Chinese tourist boat capsizes near Phuket

Jman888

not a good summer in Thailand and Thai divers were kept busy   [sweatdrop]  [sweatdrop]

Death toll rises to 21 after Chinese tourist boat capsizes near Phuket: Official
06 Jul 2018  (Updated: 06 Jul 2018 04:30PM)

phuket-boat-recovery-2.jpg
Thai rescue personnel transfer a body © at the Chalong pier in Phuket on July 6, 2018, as rescue operations continue for missing tourists following a boating accident on July 5. (Photo: AFP/Mohd Rasfan) 

PHUKET: The death toll from a boat accident near the Thai holiday island of Phuket has risen to 21, officials said Friday (Jul 6), as divers reported seeing multiple bodies inside the sunken hull of the Phoenix tourist vessel.

Phuket provincial rescue centre said "21 bodies" had been retrieved from the water, while Rear Admiral Charoenphon Khumrasee of the Thai navy said divers had seen "over 10 bodies" inside the submerged boat, which was carrying Chinese tourists when it went down on Thursday.

phuket-boat-recovery-3.jpg
Thai rescue personnel carry a body bag bearing the recovered body of a passenger from a capsized tourist boat at Chalong pier in Phuket on July 6, 2018. (Photo: AFP/Mohd Rasfan) 

The Phoenix was carrying 105 passengers, the majority of whom were Chinese tourists, when it hit trouble, sparking a rescue attempt that took place in the dark.

Forty-eight people - passengers and crew - were rescued before the operation was suspended late Thursday.

phuket-boat-recovery-4.jpg
Thai rescue personnel carry a body bag bearing the recovered body of a passenger from a capsized tourist boat at Chalong pier in Phuket on July 6, 2018. (Photo: AFP/Mohd Rasfan) 

Thailand is already in the global spotlight for a dramatic rescue mission in the north of the country, after 12 boys and their football coach were trapped in a cave complex.

Stunned survivors of the boat accident huddled in blankets on a Phuket pier late Thursday.

The Phoenix was among several boats that appeared to have ignored a severe weather warning in place since Wednesday to take tourists on day-trips to the islands that dot the seas off Phuket.

A Chinese consular official arrived at the operations centre in Phuket to monitor the rescue effort.

Phuket is a magnet for overseas visitors including Western sun-seekers and huge numbers of Chinese tourists who make up the bulk of the 35 million people expected to visit the kingdom this year.

Thailand has a poor health and safety record and accidents are common on its roads and busy waterways - especially in tourist areas during the monsoon season which is now biting.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

not a good summer in Thailand and Thai divers were kept busy [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

欺山莫欺水, this one is really not say say only.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

What a tragedy ...... quote:

Thai junta number two Prawit Wongsuwon ordered an investigation into why "the boat went to sea" despite a weather warning, while Thai police said they would seek to charge the captain and owner with negligence.

The Phoenix was among several boats that appeared to have ignored a warning in place since Wednesday not to take tourists on day-trips to the islands that dot the seas off Phuket.

In another tragedy(6/7/18)  Thai airforce plane crashed. In accordance to their military system, the 3 pilots/crew were promoted to Maj-Gen.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/security/1498778/army-officers-killed-in-plane-crash-get-big-promotions

c1_1498778_620x413.jpg

Three army lieutenants who died when their patrol plane crashed on Thursday will receive posthumous promotion to the rank of major-general, as investigators try to find our why the plane went down.

Twincharged

better ask Radx

may be some escape last year and did not return after gate close

but on a serious note

after the tsuanmi I heard from the thais themselves they avoid those places because there are plenty of lonely drown soul looking for company

take care

prevention is better than cure

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

These boat operators always overload the boat.

Pls buy and bring along life jacket if you intend to do island hoping.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

These boat operators always overload the boat.

Pls buy and bring along life jacket if you intend to do island hoping.

The straits times reported that the boat was not overloaded. Rather the incident is ignoring the warning of no go given difficult weather conditions.
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic
(edited)

The straits times reported that the boat was not overloaded. Rather the incident is ignoring the warning of no go given difficult weather conditions.

They probably made a judgement call based on their experience. I think a Chinese tourist also said the storm came suddenly.

It's like see got cat1 warning but seems OK for now. Let's go training.

Edited by Lala81

(edited)

Sometimes PRC tour groups can be quite demanding and difficult to handle.

I will not be surprised that they might have pressured the boat captain or the company to launch the ride despite the storm warning.

All the back to back itinerary in the group tour must proceed before they are satisfied they get their money's worth.

Still.... my condolences to the deceased. :a-rip:

Edited by Vratenza
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic

I will not be surprised that they might have pressured the boat captain or the company to launch the ride despite the storm warning.

All the back to back itinerary in the group tour must proceed before they are satisfied they get their money's worth.

That is what I am think also.

Had read too many news of chinese group maķing all the noise when flight was delay due to bad weather.

Though a tragic accident, I see your point. I have personally seen prc pressuring Thai tour guides in Krabi why this and why that cannot.... Some even said, "they only want more money, we have, I don't belive they won't do it seeing our monies!"
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

They probably made a judgement call based on their experience. I think a Chinese tourist also said the storm came suddenly.

It's like see got cat1 warning but seems OK for now. Let's go training.

Once I was in Beijing intending to take a domestic flight to Shanghai.

Then in the afternoon we were told all flights were progressively cancelled due to bad weather in Beijing's airport.

Looked outside the window it was still bright and sunny.

Then later in the evening when I was supposed to fly, it really rained hail stones

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

safety is always an issue traveling in such countries. i was in Vietnam in mekong river. suddendly it rain so heavily even the boat rower panic. we have to climb up a bigger boat and luckily nobody fall over. 

• Praise 1

Supercharged
(edited)

Thailand has always had lousy safety records and incidents over the years. Only difference is instead of 30 tourists dying we have 30 from PRC and when that happens you see reports all fly out cos their big bro Xi is personally looking at the issue or there are 1 million Chinese baying for blood back home.

Internet and social media.....real disruptor.

Edited by Piyopico

Hypersonic

China have to look at their own tour companies that arrange this.

:D

Tourist also have to know time they go and weather conditions.

A lot of people go holiday no clue about season or weather conditions.

Like go holy lands and never realise night time can be really cold and street traders doing big business selling heavy jackets.

Thailand has always had lousy safety records and incidents over the years. Only difference is instead of 30 tourists dying we have 30 from PRC and when that happens you see reports all fly out cos their big bro Xi is personally looking at the issue or there are 1 million Chinese baying for blood back home.

Internet and social media.....real disruptor.

Relatives burn down the tour operator shop?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1