Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:39 PM
Met Amanda from VCS at 2pm on Fri to collect the car. Signed the agreement form and proceeded to take delivery of the car. Amanda gave me a very detailed brief of the car from exterior to interior, it was like I bought a brand new car. She handed the car over with full tank of fuel and there is no top-up required by me. And I was also surprised that VCS allowed me to drive the car to Malaysia. However I was not able to due to commitments in SG, attending NDP preview.
First look at the Golf GTI exterior, it was stunning, looks big. Mine is white colour. The distinctive red GTI line across the front from head lamp to head lamp stands out, typical of the GTI heritage. The LED headlight and DRS was so beautiful, I liked it. The rest of the body was similar to the rest of the Golf cars. The rear lamps was nothing different to me. And this Golf GTI comes with front sunroof, thou I am not a fan of sunroofs.
Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:40 PM
1. The electric seat was unable to move up or down vertically. Thus, my seating position was quite high up. Thou my head not touching the roof yet. But very weird for me when looking down at the dials at a higher position.
2. Steering wheel at the lowest position is hitting my knee. I could steer the car with my knees. Need to set it towards me, thus my arms are more bent than my usual driving position.
3. There is a right foot rest next to the accelerator pedal. Having a size 14 US foot does not help at all. I was always stepping on the foot rest instead of the accelerator pedal and wonder why the car was not accelerating. Ha ha ha. Always need to make a conscious effort to move my feet slightly left. Then when I do that, I would step slightly on the brake too. I guess it is a matter of getting used to the pedal positions which for me, 3 days was not enough.
But I believe, these annoying stuff only happens to me. Average size man/woman wouldn’t encounter such problem in the Golf GTI. Too bad, a giant has to test drive this car. There was little leg room for the rear passenger behind me due to my driving position.
My wife was also not impressed that such an expensive car does not come with electric seat for the front passenger!!! She is too pampered with electric seat for my past two cars. But come on VW, cars at this price range, an extra electric seat will not increase the OMV too much. She also does not like the sports seat, especially at the thigh area where it wraps around your thighs. Cos as she enters the car, she has to overcome these high supports to seat down.
Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:43 PM
The headunit was also a LED touchscreen 9” display. It was brightly lit and not affected by bright sunshine. Amanda explained in detailed to me where and what to touch, press, swap and swipe with gesture control. However, I forgot 50% of what she taught me the moment she left the car. Ha ha ha. Too much info to absorb. It was on the correct radio channel, Class95 and that was all I needed. And as long as there is music from the speakers. However, I found some hiccups of the system.
1. I cant find the mute button anywhere. So I just lower the volume to zero. There is no volume loudness number like from 0 to 100 to indicate the volume. Only a thin line turning red as u increase the volume at the top of the screen. So I don’t know if it is the same volume whenever I had to turn up or down the volume.
2. The map database. Amanda told me that it was the latest map. Surprisingly, there is no road from CTE to Seletar West Link. Also Yishun Ave 8 is only halfway completed. And 11 Woodlands Close the factory is still an empty land. Need further map update, Amanda was telling me next update is in Sep this year.
Overall, to me the system is well made and satisfy a simple user like me who just needs some basic functions.
There are proximity sensors all around the car and they are always turned on. I find it rather annoying especially when in traffic. Sometimes, I suddenly hear a beep and thought some thing happened to the car when a motorbike pass by. Even driving next to a bus or road divider, the sensor popped up. If it was me, I prefer them appearing only in when I am parking. I never went to adjust this setting as this is only a temporary car.
But I sure love the blind spot indicator. It’s a joy to have. And it is always on.
Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:44 PM
Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:45 PM
However I am disappointed with the not so silent drive. VW should have done better soundproofing. Can clearly hear road noise from the wheel arc and fenders. Exhaust note was also clearly heard when cruising. At expressway cruising speed, there are whistling noise from the side mirrors. With the cost of the Golf GTI, this is such a disappointment. They should have done better soundproofing.
Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:46 PM
Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:02 PM
After 3 days of driving the Golf GTI, conclusion, the car is not for me. But as a first car or a family with one or two small kid, this car will fulfil their needs easily and more. I was able to clock 231km for the whole time I had it. If every car buyer is able to test drive a car for this long, it would be great. It really lets you look into the details of the car to see if it meets your needs. Thank you to MCF and VCS again for the opportunity to test drive the Golf GTI.
and the best part is , The FC drinks like a 1.6 NA korean Car.
Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:55 PM
Hope Skoda comes out with something similar for the Octavia RS245.
Or Kia with the Stinger GT.
Or Alfa with the Giulia Veloce.
I'll confirm take part to have a shot at getting lucky 😝
Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with those who don't have it.
Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:21 PM
Also tagged with these keywords: volkswagen , golf , gti , days
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users