Can of worms: Malaysia warns of disease-carrying parasites

Ender

Hypersonic
(edited)

Cook your sardine first.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/can-of-worms-malaysia-warns-of-disease-carrying-parasites-in-canned-sardines-from-china

jtworm270618.jpg

Can of worms: Malaysia warns of disease-carrying parasites in canned sardines from China

PUTRAJAYA (BERNAMA) - The Malaysian Quarantine and Inspection Services (Maqis) has revealed that it found worms that can cause the anisakiasis disease in humans in samples of a brand of sardines from China brought in through the North Butterworth Container Terminal (NBCT) in Penang on May 14.

Maqis director-general Datuk Mokhtaruddin Husain said the worms were discovered through physical examination and sampling conducted on several sardine cans that arrived in two containers with an estimated weight of 36,720kg and valued at about RM200,000 (S$67,698.62).

The containers had been detained, he said in a statement on Tuesday (June 26).

The worms were likely to be from the genus Anisakis spp, which causes the anisakiasis disease in humans. The disease normally occurs when humans eat seafood such as raw fish or fish that is not fully cooked and infected with the Anisakis spp parasite, he said.

Anisakiasis is a parasitic and zoonotic disease in which the Anisakis spp nematode (worm) carried by fish attacks the gastrointestinal system, such as the stomach and intestines of humans, and can cause gastrointestinal problems or symptoms such as abdominal pain, diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting.

Mr Mokhtaruddin said the act of importing any plant, animal, carcass, fish, agricultural product, soil or microorganism with pests, diseases or contaminants was an offence under Section 14 of the Malaysian Quarantine and Inspection Services Act 2011.

The case is being investigated for further action, he said.

Edited by Ender
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

(edited)

Cook your sardine first.

Can of worms: Malaysia warns of disease-carrying parasites in canned sardines from china

:D

Edited by Jamesc

Canned sardines are cooked.. so there's no danger. I would say any brand of canned sardines can contain parasite worm.

Supersonic

Canned sardines are cooked.. so there's no danger. I would say any brand of canned sardines can contain parasite worm.

You encountered before?  :blink:

(edited)

You encountered before? :blink:

If you ever process fish, sooner or later you will encounter worm in the flesh, it's just nature. You can YouTube easily.

Even sashimi, some countries require very deep freeze for a period of time before consumption in order to kill parasites.

So no real worry, imo, canned food being pressure cooked, it's safe... Even if it may not look good

Edited by Playtime
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

If you ever process fish, sooner or later you will encounter worm in the flesh, it's just nature. You can YouTube easily.

Even sashimi, some countries require very deep freeze for a period of time before consumption in order to kill parasites.

So no real worry, imo, canned food being pressure cooked, it's safe... Even if it may not look good

I worry is the worms came after it was processed, due to unhygienic workplace.

Supercharged

I worry is the worms came after it was processed, due to unhygienic workplace.

Normally the can are heated at high temperature after sealed so all germs will be destroyed
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Normally the can are heated at high temperature after sealed so all germs will be destroyed

I also wonder how can the worms or the eggs survive the high heat treatment during the canning process.

I consume around 1 can sardines per week. But Ayam brand.

Hypersonic
(edited)

6 more can added to the list.  Mackerel fish also affected. Is it possible that the high heat processed after canning were skipped to save cost and time?

Look out for these brands.

TL Tan Lung 

TLC

Cinta,

Sea Fresh

HS Brand

as well as mackerel fish in tomato sauce from

the King Cup,

Star Cup

TC Boy brands.

8 canned fish brands found with worms

PETALING JAYA • Malaysia's Health Ministry has found six more brands of canned fish to be contaminated with roundworms.

This comes after two canned sardine brands from China - TL Tan Lung and TLC - were recalled after they were found to be contaminated with the parasites.

The minister said the six products contaminated with roundworms are canned sardine brands from Cinta, Sea Fresh and HS Brand as well as mackerel in tomato sauce from the King Cup, Star Cup and TC Boy brands.

The ministry said the worms are from the genus Anisakis spp, which causes the anisakiasis disease in humans that normally occurs when humans eat seafood such as raw or not fully cooked fish infected with the parasite.

The disease can cause gastrointestinal problems or symptoms such as abdominal pain, diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting.

However, health director-general Noor Hisham Abdullah gave the assurance that the health risk in the contaminated canned products is "very low" because the worms would have died during the cooking process.

THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

Edited by Ender

My dog poo also has flies hatching out. Ok ok i know.

Maybe its eggs or hatched worms in fish that took some time and left in unprotected spaces before processing.

Dog food may be using aged meat...

AVA....

Hypersonic

My dog poo also has flies hatching out. Ok ok i know.

Maybe its eggs or hatched worms in fish that took some time and left in unprotected spaces before processing.

Dog food may be using aged meat...

AVA....

eggs also will be destroy by high heat process. I think high chance they skipped the process. China factory, not surprising whenever cost and time matter more than safety.

i will be careful when processing Maling luncheon meat... [laugh]

Its not safe. 

Don't eat it.

Pass to me.  [thumbsup]

:D

• Praise 3