Mahathir revives Singapore water dispute, says water deal too costly

Vratenza

walao ... pattern lai liao

is it no cancel HSR no water? [sly]

we should speed up the development and technology to recycle pangjio and desalination ...

Not surprise at all. His typical tactics is to create a common enemy to distract ppl from internal problems and it often works. Renegotiate current deals is to that he and his team get a cut from it.

• Praise 3

Not surprise at all. His typical tactics is to create a common enemy to distract ppl from internal problems and it often works. Renegotiate current deals is to that he and his team get a cut from it.

The return of Mr Ten Percent!!!  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 6

(edited)

aiya "rome is not built in a day" ... msia under umno for 60 years

umno = msia govt ... i say i do ... everyone else shuddup

to change mindset ... need time la

even 10-15 years is considered SHORT to change mindset and establish a new norm and acceptance

some say DEEP ROOTED CULTURE hor

again there is a LIMIT what the new malaysia can be ... as for now ... move step by step lor

every now and then sure kena backlash from umno and the gang

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/malaysia-finance-minister-lim-under-fire-for-issuing-official-statement-in-mandarin?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&xtor=CS1-10#Echobox=1529912221

Darn.. Malaysia is beyond hope.

Finance minister is trying his best to move into English as 1st language. End up kanna critise for issuing official statement in Chinese.

Hey.. He issue official statement in 3 language, Malay, English and Chinese.. Not Chinese only leh..

Darn these people.. If these people don't change their mindset.. They will never progress..

Edited by Wt_know

walao ... pattern lai liao

is it no cancel HSR no water? [sly]

we should speed up the development and technology to recycle pangjio and desalination ...

He is just raising an old issue to gain leverage over future negotiation on numerous issues with SG, like Trump and his trade war with the Chinese. This is realpolitik.
  • Praise 4

Instead of leading the country on how to make more money, Lau Beh just digs out all old contracts/agreements and tries to squeeze here there! Does he know that all signed contracts/agreements are binding? 

Is he forward looking?

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

if water is si important to us, what have we done for the past 50 off years

we spent so much on military but if they turn off tap

we are screwed

complacency that a paper contract will do the trick

well at least now Hyflux is thrown with a lifeline

Edited by Ash2017
  • Praise 5

(edited)

aiya "rome is not built in a day" ... msia under umno for 60 years

umno = msia govt ... i say i do ... everyone else shuddup

to change mindset ... need time la

even 10-15 years is considered SHORT to change mindset and establish a new norm and acceptance

some say DEEP ROOTED CULTURE hor

again there is a LIMIT what the new malaysia can be ... as for now ... move step by step lor

every now and then sure kena backlash from umno and the gang

Not so easy this time for him.

MAHATHIR DROPS BOMBSHELL: ‘I WILL STEP DOWN IF I CANNOT WORK WITH THE PEOPLE WHO ARE AGAINST ME’

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/mahathir-pakatan-harapan-cabinet-denies-squabbling-10467112

PUTRAJAYA: Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad's full Cabinet is expected to have 29 people, and the list is expected to be announced once the king gives his approval.

In an exclusive interview with Channel NewsAsia, where he addressed issues ranging from the water supply deal with Singapore to investigations against former prime minister Najib Razak, Dr Mahathir denied talk of rifts within the Pakatan Harapan coalition.

"It's not true (that there's squabbling delaying the full Cabinet announcement)," he said. "I have already finished my list and I have submitted it to the king." 

Pakatan Harapan won the general election for the first time in the nation's history on May 9. But since then, only a core Cabinet of 14 people have been announced. 

Each party in the coalition had submitted a list of names for Dr Mahathir's consideration although the prime minister said he did "inform the heads of the parties, that (he) will be choosing people who may not be in their list, and they have not protested".

"I called up the people, ministers and deputy ministers to ask them whether they accept the post I'm giving them ... And strangely, there was not much protest," he told Channel NewsAsia's Conversation With.

Advertisement

"There was some who felt that well, I should have given this and that ... but when it was pointed out to them that I have already filled up those places, they didn’t protest, they accepted."

At a press conference later in the day, Dr Mahathir said that the 29 names had all been finalised and that the swearing in ceremony would be conducted "when the agong (king) is available". 

ON THE PAKATAN HARAPAN COALITION

Pakatan Harapan is made up of four component parties with different ideologies, including one led by Dr Mahathir's former rival, Anwar Ibrahim. 

They came together ahead of the polls to successfully defeat scandal-plagued Najib Razak and Barisan Nasional - the coalition that had led Malaysia since its formation. 

The 92-year-old then once again took the reins of the country he first led in 1981 for more than two decades. 

There has been concern if his coalition is sustainable but Dr Mahathir believes he has their support and that his government is doing things differently. 

"It was much more difficult (when I was with BN) of course, because before, there was a dominant party. UMNO (the United Malays National Organisation) was a dominant party," he said.

"But here, you have to listen to four different voices. And you have to then summarise and say, this is generally what you believe, and then get their agreement. But fortunately for us, we were able to reach agreement despite the fact that people say our coalition is not a very strong coalition."

ON HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH ANWAR

The relationship between Anwar and Dr Mahathir is still being watched closely, however, given their strained past

Anwar was Dr Mahathir's deputy in the 1990s before being sacked. He was jailed soon after on charges he blamed the prime minister of orchestrating.

Their reconciliation, however, is based on Pakatan Harapan's pledge that Anwar will take over as prime minister after Dr Mahathir steps down.

Anwar was serving a second prison sentence at the time of the elections, being released days after Pakatan's victory. In the interim, Anwar is part of the top leadership of the coalition although he has no government post.

This is something Dr Mahathir points out when asked about comments Anwar has made on government policy, including suggesting that finance minister Lim Guan Eng stop exposing scandals as his words impact the markets.

"(Anwar) is like everybody else, he can comment - make any comment. He's not in the government," he said. 

"But generally, once we agree on something in the Cabinet we stick to that decision ... but others who are not in the Cabinet may make their own comments. They can say what they like. But we are the government."

The prime minister, however, said he will step down if he cannot work with people who are against him, when asked about fears of an impending fallout between the two leaders. 

"Well, there can be a fallout between me and many, many people. But I have always been able to stay and work with people who were against me," he remarked.

"I was there for 22 years. I had a lot of people who were against me ... but I managed. So, if I cannot manage, then I step down."

But can the prime minister offer an assurance to the Malaysian people that things are well in his coalition, almost 50 days in?

"At the moment, I think I have strong support from a majority of people," he said.

Edited by Uncle2
  • Praise 10

Instead of leading the country on how to make more money, Lau Beh just digs out all old contracts/agreements and tries to squeeze here there! Does he know that all signed contracts/agreements are binding?

Is he forward looking?

Let’s sub out the negotiations to our CECA butties..
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

Is he forward looking?

No point responding to the lao ma, I feel.

So far, all is just talk talk, with no official communication. Same for the HSR and same for the water issue.

Their purpose is mainly to generate headlines for domestic audience. SG can also remain silent over the water issue, same as they've done for the HSR.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 4

Twincharged

So far, all is just talk talk, with no official communication. Same for the HSR and same for the water issue.

Their purpose is mainly to generate headlines for domestic audience. SG can also remain silent over the water issue, same as they've done for the HSR.

The question now is who will be the best man to handle him beside current pm?

if water is si important to us, what have we done for the past 50 off years

we spent so much on military but if they turn off tap

we are screwed

complacency that a paper contract will do the trick

well at least now Hyflux is thrown with a lifeline

I think we are already in a better position, hence no extension of 1st water agreement that expired. Issue is that other ways of getting water is more expensive

• Praise 1

(edited)

Another amateur move by Dr M. While he cannot solve the trillion dollar debt crisis overnight he tries to distract his ppl by saying the 1962 water deal is too expensive. LoL...

He's pathetic. I won't even want to waste my time. Outta here.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

On HSR, Hui ge asked already. But no reply yet..

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/water-agreement-malaysia-singapore-mahathir-10467906

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

I think we are already in a better position, hence no extension of 1st water agreement that expired. Issue is that other ways of getting water is more expensive

hyflux just need to "tong" another 40 years ... then they will rise from the ashes of the phoenix !!

but by then the current boss already join the initial phoenix liow ...

dunno who teach him one leh ...

he thought win in election, then ALL his ideas are correct ??

signed and executed contract can rescind as long as not good for them ?? aspiring lawyers must this one must take down ... can make lots of money with this !!

Edited by Ysc3
  • Praise 1

Now on water.

But i do agree, 3sens for a thousand gallons is daylight robbery lah.

1960s till now, inflation at least chow chow also 20-30x or more

Pay people 30sens lah, have a bit of class sometimes even when others dont.

Muayhahahahahahahaah

If today Singapore was still a 3rd world country much much less developed than msia, will they reduce the price to ONE sen?

• Praise 1

If today Singapore was still a 3rd world country much much less developed than msia, will they reduce the price to ONE sen?

3 sens per thousand gallons is already 3rd world back in the 60s leh

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1