EPL 18/19 - New Season Begins

kdash

Harry Maguire looks bound for City as United drops out of the race due to huge fee demanded. As I posted earlier, United don't want to be carrot head n are more prudent in their buys.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/harry-maguire-transfer-shocker-man-17263101

Anyway this Maguire, I don’t see what’s the big deal about him. It’s just that he's English n more ball playing compared to most English CBs. Leicester wants a fee that surpasses VVD’s price which is madness!

harry maguire is a real set piece threat.

But definitely in terms of football intelligence, defending not close to VVD.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I think he has learnt the tough way n is now more prudent after the Sanchez affair. So many of United’s opening offers this summer were lowballs which is not Woodward’s way previously.

To be fair, as I mentioned before Sanchez gets such high pay cos he was almost on a free n that’s why some players like to leave on a free cos the transfer fee saved by the buying club gets into their pay packets instead (not all but quite a fair bit).

I don't think the negotiating part is really an issue. 

Other than sanchez, Man U has not really paid over the odds for any player in retrospect except pogba which seemed shocking at first, but the neymar move subsequently put it in perspective.

It's more of just the identification of players and changing managers more of an issue.

Other than sanchez, Man U has not really paid over the odds for any player in retrospect except pogba which seemed shocking at first, but the neymar move subsequently put it in perspective.

It's more of just the identification of players and changing managers more of an issue.

Woodward is not a football guy n hence Fergie actually recommended Steve Walsh (ex Leicester) who discovered Kante, Mahrez amongst others (though he flopped at Everton n was removed) for the DoF job but Woodward refused though there is some talk on Rio Ferdinand/Darren Fletcher/van der Sar being recruited for the role but so far nothing.

Anyway, losing a legendary Mgr will take some time to replace but yes the structure at OT seems haphazard n not organised. Gunners facing the same issue once Wenger left but they seem better prepared n I think Emery will come good eventually but their issue more on penny pinching owner.

• Praise 3

(edited)

Woodward is not a football guy n hence Fergie actually recommended Steve Walsh (ex Leicester) who discovered Kante, Mahrez amongst others (though he flopped at Everton n was removed) for the DoF job but Woodward refused though there is some talk on Rio Ferdinand/Darren Fletcher/van der Sar being recruited for the role but so far nothing.

Anyway, losing a legendary Mgr will take some time to replace but yes the structure at OT seems haphazard n not organised. Gunners facing the same issue once Wenger left but they seem better prepared n I think Emery will come good eventually but their issue more on penny pinching owner.

Arsenal is like a better newcastle in terms of management.

At least Emery has UEFA cups x 3 to his name as a manger. 

Yup the footballing side structure is not there at OT. I'm surprised after all the talk, there was still no DOF or similar type of position installed. 

Well Gary N keeps harping on the same issue.

Edited by Lala81

100m lol.

it dun help that maguire is very loyal to leicester.

i salute him for that .

see how vdd force his move to pools, really disgusted

I think Leicester holds the upper hand on this transfer cos Maguire is on a long term contract n hence dare ask this kind of astronomical price!

City wants to replace Kompany but they do have Stones, Otamendi n Laporte already so to pay so much for Maguire doesn’t make sense. Their priority is to get back up for Fernandinho cos they missed out on Jorginho last summer. Now the reputed target is Rodri from Ath Madrid for £62mil

• Praise 3

Supercharged

Harry Maguire looks bound for City as United drops out of the race due to huge fee demanded. As I posted earlier, United don't want to be carrot head n are more prudent in their buys.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/harry-maguire-transfer-shocker-man-17263101

Anyway this Maguire, I donât see whatâs the big deal about him. Itâs just that he's English n more ball playing compared to most English CBs. Leicester wants a fee that surpasses VVDâs price which is madness!

I mean if hes non english. He will be half price.

80m too much for a english cb

Stan Ternent was the scout from hull who couted robertson and mcguire whom hull eventually signed.

There are good players who need to spend sometime in the lower leagues to aid in their development. With the hard work, the quality will eventually be magnified.

It is he prodigy type whose career seldom last thru out their career. Case in point, ronaldinho kaka...

Stan Ternent was the scout from hull who couted robertson and mcguire whom hull eventually signed.

There are good players who need to spend sometime in the lower leagues to aid in their development. With the hard work, the quality will eventually be magnified.

It is he prodigy type whose career seldom last thru out their career. Case in point, ronaldinho kaka...

Yes there is undoubtedly talent in the lower leagues but top clubs are impatient n these lower league players, youths etc are put under immense pressure when they are fielded n expectations are to hit the ground running.

Klopp n Pochettino are good at identifying raw talent n nurturing them n it’s no surprise their clubs are amongst the most successful n were the 2 UCL finalists. It helps that the owners n board at these 2 clubs trust their Mgrs n give them full backing. This is priceless but I suppose u need to prove your worth to the guys upstairs before they can trust u ie u got to earn it.

• Praise 3

I think Leicester holds the upper hand on this transfer cos Maguire is on a long term contract n hence dare ask this kind of astronomical price!

City wants to replace Kompany but they do have Stones, Otamendi n Laporte already so to pay so much for Maguire doesn’t make sense. Their priority is to get back up for Fernandinho cos they missed out on Jorginho last summer. Now the reputed target is Rodri from Ath Madrid for £62mil

otamendi is leaving i think, 

and fabian delph might be leaving also.

they quite desperate for  homegrown player

• Praise 1

otamendi is leaving i think,

and fabian delph might be leaving also.

they quite desperate for homegrown player

U are right on the need for City to have more English players and possible Delph leaving will only add to the problem. So they may be the carrot head for Maguire.

If all fails, they can always sign Drinkwater from Chelsea to cover for Fernandinho

• Praise 3

Anyway this Maguire, I don’t see what’s the big deal about him. It’s just that he's English n more ball playing compared to most English CBs. Leicester wants a fee that surpasses VVD’s price which is madness!

Why City keeps buying? They never use John Stones anymore?? Wasn't he touted to be the next big thing when signed with that humongous fee that, was it 2-3 yr ago? I didn't think he was great, but he was certainly viewed like what De Ligt is now...

Maguire & Leicester. Quite strange actually. Leicester reminds me of Southampton. How come a non-top-6 (heck, in fact before they 1-5000 odd year, they were relegation candidate) team can keep producing good defenders? Morgan and Hugh were half of the reason in the year they won the league, apart from Mahrez, Kante, Vardy.

Then now they found Maguire, whom i was actually quite impressed with, in the sense that he's in a big fish in a small pond. And in a period where many of the more established big name defenders were leaking goals so badly, he was actually pretty decent.

But he lacks speed, that's for sure.

Now everything player price also inflated. If Leicester values him at 80 mil, then how much would let's say, Paulo Maldini at his prime, be worth today??

• Praise 2

hmm... Apart from Pogba, there was also de Maria, Falcao, Martial, etc. whom Man U spent a lot on. Martial at least showed potential but development has been disrupted. The rest were flops.

Anyway, the core of the greats of Fergie era were mostly home grown, plus a few good signings and there was stability. Now there is no such thing: no main core, no big-name manager, no great players... I see a similarity in them now, as when Dalglish abruptly quit as Pool manager the first time round. The only question now is how many years will they take to get back to the top.

hmm... Apart from Pogba, there was also de Maria, Falcao, Martial, etc. whom Man U spent a lot on. Martial at least showed potential but development has been disrupted. The rest were flops.

Anyway, the core of the greats of Fergie era were mostly home grown, plus a few good signings and there was stability. Now there is no such thing: no main core, no big-name manager, no great players... I see a similarity in them now, as when Dalglish abruptly quit as Pool manager the first time round. The only question now is how many years will they take to get back to the top.

Given the reputation of the former two, i don't think what they cost was out of proportion.

I don't think they have bought poorly, just disjointed buying.

• Praise 1

Don’t so sad bro, consecutive non participation in UCL might wake Kroenke & gang up when he sees players not wanting to join n revenue decline etc

Think Pool owners when first joined also abit tight fisted with value buys etc but they changed n put their money where their mouths are so u can nvr tell, good luck!

i actually don't mind if we play all youngsters and even out of top 6 while the youngsters are gaining experience

what i getting bored off is playing older non performers and loaning the youngsters out

just put all the transfer money into defence and bring back smith rowe and reiss nelson.

• Praise 1

i actually don't mind if we play all youngsters and even out of top 6 while the youngsters are gaining experience

what i getting bored off is playing older non performers and loaning the youngsters out

just put all the transfer money into defence and bring back smith rowe and reiss nelson.

who is bad? Other than the shockingly bad Mustafi 

xhaka? ozil? 

the 2 strikers obviously earn their pay. 

actually i wont call de maria flop.

his manager didnt play him right.

martial is doing ok lots of potential, if they sell, man u wont lose money on him.

falcao and sanchez is the 2 main poor signing.

in fact i dun think man u current defender are that bad, they only need a right back cover.

bailly lindelof are quite decent,

smalling and jones are former england defender, they dun turn back over night.

if the team concede goal u cannot keep blaming the def, must see how the team play and how they def as a whole.

chelsea is good example. the same batch of defender, almost no changes at all.

during conte time and sarri's, the def is totally different.

u dun go and blame and replace chelsea centre back if they concede goal during sarri period.

• Praise 3

(edited)

who is bad? Other than the shockingly bad Mustafi 

xhaka? ozil? 

the 2 strikers obviously earn their pay. 

xhaka, too slow in midfield

elney - not sure his purpose

miki and iwobi - inconsistent

ozil - mystery

ramsey - was leaving

these are players that should not be played if they are not performing.

can play wilock brothers, esr, reiss nelson, even trying eddie nekiteh as a winger in place of the above 4 midfielders

but by loaning the youngsters out... the established players places become almost a certainty

beside auba and laca

let's see the the attacking stats

Goals - top 5 (exclude auba and laca)

miki -6

ozil - 5

ramsey - 4

xaka - 4

iwobi -3

Assists - top 5 ( include auba and laca)

laca - 8

ramsey - 6

iwobi - 6

bellarin - 6 (out for half season  [:|] )

auba - 5

kola - 5

then you have a old defence in kos, monreal, sokaratis and lich. mustafi is another mystery

Edited by Galantspeedz
  • Praise 4

actually i wont call de maria flop.

his manager didnt play him right.

martial is doing ok lots of potential, if they sell, man u wont lose money on him.

falcao and sanchez is the 2 main poor signing.

in fact i dun think man u current defender are that bad, they only need a right back cover.

bailly lindelof are quite decent,

smalling and jones are former england defender, they dun turn back over night.

if the team concede goal u cannot keep blaming the def, must see how the team play and how they def as a whole.

chelsea is good example. the same batch of defender, almost no changes at all.

during conte time and sarri's, the def is totally different.

u dun go and blame and replace chelsea centre back if they concede goal during sarri period.

I dunno why, but having heard of de Maria before his Utd stint, i was very scared of him whenever the team i supported played against him. But after that, i was not scared liao [laugh]

Think poor signings that didn't work out, still got lah. Like Fred also blew hot and cold, well, mostly cold...

In terms of defence, Jones is too injury prone i feel. And Smalling reminds me of Skrtel, and is a disaster waiting to happen. Likes to manhandle players in the area. It's a matter of time before they concede more penalties and dangerous free kicks.

But it's true that the playing style is crucial to the results. Let's see if a striker by trade, can improve the defence of the team :D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1