Newbie questions about buying a car at dealership.

(edited)

Hi everyone, some questions that I can hopefully get answered here instead of heading down to the authorised dealer showroom and disturb the executives. 

I am looking at either a mitsubishi attrage or a honda jazz.

1. For driving PHV, will the in-house Authorised Dealer warranty and servicing apply?

2. Will I get a better deal bidding for my own COE instead? For example, C&C cays the COE charged amount is $20,000. Meaning if I buy a car without COE, they assume COE is worth $20,000. But I will lugi if I bid for my own COE. 

3. How will the AD charge me for the COE? Guaranteed COE? Do I need to pay a markup to guarantee my COE?

4. If I pay cash upfront, how much price markup should I expect? Or is getting a loan better overall?

5. Can anyone recommend me a SE for C&C or KAH that will treat me nicely? I am a greenhorn and don't want to get destroyed by their sales tactics. 

6. Can anyone recommend me a good car insurance for PHV, with good excess and reasonable premiums. 

7. Is the in house insurance usually any good for the bonus for $5000? Will I end up paying more in the long run?

Thank you!

Edited by TayBoonSiang
↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 1

eh why you so concerned about disturbing the AD executives ah... its their job le...

Scared with the kind of crowd they are expecting, they got no time for a joker like me... I am quite shy in real life...

Don't you think he should go down to the showroom to talk with the SE to find out more before buying?

eh why you so concerned about disturbing the AD executives ah... its their job le...

Supersonic

Scared with the kind of crowd they are expecting, they got no time for a joker like me... I am quite shy in real life...

ok noted. let me try to answer whichever i can.

usually people go to AD for the peace of mind and convenience of the dealer settling everything for you, of course at a price. the hassle and procedures for bidding your own COE may not be worth the money you save, especially since you say you are a greenhorn.

there are different prices for guaranteed and non guaranteed COE, usually AD will specify the max no. of COE rounds for non guaranteed, and will have some commitment to refund you if they are still unable to secure your COE for you after that no. of rounds (very unlikely scenario). obviously car price for guaranteed COE will be higher, so depends on how urgent you need the car.

may i suggest you go to AD with an experienced senior, as SEs can smell fresh meat from a mile away...

Don't you think he should go down to the showroom to talk with the SE to find out more before buying?

i think he will go to them eventually...

Hi everyone, some questions that I can hopefully get answered here instead of heading down to the authorised dealer showroom and disturb the executives.

1. For driving PHV, will the in-house Authorised Dealer warranty and servicing apply?

2. Will I get a better deal bidding for my own COE instead? For example, C&C cays the COE charged amount is $20,000. Meaning if I buy a car without COE, they assume COE is worth $20,000. But I will lugi if I bid for my own COE.

3. How will the AD charge me for the COE? Guaranteed COE? Do I need to pay a markup to guarantee my COE?

4. If I pay cash upfront, how much price markup should I expect? Or is getting a loan better overall?

5. Can anyone recommend me a SE for C&C or KAH that will treat me nicely? I am a greenhorn and don't want to get destroyed by their sales tactics.

6. Can anyone recommend me a good car insurance for PHV, with good excess and reasonable premiums.

7. Is the in house insurance usually any good for the bonus for $5000? Will I end up paying more in the long run?

Thank you!

for paying cash upfront, there is usually a markup of a few k depending on your loan amount. you have to do your sums to see which makes more sense financially.

usually in house insurance for AD should be ok, but you can always get some quotrs from your own sources and compare the prices. some ADs have one year insurance included as part of the deal, so again you have to do your own sums.

• Praise 1

Yes, it is usually time or mileage-based. For PHV you will likely clear the mileage before time is up. 

No you cannot. So don't bother with this option. 

COE is included in the price they offer you. There are several options, either guaranteed COE, or non-guaranteed which is cheaper. 

You will be required to take a loan to get the stated price. Otherwise there is a surcharge because of forgone interest commission they can't earn from you.

The product is fairly homogeneous so the only variables are the freebies they may withhold from you. They earn commission from you and sometimes to close a sale they are willing to sacrifice some of it.  

You usually have to take the in-house insurance tie up. Otherwise you will have to pay another surcharge. It is the foregone commission thing again.

No idea what you mean by bonus.

Thank you!

You should pick up a price list from Kah and Cycle & Carriage. The fine print at the bottom answers most of your questions. Nevertheless I have put up what I know.

I'm surprised you don't already know if getting a car loan is better or worse, though.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

If really is for PHV purposes, then the Attrage is a better choice because it's fuel consumption is better than the Jazz.

Thank you!

Previously u open a thread to ask ppl's opinion regarding cost of owning a car to use as a PHV. U mentiomed tat u r jobless and doing investment for a living and wanted to buy a car for phv use as a side income. Then when ppl giv advices and talk abt the topic u disappear after getting suggestions of wat u want. Ok la, nt say u r wrong. Mayb nt so polite.

Nw u ask ques on which car shld u select.

Ur questions r really wierd.

E.g Ans to ur ques 1) why wld ADs care wat u use ur car for? For cos normal T&C applies la.

Ur ques 3) and 4) simi Mark Up?!. Coe is coe, based on bidding one. Wat u mean by mark up? Haha...wat toking u?!

Ur ques 6) How to recommend u insurance? U going to buy new car leh, insurance u take watever the AD recommend u

Ur ques 7)..wah, wat u toking abt man!?haha...

Bro, i think u r doing a survey for some purpose bah. Ok la, if u r really a confuse guy, let me ans ur ques 5) will SE treat u nice or nt.. If u ask them these kind of stupid ques, Ans is No!

• Praise 4

Supersonic

Previously u open a thread to ask ppl's opinion regarding cost of owning a car to use as a PHV. U mentiomed tat u r jobless and doing investment for a living and wanted to buy a car for phv use as a side income. Then when ppl giv advices and talk abt the topic u disappear after getting suggestions of wat u want. Ok la, nt say u r wrong. Mayb nt so polite.

E.g Ans to ur ques 1) why wld ADs care wat u use ur car for? For cos normal T&C applies la.

Ur ques 3) and 4) simi Mark Up?!. Coe is coe, based on bidding one. Wat u mean by mark up? Haha...wat toking u?!

Ur ques 6) How to recommend u insurance? U going to buy new car leh, insurance u take watever the AD recommend u

Bro, i think u r doing a survey for some purpose bah. Ok la, if u r really a confuse guy, let me ans ur ques 5) will SE treat u nice or nt.. If u ask them these kind of stupid ques, Ans is No!

now that you mentioned it, i remember the previous thread on PHV...

now that you mentioned it, i remember the previous thread on PHV...

Think he is a troll. However there is nothing wrong with asking questions. Mcf is a care and share car forum. Of course, no one can please everyone here

Supersonic

Very observant.

(edited)

1) Not sure. ADs have a lot of T&Cs. But I cannot find any info on their website. 

3), 4) COE last round is 25,000. How come AD advertise different prices. Why don't I bid COE myself and buy car without COE instead to save 5k roughly?

6) AD insurance covers commercial vehicle?

How are these questions stupid? I genuinely don't know. I stated my questions are quite unique as I am buying for PHV purposes. 

Most dealers will require you to get insurance from them. If not will hv surcharge. Just wondering... Does CCS consider this as fair act?

Yes precisely, I can't understand how is this fair. Can't they advertise the price properly upfront?

You should pick up a price list from Kah and Cycle & Carriage. The fine print at the bottom answers most of your questions. Nevertheless I have put up what I know.

I'm surprised you don't already know if getting a car loan is better or worse, though.

Not surprised as there is no quote/markup stated for not getting a car loan. ADs aren't very transparent. 

Edited by TayBoonSiang
↡ Advertisement