EPL 18/19 - New Season Begins

kdash

Therein lies the problem - the gulf between the established premier league teams (not even talking about the big 6), and the championship teams, is quite big. It is quite difficult for the just-promoted teams to stay in EPL for longer than 2-3 seasons, unless they somehow strike gold and unearthed a few A-grade players that were previously unknown. These players were therefore cheap and hence affordable, plus cos they were not famous yet, there were no takers from the more illustrious clubs, so they were content to join a 'lesser' club that only just got promoted, and either was never in EPL before, or was not doing well so was drifting in and out of EPL.

One example is Leicester. But it's said that it's a once-in-a-lifetime case...

And even then, the A-grade players after enjoying success, would attract interest from bigger clubs, and will crave to move up, leaving the club with a mammoth task to replace these great players... If the replacements aren't good enough, the team will start struggling...

As for the rest of the promoted teams, they usually go straight back down, or maybe they pose some surprise tactics and players, and so can shock some teams in the first season in EPL, and will survive maybe 1 or 2 seasons, before the other teams get familiar with them and peg them back.

Not sure if it's a good or bad thing that this has hardly changed over the years...

That’s why about the only way to get promoted into EPL and challenge the established clubs is to have a sugar daddy pumping in investment. I know a lot of fans from the established clubs will say that is buying success but the opponents of this are those from the clubs already at the party and want to close membership.

How to gain entry into the party if no $? Pool, Arsenal, Man United are the old boys club ie they established success early in their history and thus got a foothold into the party. City n Chelsea are the new kids on the block and had investment pumped into the club and now can stand on equal footing to the old boys.

There r sleeping giants in English Football that can be woken up by an investor. Teams like Villa, Forest, Leeds, Derby are clubs with history that has won League titles before and for the case of the former 2, even UCL!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Alamak... he's good fren with Klopp...

Only hope for Huddersfield now, is maybe to call on Big Sam the expert at avoiding relegation...

no point. Appoint whoever also useless. 

From the day they entered PL till now same problem. They totally cannot score goals ! You don't score goals, you cannot win games. Its very tiring to play not-to-lose every match. At a certain point of time (usually after 2 or 3 seasons), it will start to lose its effectiveness. 

• Praise 2

That’s why about the only way to get promoted into EPL and challenge the established clubs is to have a sugar daddy pumping in investment. I know a lot of fans from the established clubs will say that is buying success but the opponents of this are those from the clubs already at the party and want to close membership.

How to gain entry into the party if no $? Pool, Arsenal, Man United are the old boys club ie they established success early in their history and thus got a foothold into the party. City n Chelsea are the new kids on the block and had investment pumped into the club and now can stand on equal footing to the old boys.

There r sleeping giants in English Football that can be woken up by an investor. Teams like Villa, Forest, Leeds, Derby are clubs with history that has won League titles before and for the case of the former 2, even UCL!

Quite true. Gone are the days where it's down to sheer grit and strong support that will see a club grow. Now no $$ no talk. Even Pool for about 20 yr had mostly bought affordable players barring a handful, and so the results showed. At least in the last few seasons there were shrewd buys that turned good, and also some much-needed expensive buys - and they are challenging now.

How come no China companies take over any EPL club till now?

• Praise 1

Leeds in on its way back?

Let's see what i remember of them:

- UCL semi finalist

- got some good players all sold...

- got 2 England international keepers at the same time

- got 2 australians in the team...

- almost gone broke

hope they are now in much better shape.

Leeds used to have players like Tomas Brolin, Nigel Martyn, Lee Bowyer, David Batty etc.

• Praise 2

Thatâs why about the only way to get promoted into EPL and challenge the established clubs is to have a sugar daddy pumping in investment. I know a lot of fans from the established clubs will say that is buying success but the opponents of this are those from the clubs already at the party and want to close membership.

Even pools such a traditional strong team with huge fans base need pump in money.

Other smaller clubs dun even need to mentions.

• Praise 1

wah you loyal Leeds supporter [thumbsup]

i still have some vague memory of Strachan playing for Leeds. And they were quite a strong team back in the Div 1 days, for a good stretch.

Bad management - and maybe luck - really brought them to their knees.

Ahh . . . . Gordon. Leeds from the 70's were a powerhouse. 

I had those picture cards of the English league players  [laugh]

• Praise 2

De Gea received a whole lot of praise for a truly brilliant performance in between the sticks but some were giving the rather lazy 'every shot was straight at him' argument.

And Watford keeper Foster, felt the need to comment on Twitter - noting how De Gea pulls off these saves because of how good he is at anticipating where the ball is going to end up.

post-16380-0-82814200-1547528549_thumb.png

• Praise 5

Leeds used to have players like Tomas Brolin, Nigel Martyn, Lee Bowyer, David Batty etc.

Alan Smith, Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka, Ian Harte, Jonathan Woodgate, Olivier Dacourt, Rio Ferdinand etc...
  • Praise 2

oh yah, even Martyn's deputy Paul Robinson got into England team...

Ferdinald, Cantona, Kewell, Viduka, Smith, Woodgate, etc. are other famous names that played for Leeds at different times, that are slowly coming back to mind...

Alan Smith, Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka, Ian Harte, Jonathan Woodgate, Olivier Dacourt, Rio Ferdinand etc...

Those were their peak.

I remember cantona with them.

Sold to man u SUPER CHEAP.

Gary speed.

Lee Chapman.

Addicted to UCL football kill them.

• Praise 1

Ahh . . . . Gordon. Leeds from the 70's were a powerhouse. 

I had those picture cards of the English league players  [laugh]

OT a bit: i used to have a set of trump card of soccer players when i was young... no leeds players though, they were all world cup stars.

the youngest among them was kenny dalglish... [laugh]

ha ha... you got these almost same names just before me... [thumbsup]

that time Leeds was somebody... unlike now...

• Praise 1

OT a bit: i used to have a set of trump card of soccer players when i was young... no leeds players though, they were all world cup stars.

ha ha... you got these almost same names just before me... [thumbsup]

that time Leeds was somebody... unlike now...

hehe i thought you copied me

no lah... when i started typing - and got interrupted - your post hasn't appeared leh...

got article said Cantona was offered to Liverpool first, but Souness didn't take him, so he went to Leeds instead... The rest is history...

cantona training regime included kungfu fighting where LFC does not believe in. Hence the deal broke down. 

A young Kenny Dalglish? Wow I didn't know you were that old.

When I was young Kenny was already about to retire and made himself

player manager.

:D

• Praise 1

I think Huddersfield should get Phil Neville as their next manager.

I have seen Phil on TV talking tactics on what this manager should

have done and what that manager should have done. The way he talked

as if he could have done better. Huddersfield should give him a chance.

:D

43d4b0fbce2d2b68522e4209cb769634.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1