Pioneer AVH-Z9150BT

Reo

You didn't specify the model and the map - I assumed it's 9150.  

When using CP or AA, the GPS comes from your phone, not the HU.  Try re-installing the app or using another app.  Occasionally, Google map on CP went crazy on me, not able to locked on my location,  In these occasions, Waze works well.

Updating the firmware to the latest might help too.

Hoping someone may be able to help, I have installed my hu and when I use with android auto on maps the GPS is always searching. Have I done something wrong with the install? Should there be a GPS antenna connected somewhere?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

You didn't specify the model and the map - I assumed it's 9150.

When using CP or AA, the GPS comes from your phone, not the HU. Try re-installing the app or using another app. Occasionally, Google map on CP went crazy on me, not able to locked on my location, In these occasions, Waze works well.

Updating the firmware to the latest might help too.

Thanks so much, that is what I thought but when I asked the supplier they told me that the GPS would have been installed incorrectly which confused me.

Thanks so much, that is what I thought but when I asked the supplier they told me that the GPS would have been installed incorrectly which confused me.

No. For z9150bt the gps signal is from the gps antenna. Only z9150bt uses the gps antenna provided for our maps.

No. For z9150bt the gps signal is from the gps antenna. Only z9150bt uses the gps antenna provided for our maps.

post-212940-0-43474300-1548646855_thumb.jpeg

Neutral Newbie

Ah just realised I might be on the wrong forum, I have a avh-z5150bt. Does anyone know if i should have a antenna for the GPS?

Ah just realised I might be on the wrong forum, I have a avh-z5150bt. Does anyone know if i should have a antenna for the GPS?

Z5150bt uses phone’s own gps.

Updated my Samsung S9 to Android pie. But can't connect through Wireless Android Auto.

Anyone has successfully done so?

I'm very interested to find out as well. Sporadic reports that wireless AA was working with one of the beta Android pies on S9, nothing concrete yet

Just because the 9150 came with a GPS antenna and the installer put it on the dashboard doesn't mean when using map app on CP or AA it's being used.

The antenna is there in case Pioneer came out with a 9150's native navigation which at this stage, I don't see any here in SG.  Native means on the HU itself, not using AA or CP.

attachicon.gif9CD87E8B-19E2-4D54-9C48-8EC935AFC126.jpeg

Just because the 9150 came with a GPS antenna and the installer put it on the dashboard doesn't mean when using map app on CP or AA it's being used.

The antenna is there in case Pioneer came out with a 9150's native navigation which at this stage, I don't see any here in SG. Native means on the HU itself, not using AA or CP.

No. I had the gps problem for 3 weeks and finally resolved it by placing the gps on the dash for my CarPlay maps(any maps) in order to work proper. I have confirmation from pioneer technician also. I believe their sales have released this information to all installers already.

Anyone with gps issue should contact pioneer to confirm this.

I'm rather surprised with what you found.  Could you elaborate what the problem you encountered was and the steps done, including the placement of the 9150 GPS antenna... leading to your conclusion?

IIRC, I've talked to a Pioneer support staff who told me exactly what I said in my previous post, supported by my tech savvy.

No. I had the gps problem for 3 weeks and finally resolved it by placing the gps on the dash for my CarPlay maps(any maps) in order to work proper. I have confirmation from pioneer technician also. I believe their sales have released this information to all installers already.

Anyone with gps issue should contact pioneer to confirm this.

I'm rather surprised with what you found. Could you elaborate what the problem you encountered was and the steps done, including the placement of the 9150 GPS antenna... leading to your conclusion?

IIRC, I've talked to a Pioneer support staff who told me exactly what I said in my previous post, supported by my tech savvy.

It started with my installer placing my gps inside the HU compartment which I believe causes interference to my CarPlay maps because they thought the gps should be from the phone. Whenever I plug in my CarPlay via cable the maps on the unit will show wrong coordinate and when I unplug it the map in my phone will move back to the correct position.

I pestered my installer until they gave me another new unit and the results are the same. Another user had the same problem and told me that after his installer placed the gps on the middle of the dash his CarPlay maps started working proper. So I ask my installer to do the same and therefore rectified finally rectified my CarPlay map problem.

Probably it will be better that you call pioneer and contact the technician for HU support. His name is Vincent and he will advice you accordingly.post-212940-0-80276700-1548727574_thumb.png just one of the screenshot showing my position in the water when I am in Sembawang.

It started with my installer placing my gps inside the HU compartment which I believe causes interference to my CarPlay maps because they thought the gps should be from the phone. Whenever I plug in my CarPlay via cable the maps on the unit will show wrong coordinate and when I unplug it the map in my phone will move back to the correct position.

I pestered my installer until they gave me another new unit and the results are the same. Another user had the same problem and told me that after his installer placed the gps on the middle of the dash his CarPlay maps started working proper. So I ask my installer to do the same and therefore rectified finally rectified my CarPlay map problem.

Probably it will be better that you call pioneer and contact the technician for HU support. His name is Vincent and he will advice you accordingly.attachicon.gif781B0B24-AF6B-4507-B7A2 1325490AA3B8.png just one of the screenshot showing my position in the water when I am in Sembawang.

its part of apple carplay specifications where some HU will use the built in GPS for car play.  the installer is a cuckoo who doesn't have the common sense to place the antenna on the dash.

Thanks for the details.

It's the same Vincent who I talked to some time back.

The GPS antenna should be a passive device, but it could be affecting the HU (especially when it's placed near the HU.

I'm using wireless CP, and very rarely encountered the Gmap issue I mentioned earlier.  It works most of the time.

Which map did you use in wired CP ?

Probably it will be better that you call pioneer and contact the technician for HU support. His name is Vincent and he will advice you accordingly.attachicon.gif781B0B24-AF6B-4507-B7A2 1325490AA3B8.png just one of the screenshot showing my position in the water when I am in Sembawang.

its part of apple carplay specifications where some HU will use the built in GPS for car play.  the installer is a cuckoo who doesn't have the common sense to place the antenna on the dash.

From what i know most installers was not properly informed about this maybe because previous Z5050/5150 all uses phone own GPS(i had the 5150 previously). So probably they assumed the same.

Also from my impression, most local audio shops are not that tech savvy in what they are selling except good workmanship and skilled in tuning music only. They do not have time to learn things that do not add more $ to feed their family. :)

my 2cents...

Thanks for the details.

It's the same Vincent who I talked to some time back.

The GPS antenna should be a passive device, but it could be affecting the HU (especially when it's placed near the HU.

I'm using wireless CP, and very rarely encountered the Gmap issue I mentioned earlier.  It works most of the time.

Which map did you use in wired CP ?

I tried both wired and wireless CP and for any maps that requires the gps.

You can contact Vincent now since i imparted Eighteen Dragon-Subduing Palms to him! LOL  :yuush: 

(remarks: GPS must me connected and placed in somewhere cleared of interference.)

Edited by Fumio74

Since we are on CP topic. Can i ask if you use siri to read whatsapp messages to you?

if you have 10 or 20 unread messages does siri read 10 or 20 unread messages continuously to you?

Sometimes when i have 40 unread messages for example, i think siri only reads 5-10 messages to me. Not sure if it is a issue or not.

i think my previous 5150 can read all messages continuously but i cannot verify now.

Any Advice?

Yesterday, I tried to verify for you.  There was a good 100 unread messages in a GC.  The read-out seems to stop after a while,  Since it's reading so quickly one message after another, I lost count quite quickly.  But it seemed it was no more than 20 before stopping by itself.  I found when reading different chat, the pace was comfortable but when reading many messages in the same chat in one go, it was gibberish at best.

Hope above little anecdote helps. 

As for my usage, I really don't like to read messages while driving as it disrupts listening pleasure and when there are too many messages to read, it's hazardous.  Occasional messages that come in that's when I enjoyed the hands free readout and marvelled at modern technology.

It could be a CP safety feature.  

Since we are on CP topic. Can i ask if you use siri to read whatsapp messages to you?

if you have 10 or 20 unread messages does siri read 10 or 20 unread messages continuously to you?

Sometimes when i have 40 unread messages for example, i think siri only reads 5-10 messages to me. Not sure if it is a issue or not.

i think my previous 5150 can read all messages continuously but i cannot verify now.

Any Advice?

Yesterday, I tried to verify for you.  There was a good 100 unread messages in a GC.  The read-out seems to stop after a while,  Since it's reading so quickly one message after another, I lost count quite quickly.  But it seemed it was no more than 20 before stopping by itself.  I found when reading different chat, the pace was comfortable but when reading many messages in the same chat in one go, it was gibberish at best.

Hope above little anecdote helps. 

As for my usage, I really don't like to read messages while driving as it disrupts listening pleasure and when there are too many messages to read, it's hazardous.  Occasional messages that come in that's when I enjoyed the hands free readout and marvelled at modern technology.

It could be a CP safety feature.  

Thank you for the verification Reo!  [thumbsup]

Hi MKL, do you have the links to the specifications you mentioned.

I came across this and the writer said inconclusive: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/does-carplay-use-hu-gps-or-phone-gps.2105224/

As Gmap and Waze are on CP only recently, I'm still of the opinion at the least, both Gmap and Waze CP apps are slaving from the phone.  Also since both are rather new, occasional glitches could be due to bugs: https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/28/17913786/google-maps-waze-apple-carplay-iphone-ios-12-review

its part of apple carplay specifications where some HU will use the built in GPS for car play. 

↡ Advertisement