Where can you get a nice complete meal for <$5 in Singapore?

therock

I actually thought very hard on editing, but fristly the title will be way too long.. so let's leave it..

Anyway, it's nice meal, so yes $5 can feed us, but it may not be "nice"..

So let's list the ones which taste good, and is also good for our pockets..

Sembawang Hawker Centre - kway chap there, only $3, and it's filling. Enough $$ leftover for a nice sugar cane..

https://www.burpple.com/san-ba-wang-guo-zhi-shu-shi

↡ Advertisement

Already added in "in Singapore" to the title, in case someone started to talk about food in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc. etc. (without reading TS 1st post - which is extremely common in MCF) :D :D

• Praise 6

Hypersonic

I actually thought very hard on editing, but fristly the title will be way too long.. so let's leave it..

Anyway, it's nice meal, so yes $5 can feed us, but it may not be "nice"..

So let's list the ones which taste good, and is also good for our pockets..

Sembawang Hawker Centre - kway chap there, only $3, and it's filling. Enough $$ leftover for a nice sugar cane..

https://www.burpple.com/san-ba-wang-guo-zhi-shu-shi

"nice" is subjective lah.

how do you define "nice"?  What is "nice" to me, mayb rubbish to you leh. 

To a person who cannot live without meat, the best vegetarian food is just not appealing leh. Nice meh? 

Even how well the food can fill you up is also subjective, just as 1 bowl of noodle cannot fill me up, I usually need 2 ( thats how my 10 bucks come about). But some ppl cannot finish that same bowl. 

Yep... I used to eat two portions at Hans... well actually I still can do it.. but it only goes to one place now..

When I ordered Wanton noodles, I used to order twice the amount of noodles.. these days.. sigh..

Supersonic

NUS Engineering canteen.. Food portion is generous, cheap(especially cai png) and drinks are mostly under a dollar. 

I only find NUS Arts canteen food is not bad, but think last time only, now heard not nice liao.

Twincharged

My army days was the only time i put on the heaviest ... free food , to me was a heaven.

sorry bro

cheapskate spotted

• Praise 2

I only find NUS Arts canteen food is not bad, but think last time only, now heard not nice liao.

Depends on what vintage are you..

In the 90s, there was a really good char kway teoh stall.

Now the yong tau foo is still very good and the rest of the stalls are cheap.

But don't go after 1130, it will be rather crowded..

sorry bro

cheapskate spotted

hahaha bo bian bro ...... poor family even army food is better than home food.  :D  

And during my time , the hard boil eggs were dark brown in color , not white . The vege was black not green .

Damn , I cant recall how I swallowed them down  :XD:  

PS: Not the same swallow as what @vid will do  :grin:

Twincharged

I think most people forgot that what makes a nice meal is also the presence of a good company enjoying the meal with you.

So far from my "spies" all the girls that gone out with Tiamno, all the girls said meal excellent.

Can say very much for Radx, all the girls say seepay hot

For Staff69, all girls said the same thing, he only got eyes for just one person S Q

As for Merc, the girls who wants to bring him out said, he always say busy no time to eat, property market on the move

Some here quite a salesman, girls gone out with him happy happy got a free meal but in the end lost thousands of dollars, kena con buying a lolex

too many to describe but in short, there you have it, the company also matters whether the food is shiok or not

the other point is what is the point if the meal cost less than 5 bucks but is tasteless 

most like me would rather save up go for a value for money meal that is shiok that may cost more than 5 bucks but not those that include ambience in the price

in life I find it ironical

if you have money in the bank, the bank will call you to ask you to borrow money from them BUT if you desperately need they wont lend you so easily

if you are rich and famous, you literally get many things free, free accommodation, free food, free this and that, lots of free events to attend

if you are rich you get steep discounts and sometimes free but if you are not so rich you always pay full price for everything

if you are a crook but filthy rich, people "respect" you and come to you for advice

if you are poor you have very free friends but once you become rich your friends grow, so no need to think about $5 meal

• Praise 7

Hypersonic

hahaha bo bian bro ...... poor family even army food is better than home food.  :D  

And during my time , the hard boil eggs were dark brown in color , not white . The vege was black not green .

Damn , I cant recall how I swallowed them down  :XD:  

PS: Not the same swallow as what @vid will do  :grin:

I dun swallow -_-

• Praise 1

(edited)

I can get a plate of roast duck rice $3 and a cup of coffee at $1. Coffee tiam

all of you standard superb high.

Edited by Kopites

Supersonic

Cai peng with kopi less than $5 is possible in many places.

City area most likely can still find in those hawker in Chinatown, Beach Rd, Golden Shoe, etc.

Another option is eateries like Eatz set meals.

Actually what is your definition of a "complete meal" siah? Complete with soup, meat, vege, drink etc...?? A bowl of noodles to me it's like street food, not really complete imo.

I think different individuals here have different taste. Not to mention the diverse culture in our society. Your bowl of noodles may contain lard, which some folks do not take ie Muslim, vegan...

I think it's better you ask other ppl of different race and culture to share their preference as well. I mean not just your personal taste.

(edited)

If you want to talk about one of the early street food the one I can think of is Sungei Road Laksa at Jln Besar.

You can read more about it here.

https://thebondingtool.com/2013/12/03/sungei-road-laksa-%E7%BB%93%E9%9C%9C%E6%A1%A5%E5%8F%BB%E6%B2%99/

My father told me back dan the unker sold his laksa from a pot by the roadside near the Rochor Canal. A lot of blue collar workers either stand around or squat there and enjoy the bowl of laksa which cost only 20cents. No chopstick, only a spoon is provided. Today it's sold  at a coffee shop some distance away from the Rochor Canal. See above link.

To me I have tried it....it's not that fantastic but to ppl like my father I guess the taste brings back nostalgic memories of the past.

Edited by Watwheels

Hypersonic

I think most people forgot that what makes a nice meal is also the presence of a good company enjoying the meal with you.

So far from my "spies" all the girls that gone out with Tiamno, all the girls said meal excellent.

Can say very much for Radx, all the girls say seepay hot

For Staff69, all girls said the same thing, he only got eyes for just one person S Q

As for Merc, the girls who wants to bring him out said, he always say busy no time to eat, property market on the move

Some here quite a salesman, girls gone out with him happy happy got a free meal but in the end lost thousands of dollars, kena con buying a lolex

too many to describe but in short, there you have it, the company also matters whether the food is shiok or not

the other point is what is the point if the meal cost less than 5 bucks but is tasteless

most like me would rather save up go for a value for money meal that is shiok that may cost more than 5 bucks but not those that include ambience in the price

in life I find it ironical

if you have money in the bank, the bank will call you to ask you to borrow money from them BUT if you desperately need they wont lend you so easily

if you are rich and famous, you literally get many things free, free accommodation, free food, free this and that, lots of free events to attend

if you are rich you get steep discounts and sometimes free but if you are not so rich you always pay full price for everything

if you are a crook but filthy rich, people "respect" you and come to you for advice

if you are poor you have very free friends but once you become rich your friends grow, so no need to think about $5 meal

your mcf forum in which parallel universe?

where you find so many girls?

Supersonic

Char kway teoh stall indeed not bad and the western stall also quite nice.

Turbocharged

NUS Engineering canteen.. Food portion is generous, cheap(especially cai png) and drinks are mostly under a dollar.

Sorry to say, I graduated 22 years ago, Engine’s canteen food was the least palatable among all the faculties’ canteens.

Arts and Sciences canteens beat Engine hands down every time.

The char kway teow owners at the Arts canteen retired in early 2000’s after their son graduated from Medicine faculty.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4