Inflated insurance claim; What to do?

wlalala

Turbocharged

Personally, I feel the insurance companies are in the position to be like the petrol companies, in controlling prices.

With NCD loss for non-reporting and warranty threats, many car owners would prefer not to take chances with mutual settlements, especially with newer cars. And the other is the risk of backstabbing lowlifes.

I've been quoted $3k repairs by AD and authorised workshops, that my mechanic can settle under $500, still using original parts.

It's possible that the insurance companies agree on most repairs, as long as they work with one another to justify the costs. After all, they can recover it from increased premiums thereafter.

I 'kiss' somebody last week. although it is very minor and the other party asked for $400, I am sceptical and decided to go the insurance way. Why? just too many bad publicity of mutual agreement went wrong. I don't want to waste time and money fighting over a couple of hundreds as it is very clear from the damges.

we are in today situation because there is no single body to lodge an accident report and clearly note down the damages. if VICOM or such inspection centre can do this part, inflated claims will be the past. 

↡ Advertisement

This is one of the industry that is not regulated so firms such as workshop, insurance coy, lawyers, etc tend to profit as much as possible from it.

Years ago I side swiped with a 7 Series. Photos shows that I am in my lane and the BMW drove into me. Workshop says I have 80% chance of winning the case quoted 1.3K in repair bills if I choose to foot the bill but at the end of the day the insurance coy says 50/50. So both car owners lose their NCD and prepare to pay more for the following 3 years and the workshop end up charging my insurance 13K. 

This is one of the industry that is not regulated so firms such as workshop, insurance coy, lawyers, etc tend to profit as much as possible from it.

Years ago I side swiped with a 7 Series. Photos shows that I am in my lane and the BMW drove into me. Workshop says I have 80% chance of winning the case quoted 1.3K in repair bills if I choose to foot the bill but at the end of the day the insurance coy says 50/50. So both car owners lose their NCD and prepare to pay more for the following 3 years and the workshop end up charging my insurance 13K. 

When side swiped and you were in your lane with photo evidence, how come the other party could still claim 50-50? 

Then I suppose he must have reported this to his insurer:

"I was driving my lorry and the car in front of my braked, so I banged the car accidentally. I did not know the car would stop and it is not my fault for banging the car. It is not my fault and I am stating that I did not admit I was wrong."

:XD:

i kena before that f**ker claim i reverse on PIE hit his car. knn. use brain la. lucky i got video cam

Must have changed a lot of things - head light, side mirror, door, or a long long scratch ah ??  Not sure.  Lawyer correspondence already 2~3K ba.

Anyway, car park look static but a very ex place for accident. If you move out of car park slot and an accident happened, you confirmed 100% one.

Case 1:

My case, I driving into a car park slot and a car move out of slot bang me.  Then hor, want to sue me some more.  I said hor, whatever, as this is a temple and I just finished talking to my god, I offer you private settlement until sunset. You call hor, as I don't want to talk to you liao, since you want to sue me wor.

Case 2:

My friend, a car ram into his car when his car still in slot.  OK.  He is found to be 100% liable lor.  As the other car cam show his tyres already started to move -- A few inches ??  Not sure, never see video.  Total cost 24K in repair and 15K of medical claim lor. He said the other car airbag also triggered, so more than 40km/h.

So, be careful lor. 

When a car is in the process of moving out from a car park lot and suay suay kena accident, the liability falls on that car. I kena this previously and wave bye bye to my 50% NCD [bigcry] cos never purchase the NCD Protector  [shakehead] but that accident is fully my fault cos I move out of the lot without thoroughly checking clear of any incoming vehicles .... [lipsrsealed]

All insurers in Singapore use a guide called the Barometer of Liability Agreement (BOLA) to determine how much each party is liable in an accident [nod]

• Praise 1

When side swiped and you were in your lane with photo evidence, how come the other party could still claim 50-50?

Call me cynical or whatever... If we leave the contest to 2 parties (insurance companies) who have their own interests to take care of, making the insured drivers pay, would be the most ideal scenario for them.

Mazda parts seem to be to expensive. My friend’s Mazda 3 sideswiped by another car and kena the headlight and bumper. Just the replacement of the 1 pc headlight cost 3k already.

This is the one thing i never understood...

The OMV for mazda 3, various models, range from $14k to $18k. So if the whole car's value is $18k, how come one headlight is already $3k?

I keep asking myself this question whenever i need to replace any spare parts in the various cars i owned - could never rationalise/reconcile leh...

• Praise 1

The OMV for mazda 3, various models, range from $14k to $18k. So if the whole car's value is $18k, how come one headlight is already $3k?

I keep asking myself this question whenever i need to replace any spare parts in the various cars i owned - could never rationalise/reconcile leh...

Ya lor. Good question.

Mass order vs retail price :D

i kena before that f**ker claim i reverse on PIE hit his car. knn. use brain la. lucky i got video cam

I think, to a certain extent, some 'stories' cannot take face value like that. Otherwise, the reputation of these insurance companies will go down the drain. If such an accusation is officially reported, that person was actually making a false report, and accusing you of committing a road traffic offence, which resulted in the RTA. And mind you, this is serious allegation. You could get book for it.

If I come to know of it, I will lodge a Police report and get him to do the same. See if he dares to commit himself on a Police report.

• Praise 1

Mass order vs retail price :D

wah lao... profiteering lots lots leh...

if add up the whole retail price to self-assemble a car, i think the $14k OMV Mazda 3 will easily add up to maybe $200k (not incl labour somemore)...

[bigcry]

If buy INCOME, they will fight and fight with you. The rest, I am not sure.

I also don't work in and/or a supplier of INCOME. I don't sell insurance.

Lancar got FREE Taxi Ride home. Anywhere in Mainland SG.

If you insured with INCOME more than 2 year, the 3rd year FREE NCD Protector.

INCOME is very aggressive when it come to claim anomaly. I like.

Anyway, if the claim cross 3K, your NCD is affected.

Btw, the insurance company for my quoted damage was claimed against was NTUC. When the assessor was at the AD with me, I didn't see any of that fight. Maybe it was done behind doors with the AD.

That's how car manufacturers make profits, through their spare parts arm :D

wah lao... profiteering lots lots leh...

if add up the whole retail price to self-assemble a car, i think the $14k OMV Mazda 3 will easily add up to maybe $200k (not incl labour somemore)...

[bigcry]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Head lamp is $300, but got to factor in renoval, rewiring, replacement of clips and brackets, if mudguard or bumper need replacement. then one of the expensive part, respray the entire sections of the body involved.

that is why, who is to decide what only need to be replaced and not everything near it? 

Head lamp is $300, but got to factor in renoval, rewiring, replacement of clips and brackets, if mudguard or bumper need replacement. then one of the expensive part, respray the entire sections of the body involved.

that is why, who is to decide what only need to be replaced and not everything near it? 

@rctp said his friend's mazda 3 headlamp $3k leh... http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2710626-inflated-insurance-claim-what-to-do/?p=6450994

i think it's the LED light maybe?

Call me cynical or whatever... If we leave the contest to 2 parties (insurance companies) who have their own interests to take care of, making the insured drivers pay, would be the most ideal scenario for them.

I feel that Traffic Police should re install the demerits point system back for accidents caused and all cases have to make police report this will prevent people from giving FALSE STATEMENT. 

Also Traffic police and employed more people to work.. job creation.  [:p] 

I will be the first want to apply. haha!! 

• Praise 1