So how ah?

Tianmo

(edited)

This morning while reading MCF, find it quite interesting to have these 2 threads one above the other. 

There is this thread being refresh time and again over some small small things like getting an anonymous dislike, KPKB until like world war 3 coming. 

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2706085-anonymous-dislike-function-time-for-review/

and then we have this thread being refresh whenever someone reaches a 2F2F status, thanking the world world like star award. 

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2705776-yeah-finally-a-member-of-2fast2furious-too/

What caught my attention and find it interesting is, it is kind of funny when the  2 threads were one right above the other this morning. A total contrast in the reaction to the same system in a same community. One is like a funeral while the other is like a new born baby shower party.  [laugh]

I think the praise and dislike system was put in place to reduce the work load of the mods, and to eventually get into a self regulated community without the mods getting too involve. However, after these years, I dont see it getting anywhere. Yes I see some good posts getting many praises, but there are just as many silly and stupid  ones getting praised for unknown reasons, making the praising system look real stupid. 

And then we have the anonymous dislike making ppl going nuts, with some even making use of the anonymous as a hiding ground giving serial anonymous dislikes. Well mayb he/she was out numbered in discussions so this becomes the only way to get it back. Is this good? I seriously dont know, but what i do know is this will just lead to a lopsided discussion and killing off interest, it will also result in some unscrupulous ppl creating discord among members. 

Can the mods do anything? Well, first off, out of professionalism, the mods are not allowed to expose them, and if he/she was giving out dislike in proper, there is really nothing wrong or against the rule. So those close to the mods, understand that we cannot blame the mods for not taking actions as many wished for. 

Also, as it stands, getting many praises doent mean the post is meaningful, or that a member is contributing more towards the building of the forum. Its actually just a way of getting ard the system. Meaningful? I dont know. 

Now that it seem like we will still be leading more towards a moderators regulated system than a self regulated system, is it time to seriously consider doing away with the praise/dislike system, and bring back that open discussion system? Where ppl put forward their POV openly and  debate it out without the worry of getting too many dislikes?

So how ah? [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

PS: this is not referring to anyone hor, it is just my general observation. So pls dont get too sensitive over my commends hor.. ^_^

Edited by Tianmo
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

I think the praise and dislike system was put in place to reduce the work load of the mods, and to eventually get into a self regulated community without the mods getting too involve. However, after these years, I dont see it getting anywhere. Yes I see some good posts getting many praises, but there are just as many silly and stupid  ones getting praised for unknown reasons, making the praising system look real stupid.

Oi! Why so click bait(title)! I was ready to come in and give dislike liao.

I think mods don't disclose is better. Unless, it's instances of abuse (one person making multiple accounts for dislike, etc). I think, we as a society / community should also be more matured, whether it's giving dislike or getting them. Internet points nia. No point getting worked up over it. Also cannot eat the points or exchange for fuel.

• Praise 3

I agree. The current like and dislike system is fine. Not perfect and it never will be, Change to another system and it will have its strengths and weaknesses as well . No system can please anyone. Much as we hate to receive dislike points, we have to accept it as part of MCF. 

Ultimately its the people at the top that decides what is good for the community.

Oi! Why so click bait(title)! I was ready to come in and give dislike liao.

I think mods don't disclose is better. Unless, it's instances of abuse (one person making multiple accounts for dislike, etc). I think, we as a society / community should also be more matured, whether it's giving dislike or getting them. Internet points nia. No point getting worked up over it. Also cannot eat the points or exchange for fuel.

• Praise 1

since the praise and dislike system has not really achieved its intended purpose after so many years, perhaps it is time to do away with it altogether. much has been said about the anonymous dislike and forumers have been advised not to pay too much attention to it. however, it is apparent that this has caused some angst to quite a number of forumers on the receiving end. in most instances, the reason for disliking a certain post anonymously is an unworthy one liner. it does not bring any value to the on-going discussion. it's more like trolling than anything else. without such a system, trollers would be forced to state their views openly. surely a forum is a place to exchange views and discuss.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

eh bro, i posted in both threads, so you talking about me?? -_-[laugh]

anyway, i do agree that there are silly posts being praised, but by and large, the really good posts usually get the most praise la. although i must say after a while you do get an idea of what to post if you want to get praises...

i believe the praise and ranking system is also partly to encourage more activity and participation in MCF, so why not improve on the ranking? maybe can have more divisions beyond 2F2F, or have a % ranking at the top? another idea is to have a secondary ranking based on weekly/monthly activity? just throwing out some ideas...

↡ Advertisement