COE Bidding – 1st Round of August 2018

Carbon82

Market forces will adjust prices with COE levels as well as demand and supply of car models made available to the market place. This is not economic 101, this is common sense.

I edited for ya to reflect accurately the car market locally. Without cost transparency (which isn’t accurate), the prices won’t be too different from now.

You are right that supply and demand will ultimately determine price especially so for limited resources like car and property.  However, with more information, market will be more efficient. The stock market is the most efficient market and hence prices react very fast with changes in information or new information.

Information on car and car costs are not easily understood and such information are not current and hence the car market is much less efficient. Hence, ADs have more control over price. That is also the reason why LTA publishes so much data on car and car costs to make the car market as efficient as possible. Sorry for the heavy economics lessons.

Supersonic

I see so far the # of bids are significantly low as of this writing:

CatA = 9

CatB = 17

Does this indicate anything at all or it is usual that the bulk of the bids come in on the last day (which is tomorrow 8th of Aug)

Action normally comes in half an hour before it ends on the day itself.  :ph34r:

Interesting, able to share why u think it will go up? Whereas most ppl say will go down, due to increase in coe quota this quarter and slow down in sale after coe rebound after the 25k and gloomy outlook in the market.

Thanks..

To clear the backlog of orders due to the lower COE previous round. Don't be surprised if the increase in COE quota does not translate to lower COE prices. It's afterall supply and demand. And I feel that the demand for this round should be kinda strong.

• Praise 1

To clear the backlog of orders due to the lower COE previous round. Don't be surprised if the increase in COE quota does not translate to lower COE prices. It's afterall supply and demand. And I feel that the demand for this round should be kinda strong.

Although demand is strong from backlog, backlog are sales made at lower price and this may limit bidding amount placed this round.

anyway, both sides of argument are sound, only time will tell :)

• Praise 1

I think tml coe will go as high as 38k.. kia just launch the Kia Cerato and is fighting for the paper to push out as many car for the initial phase.. letâs see ð¤

Alamak! I should have gone for the 6 bids guaranteed COE.

:)

Alamak! I should have gone for the 6 bids guaranteed COE.

:)

I dunno how true.. But it seems like kia secured alot of deals and mostly guarantee coe (> 500 or more cars?? - idk).. Now they have to make the model branding roar.. So will be aggressive tml and in coming bids.. If not urgent for the car.. Then wait and see how it goes lor.. Worst come worst refund nia..

It normally goes up when there are three weeks in between the bidding exercises because of backlog of orders. I'm guessing this round will go up compared to last round but not by a lot. Maybe 1-2K.

Turbocharged

And also not to forget all the new PHV companies, might affect this round COE bidding?

New PHV doesn't mean new cars. That phase has come to pass. Those who drive PHV, would have driven or driving one. After Uber left the scene, the growth for PHV drivers are severely limited. With no much new drivers, why would new PHV companies (or rental companies) go all out buy new cars and sit idle?? So nope.
  • Praise 2

I dunno how true.. But it seems like kia secured alot of deals and mostly guarantee coe (> 500 or more cars?? - idk).. Now they have to make the model branding roar.. So will be aggressive tml and in coming bids.. If not urgent for the car.. Then wait and see how it goes lor.. Worst come worst refund nia..

Noted. If cannot get after 6 bids. Save for Stinger ver 2:) long long time later..

Action normally comes in half an hour before it ends on the day itself. :ph34r:

Thanks guys for the inputs. Follow-up question to that:

I see QP stays at $1 regardless of the number of bids. Is this variable important now or will only update with the correct figures once bidding is closed?

If you listen to radio nothing but car ads all day. If ppl are booking why need to advertise so aggressively... I think it may go down

I see QP stays at $1 regardless of the number of bids. Is this variable important now or will only update with the correct figures once bidding is closed?

Someone put in $1 bid and still one of the "successful" bid until bid quantity is more than supply (quota)

There are many bids with all kinds of offers and since the number of coe is still sufficient for all the bids, the price stays at the lowest bid which is $1 currently. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1