Why does Dealers dangling discounts raises concerns

Supersonic

The make/models I looked at are not affected by July VES la. Its becomes ADs profit margin. I know how the system works inside out.

VES is a leverage for ADs to jack up the price since it is a tax belongs to the govt and not their profit.

Even if the model is neutral, ADs also may up the price a bit to make other models look more attractive with VES to allow consumers to choose and weigh in their criteria. Some buyers may not mind if the VES incurs a bit more than the neutral model if the price difference is only about 10k.

If not, how can the ADs do business, when other models cannot sell, and models with the neutral bands have limited stocks?

↡ Advertisement

For those who monitors the movement of new car prices for the past few months would notice the prices of some new cars did not actually come down despite the fall of COE prices. In fact, some car price even went up! I dun wanna mention Makes/models here. Like you had mentioned, buying a car in $ingapore is basically a scam! Getting AD to bid for COE is a big conflict of interest. Car industry should be regulated by the gov just like the property market! But nothing has been done since! Really is r*t from the top! :pissed-off:

Examples will be altis standard.

Last year selling 90k with 40k coe.

Now selling 91k with 25k coe.lol....

• Praise 3

Supersonic

It is as simple as bidding for COE using SingPass will remove all uncertainties in the mkt.

In addition, it will encourage financial prudence since potential buyer need to pay $$$ for COE.

Unfortunately, this change has no upside for LTA.

I have been advocating bidding COE via SingPass for the longest time.

No diff la. Won’t be surprised if some goons will give dealers their singpass password for bidding to ‘enjoy the convenience’

No diff la. Won’t be surprised if some goons will give dealers their singpass password for bidding to ‘enjoy the convenience’

Giving away SingPass means dealers can see personal details like CPF, Income tax and whatever.

Sure boh?

Well, can always keep open cat for non-singpass bidding.

Supersonic

Giving away SingPass means dealers can see personal details like CPF, Income tax and whatever.

Sure boh?

Well, can always keep open cat for non-singpass bidding.

There’ll always be trusting souls who think the car dealer is their new BFF juz becoz he threw in free car mats.....

Even if buyer bid themselves, dealers will simply tell them how much to bid otherwise ‘cannot get car’ or ‘price going up soon’

• Praise 1

There’ll always be trusting souls who think the car dealer is their new BFF juz becoz he threw in free car mats.....

If they are such trusting souls, [lipsrsealed]

(edited)

Even if buyer bid themselves, dealers will simply tell them how much to bid otherwise ‘cannot get car’ or ‘price going up soon’

Good for govt lor since there are such a group of naive buyers.

With self-bidding, COE is stripped out of selling price.  That will provide stability and clarity over time.

Edited by Davidtch
  • Praise 2

IMO the car "cooling measures" are killing the automotive business. If the car dealers just sit there and do nothing it will be tough to cover paycheques and running cost. I think dealers to avoid are those small PIs that can anytime go bust. The trend is already there. If it looks too good to be true...stay away.

After a while when things stabilize ppl will still buy new cars.

VES is a leverage for ADs to jack up the price since it is a tax belongs to the govt and not their profit.

Even if the model is neutral, ADs also may up the price a bit to make other models look more attractive with VES to allow consumers to choose and weigh in their criteria. Some buyers may not mind if the VES incurs a bit more than the neutral model if the price difference is only about 10k.

If not, how can the ADs do business, when other models cannot sell, and models with the neutral bands have limited stocks?

This table from one motoring pretty much says it all!

U say somemore I give u dislikes. [:p]  :D

Car_Cost_Update.pdf

• Praise 4

Turbocharged
(edited)

Examples will be altis standard.

Last year selling 90k with 40k coe.

Now selling 91k with 25k coe.lol....

last year was the old model if i'm not wrong? the latest comes with 7 airbags even for the basic model. and this year the car affected by 10k VES. Think that's why still almost the same price. 

Edited by Dafansu
  • Praise 1

It is as simple as bidding for COE using SingPass will remove all uncertainties in the mkt.

In addition, it will encourage financial prudence since potential buyer need to pay $$$ for COE.

Unfortunately, this change has no upside for LTA.

I have been advocating bidding COE via SingPass for the longest time.

totally agree. LTA can allow more transparency in the car buying process by unbundling COE and VES. This also protect the buyers. As of now, AD can hold your $10K for 6 bids (3 mth) and some PI can hold them forever (got ample time to collect and run),   

(edited)

Yes. BM is taking buyers as fools or what?

U try MI.

When coe is at sub $40k, the BRZ cost $126k.

Coe at $31k today, The BRZ cost $137k.

Do note that the BRZ is not affected by July VES.

When I asked the SE why the price hike, he said all Performance models price to increase cos Ah Seng wants more profit!

I smiled and walked away....

My friend used to say we sinkies had a common middle name, Robert.

Yeah, now I believe. :D

Edited by Aaronlkl
  • Praise 5

totally agree. LTA can allow more transparency in the car buying process by unbundling COE and VES. This also protect the buyers. As of now, AD can hold your $10K for 6 bids (3 mth) and some PI can hold them forever (got ample time to collect and run),

Future buyer to bid for own coe, not to get dealer involved. Then take the coe to buy car from dealer. The coe amount is to be paid in full no loan allowed...only then people will bid what they could afford.

Wouldn't this see a more sensible coe? But of course the garment coffers would be reduced

• Praise 1

All this COE, VES, PARF alphabet soups are just smokescreens to ensure that car ownership is available to a select segment of the population.

It is futile to over-analyse these schemes because at the end of the day it is about maintaining affordability at a certain percentage for a certain population of cars on the road.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

This table from one motoring pretty much says it all!

U say somemore I give u dislikes. [:p]   :D

U try MI.

When coe is at sub $40k, the BRZ cost $126k.

Coe at $31k today, The BRZ cost $137k.

Do note that the BRZ is not affected by July VES.

When I asked the SE why the price hike, he said all Performance models price to increase cos Ah Seng wants more profit!

I smiled and walked away....

My friend used to say we sinkies had a common middle name, Robert.

Yeah, now I believe. :D

They have their pricing strategies to compete with their competitors.

Can say that the SE is talking cock and entertain you with such a lousy reason. 

Obviously they are not allowed to disclose their business strategy la.

SE words mostly cannot trust la.

↡ Advertisement