Should I scrap my 3 year old Cat A car?

sthh

No SE will advise you to go home and think twice. It is their job to sell sell sell.

I was looking at the Elantra due to the amount of features it has compared to mine.

It has rear aircon, climate control, tire pressure sensors, 6 airbags, better drive... etc etc.. 

Which is why I feel like changing the car since it has quite an attractive pricepoint.. 

And the SE's words of: u can get a new car by paying only 12k for the deposit!

↡ Advertisement

you can do without these features. and dont be fooled by SE's words...

Well, thats true...

My honda city has been performing flawlessly the entire while. 

No issues at all.. It has been an extremly worthy car to use. Easy to drive, smooth. 

Just that when I was at the KMC showroom... the SE kept promoting the Elantra with SO MANY extra features that my Honda city doesn't have... and it actually kind of made the City feel quite inadequate.

• Praise 1

Perhaps u might wan2 consider mazda 6. List prixe for standard prob 107k. Can knock off 5k as well.

Biggee ride....

Or perhaps just wait on another yr bah... perhaps coe might be even lower.. perhaps only...take it with a pinch of salt as coe is unpredictable one.

Well, thats true...

My honda city has been performing flawlessly the entire while.

No issues at all.. It has been an extremly worthy car to use. Easy to drive, smooth.

Just that when I was at the KMC showroom... the SE kept promoting the Elantra with SO MANY extra features that my Honda city doesn't have... and it actually kind of made the City feel quite inadequate.

yes so dont go showroom wahaha... then you wont itchy backside...

Are those features very important? Your City can't move without all these features?

Btw, all SE are bulls**t. No offence to anyone if there are any SE around.

They just want to milk you dry (which is their main job in the first place!)

How many SE will give u sound and practical advice and refuse your commission when the fat sheep comes knocking at it's door?

Not only car dealers massage ladies also.

:D

• Praise 1

the honda city's OMV is 17.5k.

So I have to add the depre of my old car to the new car as well to get the total depre?

Sorry as this Honda city is my first car and I'm not sure of all these things.

so depre of your honda city (96000 - 17500/2) divided by 10 years 

Provided u drive to close to 9 years lor.

Just to see how much u are really paying. When u walk into car showroom 2 years after buying ur car, usually it's a dangerous situation for your wallet lol.

I know. since i did it earlier this year. even starting off with a much higher COE than yours, i cant stomach the loss over 3years.

hello everyone, 

I wanted to make a new post but I'm unable to as I do not have a 10 post count, hence digging up an old thread.

I would sincerely appreciate some help and I am currently in a conundrum.

I have a Honda City which is just above 2 years old, and my COE back then was above $55xxx

Some friends/relatives have talked about changing cars due to the low COE, and it has rubbed off me.

I'm thinking of changing to a Hyundai Elantra, and I just went to the KMC showroom over the weekend.

SE was willing to take in my car at 60k, and that by just paying the booking deposit of 12k, I can actually carry on my old loan and have a brand new car for 10 years.

It seems like a pretty good deal. The Elantra Elite costs 85,999 and they have an additional 3k discount if I do not take their servicing package of 5 years.

However, I bought the Honda city at 95,999 and i'm losing 36k in just 2 years!!

I want to hear from the experienced mcfers here for their advice.

Thank you very much.

Just hold till next year if you really interested in the elantra.

New model will be out next year.That time your city is just 3yrs old.Still very young.lol......

Just imagine if next year,new elantra out and if coe down and you like the new model very much and if want to sell your old elantra and get the new model,you will loss even more.

Just curious.When you brought your city 2yrs back,current elantra already in the market.Why you never choose back then?

I believe is almost same price.

by brand: jap is always louder than kor

by built quality: jap is always better than kor

dep: assuming the different between 2 is 3k per year, doesn't sound a lot to me. unless your current car is giving you hell lot of problem.

Just to see how much u are really paying. When u walk into car showroom 2 years after buying ur car, usually it's a dangerous situation for your wallet lol.

I know. since i did it earlier this year. even starting off with a much higher COE than yours, i cant stomach the loss over 3years.

Honda city still have cevs rebate of 5k so 17.5k-5k,omv should be 12.5k.

that mean depreciation is 9k per yr if drive all the way 10yr

Honda city still have cevs rebate of 5k so 17.5k-5k,omv should be 12.5k.

• Praise 1

hello everyone,

I wanted to make a new post but I'm unable to as I do not have a 10 post count, hence digging up an old thread.

I would sincerely appreciate some help and I am currently in a conundrum.

I have a Honda City which is just above 2 years old, and my COE back then was above $55xxx

Some friends/relatives have talked about changing cars due to the low COE, and it has rubbed off me.

I'm thinking of changing to a Hyundai Elantra, and I just went to the KMC showroom over the weekend.

SE was willing to take in my car at 60k, and that by just paying the booking deposit of 12k, I can actually carry on my old loan and have a brand new car for 10 years.

It seems like a pretty good deal. The Elantra Elite costs 85,999 and they have an additional 3k discount if I do not take their servicing package of 5 years.

However, I bought the Honda city at 95,999 and i'm losing 36k in just 2 years!!

I want to hear from the experienced mcfers here for their advice.

Thank you very much.

Yes you should change.

Ask yourself if you don't change will you save 36k?

After 10 years will you have the 36k in your back pocket.

Making a financial decision based on I spend so much money already better carry on is not the optimum way to make financial decisions.

It's just pandering to your emotions. Feel heart pain cos paper loss so much money.

The correct way is to calculate total cost and the value of a new car with a new warranty.

:D

City got cevs i tink... maybe the parf will be lower liao

City got cevs i tink... maybe the parf will be lower liao

Ah I didn't know. But that only changes the yearly depre by few hundred. So not significant

by brand: jap is always louder than kor

by built quality: jap is always better than kor

dep: assuming the different between 2 is 3k per year, doesn't sound a lot to me. unless your current car is giving you hell lot of problem.

Disagree.Depends on Brand.

I don't like the flimsy built quality of the Japanese brands of the Renault Alliance,but most are ok.

Even Korean built quality is better than those jokers....

Just ranting...

Main thing: Don't change your City (directed to him).You will not gain much but in fact lose a lot.

I tot now most agents/dealers all dun dare take in old cars at high price, and all only offer paper value?

A friend's 3 yo XV has $68k COE, and he finds it too painful to trade in now, cos paper only...

Hello all,

My current ride is a Mitsubishi attrage which is bought in Aug 2015 when cat A COE is $57,500

It is paid in full. So far, the car works well for A to B travel. 

Will it be a good time now to scrap the car to take advantage of the current lower COE? 

Currently looking at the Nissan Note or looking at another attrage again. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

you already lost money at 3 years ago, if you want to lose further, go ahead to scrap

in Singapore buy car always is loser

I tot now most agents/dealers all dun dare take in old cars at high price, and all only offer paper value?

A friend's 3 yo XV has $68k COE, and he finds it too painful to trade in now, cos paper only...

obviously even if COE dropped 40k but car price not proportionally dropped 40k,

Edited by MQX87511

obviously even if COE dropped 40k but car price not proportionally dropped 40k,

His loss would be $16/7k per year of use... He was prepared to stomach like maybe $12-14k per year, but agent said the 2nd hand market flooded with such 2-3 yo cars liao, so nobody's taking anymore, and all will export - hence only paper value.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3