 

Even if the Li-on battery is compromised, usually it just catches fire?

And i don't believe u can't smell something burning in your room pretty quickly. Unless the fire started in another part of the house.

I totally agree with you. heat can cause fire when there is 'fuel' to support it. explode can only happen in certain conditions. so, instead of such misleading info, the manufacturer should explain why their phone explode so that people know how to prevent it. 

Twincharged

MY mata now classify as murder liow !!

Cops classify Cradle Fund CEO’s death as murder

Cradle Fund CEO Nazrin Hassan was initially said to have died of complications from injuries suffered when a mobile phone that was being charged exploded. (Facebook pic)

KUALA LUMPUR: Police have confirmed that the death of Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd chief executive officer, Nazrin Hassan, on June 14 has now been classified as a murder case.

Selangor CID chief SAC Fadzil Ahmat said the case had been classified under Section 302 of the Penal Code last Friday.

“The decision was made based on the reports of the Fire and Rescue Department as well as the post-mortem,” he said in a statement today.

In June, it was reported that Nazrin had died in a fire at his residence in Petaling Jaya at about 12.20pm.

Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd in a statement then confirmed the post-mortem report concluded that Nazrin had died of complications from injuries suffered when a mobile phone that was being charged exploded.

Cradle Fund is a company under the Finance Ministry set up to develop technology entrepreneurs and ecosystem start-up companies in Malaysia.

It is the agency which provided initial funding for successful companies such as Grab (MyTeksi) and iMoney.

Twincharged

Didn't say what phone is it?

my wife just received a video of another phone explosion from her group chat.

this time, the video of a man on a stretcher being loaded into the ambulance - still alive though .... but a portion of his skull was missing as it was narrated that he slept with his phone under his pillow and it blew up, taking a part of his skull with it ... even showing some brain matter !!

↡ Advertisement