Ben Davis not allowed to defer NS for Fulham stint

Zxcvb

Twincharged

Firstly, I am not a football fan. I hv no idea who/what is Fulham team but I know the term "EPL" and am sure it's not easy to get a player's contract with an EPL team.

My personal stand is, I would not want this young kid with a potentially bright future to give up this rare and hard-fought opportunity in order to "defend" me as a Singaporean; I cannot be that selfish.

I have no issue with him deferring his NS obligations, if it means he can continue to pursue his dream now, rather than risk losing it. If he eventually doesn't serve NS as it would impact his professional career and decides to give up his SG citizenship, so be it.  

Again, that's just me.

I can imagine the wide-spread implications/nightmares on a macro level but this is my personal stand on a micro level.

p.s. how do the powers-that-be justify the long periods of deferment for govt scholars? Are some already not treated as more equal than others?

If I understand it correctly, he had no choice but to declare himself as English due to work permit issues relevant to that industry.

therefore, it would be illogical to blame him for not declaring himself as Singaporean.

they say it is last time... now no more. loop hole closed. All are equal now.

↡ Advertisement

U r right, to get a work permit in England to play Football, your country has to be in the top 50 ranked nations and u have to play 75% of the matches for your country to be eligible. Lower % is allowed for higher ranked countries.

So even if Davies have Lionel Messi skills but he wont qualify if he doesn’t meet the above rules so by declaring himself English by virtue of his Dad’s citizenship, these rules can be bypassed cos he will be considered local UK resident.

Hope this clarifies and not be used by the naysayers as a stick to whack Davies with.

Never accept those one sided msm reporting.

post-62064-0-74285000-1533602899.gif

• Praise 1

EPL is just popular here in Singapore and when it comes to international standard it's far from tops. Those leagues on top are in South America.

What's their motivation to inflate the claims and try to get deferment?

Dr Ng EH is right. If granted deferment it won't be fair to the others. Just leave Sgp if they wish to pursue what they want. Why create so much hype over the matter? What's their intention anyway?

• Praise 3

U r right, to get a work permit in England to play Football, your country has to be in the top 50 ranked nations and u have to play 75% of the matches for your country to be eligible. Lower % is allowed for higher ranked countries.

So even if Davies have Lionel Messi skills but he wont qualify if he doesn’t meet the above rules so by declaring himself English by virtue of his Dad’s citizenship, these rules can be bypassed cos he will be considered local UK resident.

Hope this clarifies and not be used by the naysayers as a stick to whack Davies with.

mean he has privilege than other and bypass what the regulations, also to do that he is willing to forgo what the country has provided him, for now and for future. 

• Praise 1

How many Singaporean play in Premier League?

I know our National Security is more important than our world cup 2020.

yes cause there is no WC in 2020
  • Praise 1

How that 1 person can affect national security?

How many unreported white horse that get deferment?

If Israeli can balance it, why can't we? Not forgetting our NS is model after Israel.

I have no problem with GF going on office project as long as she likes.

1) I think they are afraid that it will be because they grant this one request, it opens a floodgate of other requests

2) I dunno but I believe they meet criteria or "fill up forms correctly." Co's MINDEF AFAIK needs an end date. Other white horses could give it but in this case, it wasn't. It's like if I want to keng mc, I tell the doctor I got headache and I get mc. I don't go and tell the doctor I want mc without giving an illness and then complain why others who keng can get mc but I cannot (example only. If I take mc I really sick :D).

3) dunno about Israel but the people there are more patriotic when you have Jews from overseas coming back to serve NS (I met them in 2004) but here it's like everyone trying to escape or migrate so it's a bit different.

4) No comments on this.

• Praise 2

EPL is just popular here in Singapore and when it comes to international standard it's far from tops. Those leagues on top are in South America.

What's their motivation to inflate the claims and try to get deferment?

Dr Ng EH is right. If granted deferment it won't be fair to the others. Just leave Sgp if they wish to pursue what they want. Why create so much hype over the matter? What's their intention anyway?

if you say Spainish league better than EPL i can still understand... but South American leagues...
  • Praise 2

1) I think they are afraid that it will be because they grant this one request, it opens a floodgate of other requests

2) I dunno but I believe they meet criteria or "fill up forms correctly." Co's MINDEF AFAIK needs an end date. Other white horses could give it but in this case, it wasn't. It's like if I want to keng mc, I tell the doctor I got headache and I get mc. I don't go and tell the doctor I want mc without giving an illness and then complain why others who keng can get mc but I cannot (example only. If I take mc I really sick :D).

3) dunno about Israel but the people there are more patriotic when you have Jews from overseas coming back to serve NS (I met them in 2004) but here it's like everyone trying to escape or migrate so it's a bit different.

4) No comments on this.

1. How many top athlete do we have?  Athlete has very narrow window to prove themselves.  Once you miss that window, you can forget about playing at the highest level of respective sports.

3. In Israel, male and female need to serve

Simply put, it’s always easier to say NO than Yes.

Oh yah...not forgetting one less Ben Davis, Singapore is going to be invaded by Malaysia.

Go Ben go, prove the old fart in parliament wrong. I hope you do.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 6

Top world cup countries are from South America.

Not looking at lastest world cup of course. [laugh]

the last time south american team lifted the world cup was in 2002 [laugh]

• Praise 2

Simply put, it’s always easier to say NO than Yes.

Oh yah...not forgetting one less Ben Davis, Singapore is going to be invaded by Malaysia.

Go Ben go, prove the old fart in parliament wrong. I hope you do.

@fcw75 @davidtch

nothing surprising about their dose of sensationalism a la incessant bleating on security compromised, national service ethos undermined and open the floodgates to application. :a-bang:

Top world cup countries are from South America.

Not looking at lastest world cup of course. [laugh]

actually many of the Brazil and Argentina national team players ply their trade in Europe. in any case you have a point la, as shown in the table and link below.

https://iffhs.de/the-strongest-national-league-of-the-world-spains-primera-division-again/

post-195148-0-95515500-1533610066_thumb.jpg

Edited by kdash
  • Praise 1

Actually our national security is more important than world cup whatever :D if we are dead, nothing is important liao.

How many Singapore play in premier league? Of cos not many afaik but he also never help his case by giving an open ended date for his deferment.

It's like you have a gf and you are about to marry when she say she got an office project to finish first. After finish, can marry if no further project. The project can earn millions which would make the marriage a good one if it works well. Only problem is she can't tell you when project ends is it confirmed she will marry you or she will get another contract and delay marriage but she will eventually marry you, just dunno when.

As bf will you let her pursue the lucrative project or hold her back so that you all can marry or break up with her?

your analogy will not give you the answer you want to hear lol

• Praise 1

"Fair"? [hur]

oh ya I forgot. White Horse system is to ensure they don't get special treatment. All are equal.

actually many of the Brazil and Argentina national team players ply their trade in Europe. in any case you have a point la, as shown in the table and link below.

https://iffhs.de/the-strongest-national-league-of-the-world-spains-primera-division-again/

attachicon.gifSmartSelect_20180807-104617_Chrome.jpg

Is there something like this for football?

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rankings/me/pcs/individual

It's like you have a gf and you are about to marry when she say she got an office project to finish first. After finish, can marry if no further project. The project can earn millions which would make the marriage a good one if it works well. Only problem is she can't tell you when project ends is it confirmed she will marry you or she will get another contract and delay marriage but she will eventually marry you, just dunno when.

As bf will you let her pursue the lucrative project or hold her back so that you all can marry or break up with her?

as bf, I would wanna clarify if it's the project that earns millions or the gf that earns millions from the project.

if it's the latter, faster go ROM then let her go earn the millions. [laugh]

on a serious note, this analogy is not a good one when compared vis-a-vis NS obligations.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1