Where To Source For High Quality Music CD

Yeobt

That CD shop?.... This k now left with Marina Bay sands and Wisma I think... Even then, not pure CD shop but selling a lifestyle.... Buying CD plus high tea at the mbs one.

ya,was doing that in the olden days, high tea at weekends, golf on sundays...

↡ Advertisement

IMO, the quality of the music is largely dependent on the recording rather than the formact, be it wave, flac, mp3 etc. A good recording ripped into 320kbps mp3 will sound way better than one lousy recording ripped into wav or played direct. Esp when driving, no car is perfect silent and I wouldn't expect one to heard big dif between mp3 or wav of the same recording.

currently I am DL YouTube MP3 or 3gp @320.

ok. foc meh.

• Praise 2

that CD shop, last time i bought a 24K CD from great world city

used to buy from there, $50 a piece and some more not original singer  [sweatdrop] 

[laugh]  [laugh]  

• Praise 2

used to buy from there, $50 a piece and some more not original singer [sweatdrop]

[laugh][laugh]

Your purpose back then must not be the CD and looking at something else lah!

now that you mention, i think i remember what was going on then  [laugh]  [laugh]

I always thought that shop wash money one, so many outlet no traffic.

That CD shop?.... This k now left with Marina Bay sands and Wisma I think... Even then, not pure CD shop but selling a lifestyle.... Buying CD plus high tea at the mbs one.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

guys, my current setup is...

1 pair of Hertz HU165 

1 4 ch Amp

1 Electronic cross-over

but control by a stock HU from a 2008 Civic FD. i like this HU becos it has a 6 CD changer inside.

i still not quite sextify with the QS. i feel that my stock HU is not pumping out the juice enough.

now, i decided to change my HU. i want it to be 2 din, hands free phone calling, EQ, can produce good SQ, USB, CD, MP3, MP4, Wav, FLAC files. i love hard bass music, so its good if the HU can produce good low freq. budget $600-$800. any recommendation?

TIA

• Praise 2
  • Dislike 1

Many chio bus there...

Wasted money on those nicely packaged CDs

• Praise 2

guys, my current setup is...

1 pair of Hertz HU165

1 4 ch Amp

1 Electronic cross-over

but control by a stock HU from a 2008 Civic FD. i like this HU becos it has a 6 CD changer inside.

i still not quite sextify with the QS. i feel that my stock HU is not pumping out the juice enough.

now, i decided to change my HU. i want it to be 2 din, hands free phone calling, EQ, can produce good SQ, USB, CD, MP3, MP4, Wav, FLAC files. i love hard bass music, so its good if the HU can produce good low freq. budget $600-$800. any recommendation?

TIA

This budget most people go for the pioneer.... Cheaper go for 5150bt. Can have simple time alignment and bass boost
  • Praise 2

Depending on your preferred genre, some would stick with a certain recording labels and companies while some will stay faithfully to mastering engineer.

As previous contributors have mentioned, there remains a few reputable shops in Adelphi locally where you can still get audio CDs in various formats. 

I think the audio CD industries are still very much alive albeit at a slower pace since the advent of online streaming services. These online outlets do offer higher resolution music download if you are not contented with CD resolution (16 bit/44.1).

• Praise 2

You can download rip CDs to high quality lossless FLACs which most current players should support.

However, most people can't tell the difference between high quality mp3s and FLACs.

I also read somewhere that music after 2000 have very little range anyway.

If you think you can tell the difference, do the test yourself: 

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

In short, you don't really need high quality source to enjoy high quality music. HU, Speakers and amps are more important.

Edited by Nicholas
  • Praise 2

Indeed, it is pretty difficult to distinguish the difference between formats for most people, that is, if it matters at all.

However, I tend to think that the Source itself is still the most important because it is from which the HU, Amp and Speakers (and even cables) seek to draw and deliver.

Of course, there will never be an end to this debate. As far as music appreciation and enjoyment is concerned, it still boils down to individual. :)

Supercharged

What's your music source? CD or MP3 or .....

probably CD + thumbdrive + SD card in wav (would like to try FLAC format)

Depending on your preferred genre, some would stick with a certain recording labels and companies while some will stay faithfully to mastering engineer.

As previous contributors have mentioned, there remains a few reputable shops in Adelphi locally where you can still get audio CDs in various formats. 

I think the audio CD industries are still very much alive albeit at a slower pace since the advent of online streaming services. These online outlets do offer higher resolution music download if you are not contented with CD resolution (16 bit/44.1).

went and bought some CDs there just last week. though i paid $38 for each CD there but i didn't find the SQ any better than those i bought from china town. maybe my ki tou is stock. i dont know. :) 

A good recording ripped into mp3 will sound way better than one ripped in wave file, but poorly recorded.

Many of the newer recording are inferior to those in the 90s

Edited by Hosaybo
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

A good recording ripped into mp3 will sound way better than one ripped in wave file, but poorly recorded.

Many of the newer recording are inferior to those in the 90s

thanks for sharing this. 

am still see see look look for a good HU.

was tempted to get a alpine halo 9 until i read some (many) negative reviews from user.  

hi, just installed a pioneer 5150. big improvement from the stock HU.

looking for advice from you guys to further enhancement of my current system.

if i want to get a DSP, should i get a standalone DSP or a 2 in 1 type (amp with DSP)? if yes, any recommendation for a $1500 budget?

any suggestion welcome. TY

↡ Advertisement