[Discussion] P-Plates and Big/Powerful Cars

boonhat_91

WC is over so I'm quite boliao..

Recently see around my neighbourhood and on the roads got quite a few bmw / mercs or SUVs with P-plate. Just wondering if this is unique in SG given our car prices. In US and UK new drivers can easily get an old beat up used car for <$1k to practise with.

For mcfers who started out with b&b cars and have upgraded to contis/SUVs or performance cars over the years, do you feel that driving b&b at the start made you a better and more confident driver in your bigger/faster car today? If you could go back in time with unlimited money, would you have jumped straight into a performance car once you got your licence?

For those who have been lucky enough to drive a 'big' or 'powerful' car once you got your licence, upon reflection, would you have preferred to gain more experience first with something smaller and less powerful?

Just for discussion..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

it can also be that the owner has a teenage child who just got his/her licence.

i'm still driving a B&B so no point of comparison #lowses [bigcry]

Twincharged

S'pore alot of well doing Families....It is alright that these "P" plate holders drive slowly & carefully...not like the Kallang GTR,speed testing Accident. [thumbsdown]  [furious]  [bigcry]

• Praise 1

Maybe the owner putting a P plate to inform other drivers, to be patient and not anyhow "kiss" his car, especially BMW or RR.

I know a Friend whom intentionally leaves his P plate on because it gives an impression that if they drive sucky or slowly = people will give chance.

it can also be that the owner has a teenage child who just got his/her licence.

i'm still driving a B&B so no point of comparison #lowses [bigcry]

yup, this is the scenario I'm talking about.

come to think of it, I've never heard of any sg parents buying their kid a b&b when they get their licence. Only hear about those that buy their kid some expensive car.

Supersonic

yup, this is the scenario I'm talking about.

come to think of it, I've never heard of any sg parents buying their kid a b&b when they get their licence. Only hear about those that buy their kid some expensive car.

what i meant is that main usage of car is still by the parents, but once in awhile the kid borrows the car for use. so still need P plate there.

what i meant is that main usage of car is still by the parents, but once in awhile the kid borrows the car for use. so still need P plate there.

I think this is the case for most households here. Even if they have 2 cars, both is mainly for parents' usage. Majority of kids use the cars on "borrow" basis. Only super high ses kids get personal cars.

But still, regardless of borrowed or personal, that car would still be the car you gain your experience from as a new licence holder.

First off my chest .....[Discussion] in the title is really extra. Unless it is for announcement use only. All threads are open for TCSS no?

back to the topic

As a P-plater, if he/she is able to drive a huge S-class/Bentley/7 series up and down some deathtrap buidling carparks and MSCP, and making sure he/she can park it properly without a scratch..... I am sure he/she is more skillful than 80% of the Singaporean motorist  here.

If the laopeh/laubuh has money to burn to repair all the scraps and dings, who are we to judge.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

I think this is the case for most households here. Even if they have 2 cars, both is mainly for parents' usage. Majority of kids use the cars on "borrow" basis. Only super high ses kids get personal cars.

But still, regardless of borrowed or personal, that car would still be the car you gain your experience from as a new licence holder.

ah ok. my view would be the same as Vratenza, parents got money so what can we do about it.

that being said, the kid may still choose to buy B&B car in future due to budget or other considerations.

• Praise 1

As a P-plater, if he/she is able to drive a huge S-class/Bentley/7 series up and down some deathtrap buidling carparks and MSCP, and making sure he/she can park it properly without a scratch..... I am sure he/she is more skillful than 80% of the Singaporean motorist  here.

If the laopeh/laubuh has money to burn to repair all the scraps and dings, who are we to judge.

how many here can confidently say they are in the skillful top 20%? And even more so from the moment you started driving?

money to burn aside, is there any merit to starting small before upgrading to something bigger/more powerful?

parents here, would you be 100% confident to let your kid borrow your car - assuming it's bigger/more powerful than a b&b?