Traffic Police Gets New BMWs

Theoldjaffa

As our hero, it's your pick

Want my autograph? Which part of your hippie body you want my autograph on?

Your Carrera S cant be faster than their speed gun. :)-

Mine is not 911, and I know what is a speed camera after decades of driving on this island... relax abit.. or u also want autograph?

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 2

Somehow this has more truth in it... :D

My wife and my younger sister previously owned the Jetta Sport and Polo respectively. Below are the list of problems they encountered:

Jetta - front left door cannot be opened; window on the front right cannot be rolled down automatically; all the charging sockets not working (cannot charge handphone); In-car navi sometimes point to another road a few km away; multiple software "upgrades"; busy servicing centers; wife complained low speed "jerkiness" of the DSG gearbox - I find it tolerable. 

Polo - car was immobilized due to DSG issues and my sis could not drive it out of carparks in 3 different occasions. The 3rd time happened at the narrow Shaw Lido carpark and that was the final straw that broke the camel's back.

Above problems are personal anecdotal accounts of course. On the other hand, they are both driving different cars now and I have not heard many automobile horror stories since. 

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 5

My wife and my younger sister previously owned the Jetta Sport and Polo respectively. Below are the list of problems they encountered:

Jetta - front left door cannot be opened; window on the front right cannot be rolled down automatically; all the charging sockets not working (cannot charge handphone); In-car navi sometimes point to another road a few km away; multiple software "upgrades"; busy servicing centers; wife complained low speed "jerkiness" of the DSG gearbox - I find it tolerable. 

Polo - car was immobilized due to DSG issues and my sis could not drive it out of carparks in 3 different occasions. The 3rd time happened at the narrow Shaw Lido carpark and that was the final straw that broke the camel's back.

Above problems are personal anecdotal accounts of course. On the other hand, they are both driving different cars now and I have not heard many automobile horror stories since. 

My previous car had that problem. Compliant with screenshots on Handphone until no way out of the conversation. 

So you would think kanna Mexican standoff must resolve, yes?

Well, the answer is no. According to VCS, our management also have the same problem in the tourag and the antenna is exposed and place on the dashboard / somewhere else to receive the GPS signal. Singapore has many buildings and is expected to have GPS signal disruption from the satellite as well as shifting of the satellite. You want we can do the same to get Better reception, but there will be wired exposed.

Me : Err??? isnt that like buying a condo and do rewiring with plastic trunking expose ????

How do you argue with such rocket science statement ?

For windows, never encountered for the german build cars that I had until year 7 or 8.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

My wife and my younger sister previously owned the Jetta Sport and Polo respectively. Below are the list of problems they encountered:

Jetta - front left door cannot be opened; window on the front right cannot be rolled down automatically; all the charging sockets not working (cannot charge handphone); In-car navi sometimes point to another road a few km away; multiple software "upgrades"; busy servicing centers; wife complained low speed "jerkiness" of the DSG gearbox - I find it tolerable.

Polo - car was immobilized due to DSG issues and my sis could not drive it out of carparks in 3 different occasions. The 3rd time happened at the narrow Shaw Lido carpark and that was the final straw that broke the camel's back.

Above problems are personal anecdotal accounts of course. On the other hand, they are both driving different cars now and I have not heard many automobile horror stories since.

We have been hearing a lot of VW problem on the older model and DSG.

How about those more recent model? Any owner can comments? @Carbon82 ?

Edited by Tohto

Between the automobile makers. VW and Ford have done a fantastic job to really ruin the reputation of the dual-clutch gearbox. Ford with their powers*** transmission and VW with their DSG. They've basically made reliability completely disposable.

Have had many colleagues and friends who started out with VW and eventually forced to give it up after 3-5 years because of intractable gearbox issues. One even had her Passat just die in the middle of the CTE tunnel. It must have been a "wonderful" experience.

The usual comment I get is "VW runs damn smoothly and nicely, until it suddenly dies on you without warning".

• Praise 2

We have been hearing a lot of VW problem on the older model and DSG.

How about those more recent model? Any owner can comments? @Carbon82 ?

Before I start... *touch wood* [:p]  [:p]

I owned 2 cars under VAG in the past 6 years 4 months+, and both did not give me any gearbox or engine issue.

1) Skoda Superb 2.0TSI (4yrs 3 mths+, 158K+ Km)

2) VW Sharan 2.0TSI (2yrs 1mth+, 87K+ Km)

Both using EA888 Gen 3B 2.0 turbo-charged engine, paired with DQ250 6 speed wet clutch DSG.

• Praise 6

Before I start... *touch wood* [:p]  [:p]

I owned 2 cars under VAG in the past 6 years 4 months+, and both did not give me any gearbox or engine issue.

1) Skoda Superb 2.0TSI (4yrs 3 mths+, 158K+ Km)

2) VW Sharan 2.0TSI (2yrs 1mth+, 87K+ Km)

Both using EA888 Gen 3B 2.0 turbo-charged engine, paired with DQ250 6 speed wet clutch DSG.

These EA888 Engines & DQ250 DSG are  [thumbsup] But thing like Bulbs,& Electrical Items..not so good. [thumbsdown]

Never knew it's Very Worrying to own such a Damn Scary Gearbox  [laugh]

• Praise 3

These EA888 Engines & DQ250 DSG are  [thumbsup] But thing like Bulbs,& Electrical Items..not so good. [thumbsdown]

Wet clutch has better heat-dissipation characteristics, tend to last a bit longer than the very problematic dry clutch before running into issues.

There are reports online of Ford Powers*** transmissions (which was also dry) giving problems 1 month into ownership. The whole car starts shuddering like it's throwing an epileptic fit.

Edited by DK3410
↡ Advertisement