Car with best real world Fuel Consumption

Cantina

Turbocharged

Hmm if like that can also consider Shuttle petrol liao...that is if you dun mind PI la. Now I see no-frills version going for less than 78k. And you get decent fc (should be better than elantra) and glorious boot space for your barang barang. 1.5litre 130bhp, shouldn't lose to Avante.

But hmm think prices will go up in a few day due to VES 2.0.

If can really get Honda Shuttle at $78K, it's a steal for a Japan made & assembled car.

↡ Advertisement

If can really get Honda Shuttle at $78K, it's a steal for a Japan made & assembled car.

Indeed. Am just looking at the lowest advertised prices available in sgcarmart. But quality of PI is another matter though.

(edited)

How often do you maintain your washing machine?

Never. My 15-year old Miele is still running.

When the first automatic gearboxes came out, everybody distrusted them. Now you can hardly find a manual gearbox in Singapore.

When electronic steering first came out, everybody slammed it and said how it lacked the feels. Now variable steering is such a godsend going over 200. You don’t need to worry about sneezing.

The combustion engine is so complicated balancing air and fuel mixtures that a tiny deterioration will cause knocking and pre-ignitions. Hell, you have multiple controlled explosions less than 3 feet from your balls. And then you have to worry about the mating of that explosion chamber with your automatic gearbox.

Compared to the combustion engine, an electrical motor is so much simpler with less than a third of the parts. The combustion engine of a hybrid is likely to fail earlier than the electric motor.

Edited by LeftRighty

My KDK ceiling fan top of the range 5 blade fail at 5th yr without warning. 

My front load washing fail around 6th yr. 

Electrical motors have moving parts with wear and tear items within. Here's some areas they can fail. 

http://www.uesystems.com/news/the-50-failure-modes-of-electric-motors

Electrical circuit boards also have limited lifespan. Even Ssd drives without moving parts have limited lifespan.

Heat is the killer of anything electronics. 

Put both in the hot operating environment of car in a hot and humid place like Singapore.. You get the perfect recipe for early electronic failure. 

With combustion engine plus hybrid's electrical half of the equation, you have more than double the things to worry about. 

I sincerely hope my 4th year hybrid power control module failure along with resultant hybrid battery failure do not happen to any current owner of a PI hybrid car. 

Never. My 15-year old Miele is still running.

When the first automatic gearboxes came out, everybody distrusted them. Now you can hardly find a manual gearbox in Singapore.

When electronic steering first came out, everybody slammed it and said how it lacked the feels. Now variable steering is such a godsend going over 200. You don’t need to worry about sneezing.

The combustion engine is so complicated balancing air and fuel mixtures that a tiny deterioration will cause knocking and pre-ignitions. Hell, you have multiple controlled explosions less than 3 feet from your balls. And then you have to worry about the mating of that explosion chamber with your automatic gearbox.

Compared to the combustion engine, an electrical motor is so much simpler with less than a third of the parts. The combustion engine of a hybrid is likely to fail earlier than the electric motor.

What all these point to is that you shouldn’t venture into hybrid technology. Things fail for you. It doesn’t mean that they will fail for everybody else. Go check where the electric motors are. They are far from any combustion heat source. The physics of the two systems can be easily verified. These are not rocket science. We teach them these days to secondary school students.

BMW 216d

Wah unreachable for me....haha

@Cantina,

Looks like it's down to either the Hyundai Accent 1.4 @ $69K or Honda Jazz 1.3 @ $75K.

Jazz and Elantra are practically selling at the same price, but you get significantly  more space & metal  on the Elantra. And a saloon is safer in event of  a rear collission.

But if fuel economy is your criteria, then go for Jazz or Accent.

Don't really want Accent bcos it looks too much like my Avante, boring liao. Its also smaller.

But Jazz so cheap?? I thought Kah Motor selling 90k + for base model?

Hybrid's advantage is when driving at city, lots of stop/start, more jam more save compare to petrol cars.

VES1.0 ald killed lots of diesel car

the new elentra power is decent in 1.6 cars, better than the same engine used in K3. It's worth for money if u dun mind the plastic interior.

Dun mind plastic interior. Maybe will check the Elantra too.. But heavy car may be bad FC too. Not sure how much Hyundai improved since the Avante days...

(edited)

What all these point to is that you shouldn’t venture into hybrid technology. Things fail for you. It doesn’t mean that they will fail for everybody else. Go check where the electric motors are. They are far from any combustion heat source. The physics of the two systems can be easily verified. These are not rocket science. We teach them these days to secondary school students.

Ehh...relac leh bro....

I get your point and Vratenza point. Both not wrong, just different views.

Please dun turn my topic into Royal Rumble leh :D

Peace to all.

---

Okay this are the cars I will check out this weekend

Hope Will share my thoughts after I test them:

Hyundai:

-i30

-Ioniq

-Elantra

Honda:

-Shuttle (hybrid and non-hybrid)

-Jazz

-Vezel Hybrid

Others:

-Toyota Sienta Hybrid

-Kia Carens diesel (price look reasonable)

Thanks all for your valuable input and teaching me a thing or two about Hybrids and it's pro/cons.

Edited by Cantina
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

Ehh...relac leh bro....

I get your point and Vratenza point. Both not wrong, just different views.

Please dun turn my topic into Royal Rumble leh :D

Peace to all.

---

Hyundai:

-i30

-Ioniq

-Elantra

Honda:

-Jazz

-Vezel Hybrid

Others:

-Toyota Sienta Hybrid

Thanks all for your valuable input and teaching me a thing or two about Hybrids and it's pro/cons.

Hyundai is having a roadshow in Vivo city this week.

You can check out the i30, Ioniq, Elantra and Accent there.

Have fun car shopping. 

My friend’s 1.3 jazz returns around 14km/l for about 50/50 Highway/city. He watches his foot and seldom drive fast (like beyond 80km/h)

Turbocharged
(edited)

1) Don't really want Accent bcos it looks too much like my Avante, boring liao. Its also smaller.

2) But Jazz so cheap?? I thought Kah Motor selling 90k + for base model?

3) Dun mind plastic interior. Maybe will check the Elantra too.. But heavy car may be bad FC too. Not sure how much Hyundai improved since the Avante days...

1) Sit in the Accent and you'd be surprised at the spacious interior. The 1.4l engine also means it's more economical than your Avante

2) $90K+ is the published price - you need to go to the showroom for the actual price which is $74K

3) If you want to compare - your Avante is like a Geely CK and the new Elantra is like a Mercedes E200 in refinement

Edited by Vinceng

Turbocharged
(edited)

Hyundai:

-i30

-Ioniq

-Elantra

Honda:

-Jazz

-Vezel Hybrid

Others:

-Toyota Sienta Hybrid

My take is to stay away from hybrids unless you are using the car for private hire.

Hybrids are  significantly more expensive to purchase, and the battery costs a five figure sum to replace in mid life. Not all workshops have the proper  expertise to service hybrids.

These are good shortlists within $100K- 

- Hyundai Elantra

- Honda Shuttle / Jazz

- Toyota Sienta (non hybrid)

-  Kia Carens diesel

Edited by Vinceng

Petrol cost plus minus there, maintenance is the one that need to check on. Buy a cheap car and the saving can cover the 10 yr fuel cost.

Twincharged

My take is to stay away from hybrids unless you are using the car for private hire.

Hybrids are  significantly more expensive to purchase, and the battery costs a five figure sum to replace in mid life. Not all workshops have the proper  expertise to service hybrids.

These are good shortlists within $100K- 

- Hyundai Elantra

- Honda Shuttle / Jazz

- Toyota Sienta (non hybrid)

-  Kia Carens diesel

yeah. 1x battery replacement will wipe out all the fuel savings and more, if you don't clock high mileages.

My 2cents old sch thinking. Of cos, the younger generations might disagree

In terms of maintenance Ley-Jey-ness ranking, I would say:-

1) Manual cars ---- Not Ley-Jey

2) Auto cars -------- Quite Ley-Jey

3) Hybrid cars ----- Ley-Jey (I think, nvr own 1 before)

4) Electric cars ---- Very Ley-Jey (I think, nvr really research this)

• Praise 1

My 2cents old sch thinking. Of cos, the younger generations might disagree

In terms of maintenance Ley-Jey-ness ranking, I would say:-

1) Manual cars ---- Not Ley-Jey

2) Auto cars -------- Quite Ley-Jey

3) Hybrid cars ----- Ley-Jey (I think, nvr own 1 before)

4) Electric cars ---- Very Ley-Jey (I think, nvr really research this)

Remote control car runs on electric.  Need maintenance meh?

Hybrid car no diff from ICE car.  What's the ley jey?

Both manual and auto also need to change GB oil at about 100k km.

Remote control car runs on electric.  Need maintenance meh?

Hybrid car no diff from ICE car.  What's the ley jey?

Both manual and auto also need to change GB oil at about 100k km.

Haha, ur e.g of Remote Control Car is ridiculous ,,, but its really funny  [laugh] . Anyway, to each his own. I think Ley-Jey, u think not Ley-Jey. Doesn't matter  [wave]

↡ Advertisement